Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

My S70 has several issues...

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 03:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My S70 has several issues...

I know I'm late in this game, but, I just bought MY '98 Volvo S70 and have the same, identical problems....is this going to end up being a nickel-and-dime job on a used car, or should I just give up on it? ABS light is on, SVC Engine light is in, Brake light is on..I've had to replace just about every exterior light, I've had the oil changed, the alternator replaced, the spark plugs replaced, the timing belt (ENTIRE assembly, form water pump to tension belts) replaced...it loses power "intermittently" it had DIED twice, the speedo works "intermittently", but the tach works consistently (that's how I judge my speed....I can't WAIT to get pulled over!). I know I"m missing on the 3rd cylindar, but, I'm also told it'll be $1200 just to have the cover taken off. Other than that, "it runs well", but, I can't trust it. It gets about 22-26 mpg, even if it is a t5 missing on the third cylinder. It vibrates at between 55-60mpg, after about 60, it's a pretty smooth ride. I've only had the car for about 2 1/5 months, and drive it about 50 miles per day. I'd like to be able to trust it to take a nice road trip, but, at this rate, I'm not sure....The engine runs WELL 99% of the time..but, it's that 1% that concerns me most of the time. I've heard the ABS could cost me as much as $1000 to replace JUST to be sure the dashboard readings are correct...and I've done my research TOO.

Old 10-06-2014, 09:58 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Hi Harvey, welcome to the forum.

Man, your last statement is so far off I had to post and move your post to it's own thread.

If you have done any research, you would know that the ABS issue can be fixed for less than $100 and 1 hour. My link below can take you to a site that will either sell you a unit or rebuild yours.

Other issues you list can be fixed yourself if you know how to replace a light bulb in a ceiling fan and are willing to purchase $80 worth of tools. Almost every issue is covered in the STICKY threads and all of these issues have DETAILED VIDEOS on YouTube on how to fix them.

If you are not willing to turn a wrench, I suggest you get rid of that car as soon as you can.

Old 10-07-2014, 09:38 PM
Default Really?

That was kind of snide, man. I'm a NEW OWNER of a USED CAR, and I've been doing research. I FOUND that site for the ABS last night AFTER I posted the comment. I ALSO found YOUR site as I was doing more research....and of course, I know how to turn a wrench. What I've learned in my research is that these cars can be quite temperamental. Man, where do you get off? My car is primarily my transportation, NOT my FAMILY.

Last edited by wdharvey11; 10-07-2014 at 09:42 PM.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:18 PM

I can't help but laugh man, I apologize. If I read this earlier and posted first I might have said the same thing when you said an ABS unit in an 850 is about 1k, then saying you have done your research.

I am pretty sure rspi said that comment as in no way to belittle you. I am happy I am not a moderator because some of the questions and posts I see by new people are terrible. He has to respond to them and if you read some, he always has to start with the basics which is look at these videos and all these threads that say exactly what you are asking. Too many people are lazy and don't search for the answer on the site.

We are all different but I don't feel like you should have gotten that upset over 1 post. He was just trying to point you in the right direction. Hey, we all need some help sometimes and that is why you came to this site.

Old 10-08-2014, 02:45 AM

It's an S 70. I don't care if you laugh about it or not. I read the basics, I've done the "basics" before I even read his posts. NOW, I'm getting to the smaller parts, the bits and pieces...what do you think that is to laugh about? As I said before, I know how to turn a wrench. I'm not going to do major mechanical. I've contacted the guy about the ABS unit. You think it's funny when someone puts their hard earned cash into a car and they are trying to work on it, and ask advice? If you can't actually offer me constructive advice without your hearty "laugh", why did you even respond? I could care less how you feel about how I got upset about it. That's not YOUR problem, now, is it? Do all "Volvo" owners seem to think they are above others? Hell, man, I'm asking a question, I"m doing what I can to keep my ride on the road. Is this why Mr. Volvo "Administrator" decided to give me my own "thread"? Not only that, he decided to send me a personal EMAIL about this? Yeah, I'll try to keep up, but, I don't have a bottomless wallet. Don't give me attitude. I got wrenches, and I got mechanics. I also did the car-fax as well as a couple of other research groups on the car. I know the date the car came into the United States, I know who the original owner was, I know who the second owner was, I've spoken with a couple of the mechanics that have worked on the car before I bought it. I've replaced the timing belt, the alternator, the battery, the spark plugs, most of the lighting (exterior), and I'd really like to be able to get at least a PORTION of what I've put into it if I should decide to sell it. As I said, I have no bottomless wallet. But, if I can get this car to give me a few years of service, I'll be happy with it. Other than that, I might should look around a bit. If this guy is going to be snide about it, and if others are going to laugh at me about it, then, I don't really want to be a part of his community. I'm not into restoration, I'm in TRANSPORTATION. This car is pretty nice, I like it, and there are a few issues I'd like to get resolved. But, remember, I'm not STUPID.

