Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

please help! s70 won't start

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 07:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default please help! s70 won't start

I have a 98 s70 turbo that just shuts off after about 15 min. i have replaced the mass air flow and every relay related to fuel and vacuum. I scanned with snap-on scanner and the scanner gave me p0414 Secondary Air Injection System shorted. Since scanning with the scanner, when i turn the key nothing at all??? Can the scanner affect the alarm?

Old 11-08-2009, 10:26 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I hope by now you have gotten this car started. The scanner should not have damaged the alarm, is the alarm light lit or something?

Check to see if you still have fuel. Don't throw parts at the car, that can get expensive. Find the real problem and go from there.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:15 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would start with the underhood fuse box... the one that said "MAIN FUSES, and is located near the strut tower, not the one by the windshield. The main power cable to that often gets overloaded and will corrode and short out, thus not allowing any power to go anywhere. The fact that a code for shorted secondary air injection system came up points you in that direction as well... that secondary air system uses a LOT of current, and a short in it could overtax an already at- capacity main power wire. Check that wire, then try swapping the 2 yellow relays in that box that are side by side with each other, and see what happens. One of them is the secondary air injection pump relay, the other is the car's main relay. They're the same part number, so just switch 'em if you don't see a problem in that main power wire. A scanner shouldn't have damaged anything at all... it's likely just a coincidence.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:54 AM
Default please help! s70 won't start

I tried swapping the relays and still no go. I also bought a new antenna ring as well and no sucess. The main relay for the fuel and ecu has no power at all, i can jump the 3 positions and get the ecu and fuel but when we scan it... No codes?? It also still won't turn over. All of the power cables are clean ant tight in the main relay box as well.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:10 AM

I tried swapping the relays and still no go. I also bought a new antenna ring as well and no sucess. The main relay for the fuel and ecu has no power at all, i can jump the 3 positions and get the ecu and fuel but when we scan it... No codes?? It also still won't turn over. All of the power cables are clean ant tight in the main relay box as well.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:23 AM

we also checked the starter and it is fine as well

Old 11-09-2009, 09:33 AM

Okay... sounds like something has screwed up the alarm. The alarm, when activated, will kill the ECU, starter, and fuel pump. Now, you have a '98, which doesn't have the immobilizer, assuming you're in North America... I think '98s had immobilizer in Europe and other areas... but anyhow, next step is look at the alarm.

Old 11-09-2009, 03:32 PM

If i change the alarm box, will i have to get new keys or do they talk to the ecu?

Old 11-15-2009, 11:51 AM

I think i have found the problem... It needs gas and a match! No, seriously i still can't figure out whats going on with this car. I changed the alarm module and the module above the spedo and still no luck. the car has no power to the ecu and no power to the starter. The alarm hasn't shown any signs of it having a problem but my friend from volvo thought it may be what was causing the problem so thats why i tried the new ones. when i turn the key to start the car, there is a relay under the passenger seat that makes a boink sound. When i turn the key off it does it again. Could this be a problem?

Old 11-30-2009, 08:32 PM

tried the alarm and no go, anyone else have any answers?

Old 11-30-2009, 09:27 PM

wiring somewhere?

Old 12-01-2009, 09:20 AM

I can jump the ecu relay and get the fuel pump and the check engine light on. then i can jump the starter and the car turns over but won't start, theres aparently still no
spark. I swapped out the alarm module under the lower left drivers side dash and nothing happened. The alarm light on the dash doesn’t blink either. With the original alarm or the used one, it doesn't seem to matter. I had a Volvo tech look at it at my house and he seems lost so I’m a little afraid to take it to the dealer. Not to mention, I’ve heard they will rip you off here where I am. This dealer doesn't have a good reputation

Old 12-02-2009, 03:32 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Beninit, sounds like something with the alarm to me as well. Cars also have what is called a Crank Shaft Position Sensor. If that goes bad, the car usually cranks but will not start. There is another part that is simular to the CSPS that will immobilize a car but I can't remember what it is.

But with your alarm not coming on is sounds like something with that. But I can't imagine that killing a car while it is running. Sounds like some kind of relay that just killed the ignition. There is a switch that connects the shifter to the ignition in late '90 model Volvo's that can mess with the ignition, ask someone about that.

At the point where you have a car that you can't get started or running, I think you need to leave it parked until you can have the dealer check it out. Yes that means a tow and probably a $95 diagnostic fee.