Go Back   Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum > Volvo Vehicles > Volvo S70
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Volvo Forums!
Welcome to Volvo Forums,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Volvo Forums today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-30-2009, 07:36 AM

Default key turning full circle in ignition?

Volvo S70, key goes in the ignition just fine, starts the car fine, shuts off ok. But when I turn it off if i dont stop at position "0" and pull the key out, it would go full turn before coming back to "0" position. Anothewords, it spins in the ignition. I was wondering would this require replacement of whole ignition mechanicm or is there a way around it? Key is never stuck in ignition, it always comes in and out fine but just the fact that its able to spin is making me nervous. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 11-30-2009, 09:35 AM

Well, there's 2 possibilities here. One is that the electrical part of the ignition switch is failing. These go bad quite often, and aren't that hard to change. The switch can be had for around $50. The other possibility is that the anti- theft device in the ignition switch is getting worn out. There is a device in all S70 ignition switches and door locks that keeps the whole lock mechanism from turning if someone tries to force the lock. Try this some time(all you other S70 owners!)- stick your key only about halfway into the door or ignition lock, and turn real hard- the cylinder will "slip" and spin all the way around before locking back into place, without actually turning the lock. If this mechanism is wearing out or has failed on your car, then yes, you'll need a new lock cylinder.
'93 Volvo 940 Turbo wagon, 141k miles- Workhorse/ toolbox.
'88 Mercedes 190E 2.3- bought to fix up and sell, but I kinda like the little old beast, so I'm holding on to it for a little while.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:58 AM

thanks, I hope its only electrical part, i did replace one before on my friends car, easy job.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:20 PM
Administrator

My vote is bad ignition lock assembly. I do to many of them. Did one last week.
1994 N/A 5-speed wagon Purple (daughters)
Old 12-01-2009, 08:20 AM

thanks tech! that means new lock assembly, new keys, programing etc..anotherwords, big bucks?

Last edited by volvolini; 12-01-2009 at 08:23 AM.
Old 12-01-2009, 07:30 PM
Administrator

No programming. You order it by the Vin# and it comes keyed to your key. Just install and go. You are changing a mechanical part not an electrical part.
1994 N/A 5-speed wagon Purple (daughters)
Old 12-02-2009, 06:38 AM

ok, thanks tech!
Old 12-02-2009, 06:38 AM

Tags
change, completely, cylindervolvo, fob, ignition, key, lock, problems, programming, s70, switch, turns, v70, volvo, xc90