I've seen a few other posts on this site where someone had to defend themselves for asking a question.....I'm not that person.

Last edited by wdharvey11; 10-08-2014 at 02:58 AM.
Old 10-08-2014, 12:56 PM

Never in any of these reply's do I see anyone calling you stupid or talking about how incompetent you are( neither was I giving you attitude, I simply took it upon myself to defend rspi's comment). That comment about turning a wrench is because if you can't then it will cost you much more money then these cars are worth, otherwise the parts are fairly cheap and most people don't realize that. I was just laughing at just how fast you got pissed off man. I hope you start having better days. I totally understand what it means to be frustrated about something.

I guarantee he gave you your own thread to keep everything organized and because you might have posted in a wrong spot( I never saw your post until recently). I have posted in a wrong spot before once and he moved it also and I see that happen all the time.

Look, never did I comment to make you mad, like I said I just can't believe how pissed off you are already. I am prepared to move on, are you?

Moving on; service light really means nothing. That comes on every certain amount of miles as just a reminder. Did you replace the rest of the ignition like the distributor cap and rotor or the wires? Those are all cheap and part of a stage 0. Check for any vacuum leaks. That alone can cause power loss or stalling. Get that abs unit replaced like I believe you are doing. I would also check some of the relays as a certain few are known to be faulty over time.

Old 10-08-2014, 07:15 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by wdharvey11
Yeah, I'll try to keep up, but, I don't have a bottomless wallet.
Dude, not once in any of your abrasive post have I seen any information requesting help, just harsh words about the car and towards other members. I moved your post in hopes that you would get a little help, if that is what you are seeking.

The point in my above post was to let you know that these cars require CONSTANT care. If that is something you are not interested in giving the car, yes you should move on. Cut your loses while they are fresh.

Also, as for you doing your research, had you researched the model, and not simply the specific vehicle, you would have seen the thousands of post about the work that people have to do to these cars to keep them on the road. I usually recommend that people NOT BUY THESE CARS if they are not interested in caring for them on a weekly basis.

As for the rest of your attitude, I kinda feel sorry for those around you, that have to live with it daily.

Old 10-08-2014, 07:20 PM
Administrator

oblems....is this going to end up being a nickel-and-dime job on a used car, or should I just give up on it? .
In short, yes and yes.

Old 10-08-2014, 07:59 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

You have come here asking for help and contributed nothing but insults to those helping. Good luck getting help here in the future.

Old 10-09-2014, 02:45 AM
Default Why the personal attacks?

Listen, guys....I'm not asking for a personal attack on ME or MY decision to buy this car. I'm not asking ANY ONE of you to make this a personal attack. Yet, some of the responses I'm reading here are from people who seem to think it's "ok" to really be abrasive and think a new "owner" is not "entitled".

I've had better arguments with bible thumpers.

Now, let's get off the personal attacks, and let's try to do something constructive, shall we? I can afford a few repairs on this car, and can work on them as we go through it. I have to have my "hand held" if you will, because, as you all have admitted, these cars will require a bit of maintenance. I've already experienced that.

I've had the timing belt (the entire mechanism, including the water pump and the tension belts) replaced. I've replaced the alternator, the spark plugs, the battery, and practically every light on all four corners. The car runs well, isn't quick to pick up speed, but, it gets me there, and can hold it's own on the interstate. I researched it on CarFax as well as a couple of other sites I could trace the car on before I bought it. I'm the third owner of this 98 S70. I KNOW a used car (I've NEVER EVER owned a NEW car) requires a bit of maintenance. I'm NOT a child, and won't be treated like one. I'm asking questions (as if I WERE a child, according to some of the "volvo" owners)... But, I'm asking questions as an ADULT.

I did NOT come here to be attacked, and I'll stand my ground on that one. Yet, someone (RSPI) said this, and I quote: "

As for the rest of your attitude, I kinda feel sorry for those around you, that have to live with it daily."

WTF was THAT if not a personal attack? You don't know me from ADAM, you arrogant ****.

Last edited by wdharvey11; 10-09-2014 at 02:46 AM. Reason: got more to say
Old 10-09-2014, 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by ES6T
You have come here asking for help and contributed nothing but insults to those helping. Good luck getting help here in the future.
Insults? How have I been insulting to anyone other than defending myself against arrogance?

Old 10-09-2014, 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by H0lD mY d6InK
Never in any of these reply's do I see anyone calling you stupid or talking about how incompetent you are( neither was I giving you attitude, I simply took it upon myself to defend rspi's comment). That comment about turning a wrench is because if you can't then it will cost you much more money then these cars are worth, otherwise the parts are fairly cheap and most people don't realize that. I was just laughing at just how fast you got pissed off man. I hope you start having better days. I totally understand what it means to be frustrated about something.

I guarantee he gave you your own thread to keep everything organized and because you might have posted in a wrong spot( I never saw your post until recently). I have posted in a wrong spot before once and he moved it also and I see that happen all the time.

Look, never did I comment to make you mad, like I said I just can't believe how pissed off you are already. I am prepared to move on, are you?

Moving on; service light really means nothing. That comes on every certain amount of miles as just a reminder. Did you replace the rest of the ignition like the distributor cap and rotor or the wires? Those are all cheap and part of a stage 0. Check for any vacuum leaks. That alone can cause power loss or stalling. Get that abs unit replaced like I believe you are doing. I would also check some of the relays as a certain few are known to be faulty over time.
I got pissed off in his ARROGANCE, man. I never got pissed off at the advice I've seen here. I've read many of the posts on this site, and have taken them to heart, as the new owner of an older Volvo. I've also been an owner of previously used cars with MANY miles on them, but, this is my first Volvo. I've had the Chevy's, the Fords, etc...I've put MANY miles on them. I actually like this car, and there is work I need to do...but, if I ask a question that may seem STUPID to some, it's NOT stupid to ME, and I'll NOT be treated with disrespect because of my own lack of knowledge of what to expect. Hell, I've only had the car for a couple of months, and I've put about $1000 into it what with the timing assembly and the alternator. I'm not mad at ANYONE about that. THOSE are general things you can expect to do when you buy ANY used car.

HOWEVER, I'll NOT be spoken to in a condescending manner by "enthusiasts" who think they can TELL someone what to do rather than help them find a way to do it. If you don't get THAT part of what my "anger" is about, then, that's not MY problem, is it?

Old 10-09-2014, 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by H0lD mY d6InK

The rotors are fine. They've been checked. Fuel pump relay is something I'm going to have to do next, and to stop the shuddering at 55-60mph, I'm not sure if having the front suspension replaced is going to help that or not. The upper motor mount has been replaced, as well. But, the suspension problem is not something I can do in my back yard, and will be about as expensive as the timing assembly. I do know the 3rd cylinder is blown on this t5. As long as I keep oil in it, and keep the maintenance on it, I can get by for a while..but, that's an EXPENSIVE repair that I can't do. I don't own my garage. I had a mechanic tell me it would be $1200 just to take the valve cover off...then, the boring would be even more than that.

And, your answer is, to tell you the truth, more of what I was looking for, and I thank you for that. I feel that if I get some of this work done, I'll have a car that will be reliable, trustworthy, and comfortable...something I can trust to take me for a long trip if I so decided to do so.

Old 10-09-2014, 05:51 AM
Super Moderator

Insults? How have I been insulting to anyone other than defending myself against arrogance?
Is that what you call dragging up a 3 year old post just to insult someone who posted accurate information?

Old 10-09-2014, 01:22 PM

Honestly I think things have been blown out of proportion on both sides slightly. The art of communication is actually quite hard, as you must communicate clearly and concisely or else you risk your words being interpreted with error.

As I have said before, I replied to defend rspi's comment as I am pretty sure he meant no harm when saying that. In the way he worded his first response I can see how that might have come across as being snide. We are all different and interpret things differently, that being said I believe we all need to just cap this and stop this before it really gets into a bigger mess. There is no reason to be sending messages like that rspi. I know his argument is mostly with you, but the way you worded it comes off as you being better and bigger( I am talking about that private message that says how you feel sorry for people around him). As a moderator and from all the helpful videos you make, I believe you are better then that.

Now I am not exempt from this, and I say that because me saying I laughed did not help, that is simply my humor. Like I said I believe we all meant no harm, just that things boiled over really fast.

There is nothing wrong with being hot-headed like you said you are, just don't let the anger block your vision and mind. No one was attacking you at first.

So after all that I am considering this debacle slash argument closed henceforth. If you have any left-over feelings go punch a pillow and imagine our website names listed on them. We are all better than this than to let this continue!!

Old 10-09-2014, 01:24 PM

Forgot to mention that I would be happy to keep up with you. One question though, please tell me you did not buy that car knowing about that blown cylinder........

Old 10-09-2014, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator

A car with a blown cylinder will run like crap all the time, not intermittently. So I question that diagnosis. If it was truly a dead cylinder, putting any money into the car is a waste unless you are fixing that.

Last edited by ES6T; 10-09-2014 at 08:32 PM.
Old 10-09-2014, 08:30 PM

Yeah, kinda wondering about that myself. Did you do a compression test on the engine to see how things are holding up?

Old 10-09-2014, 09:15 PM

lol, you should have left it as carp instead of crap. Made it funnier to me.

Old 10-09-2014, 09:57 PM
Super Moderator

Haha stupid autocorrect

Quick Reply: My S70 has several issues...