Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

need help with drivability issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2016, 11:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question need help with drivability issue

So i just acquired a 2000 Volvo S70 from a friend so I'm fairly new to the Volvo scene. The trans cooler hose popped off so i reinstalled it. Initially the ABS and the STC/Tracs light would come one intermittently and the service light at a separate occasion. I went to drive it when it feels like its about to shift i get a screech and the car slows itself down almost as if the front brakes are engaging by themselves. I read the it could possibly be the ABS control module so i got one from the junk yard and swapped it same thing. No DTC's present. Could anyone possibly give me some insight on what to do. Engine runs strong otherwise.

Old 08-07-2016, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

First thing is first......if the transmission cooler hose popped off DO NOT DRIVE IT until you check the transmission fluid level. If you are low on trans fluid you could damage the transmission. This could easily cause the screech and other issues when it is about to shift. Actually, it might just be a good idea to drain and refill with the correct type of fresh fluid. The service light is nothing more than a light that comes on at a set interval to remind you that you are due for an oil change It can be reset by a dealer or you can buy the scan tool to reset it for about $50 online. The ABS/TRACs light is almost definitely the ABS module. Do a search for Victor Rocha, and contact him. His business rebulids and repairs faulty ABS modules. He is very good and does the work at a good price. First thing is the transmission issue though, the rest can come later. Hope this helps.

Old 08-07-2016, 01:18 PM

I had it towed to my house from my friends, I replaced the o-ring and reattached the trans cooler hose to the transmission,topped off trans fluid at normal operation temperature fluid is at the hot line. Used DexIII that's what he was using, is this the correct fluid for these cars? I did not try to drive it until i made sure the trans fluid was full. The abs control module I got a replacement from the junk yard free of charge so I swapped that out.

Last edited by bizzle2288; 08-07-2016 at 01:33 PM.
Old 08-07-2016, 02:19 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bizzle2288
I had it towed to my house from my friends, I replaced the o-ring and reattached the trans cooler hose to the transmission,topped off trans fluid at normal operation temperature fluid is at the hot line. Used DexIII that's what he was using, is this the correct fluid for these cars? I did not try to drive it until i made sure the trans fluid was full. The abs control module I got a replacement from the junk yard free of charge so I swapped that out.
Volvo had both 4 and 5 speed automatics in 2000. I believe the turbos used the 4 speed (uses Dextron) and the non-turbo's used the 5 speed (special synthetic) DO NOT USE DEXTRON IN THE 5 SPEED TRANSMISSION - it will kill it.

Old 08-07-2016, 02:48 PM

He had already added DexIII -___- I knew I shouldn't have listened to him. I'm gonna drain it and see if putting in the correct fluid will help. Thanks for your help guys.

Old 08-08-2016, 08:21 AM
Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

Dumb question here. what happens after "i get a screech and the car slows itself down almost as if the front brakes are engaging by themselves"

Have you gotten past this point and into a higher gear?

Old 08-08-2016, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by firebirdparts
Dumb question here. what happens after "i get a screech and the car slows itself down almost as if the front brakes are engaging by themselves"

Have you gotten past this point and into a higher gear?
No, seem to always happen at the same point.

Old 08-08-2016, 12:47 PM

What happens after that? Drive home in first gear?

If you have never made it past this point, I was thinking it might be a hard part failure. What's slowing you down is that the transmission is mechanically locked up in that next gear, whatever it is.

Last edited by firebirdparts; 08-08-2016 at 04:34 PM.
Old 08-08-2016, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by firebirdparts
What happens after that? Drive home in first gear?

If you have never made it past this point, I was thinking it might be a hard part failure. What's showing you down is that the transmission is mechanically locked up in that next gear, whatever it is.
Went around the block in 1st gear, 1st time trying to drive it since the cooler hose being repaired and it being towed to me house. Did this screech and slowed itself down all the way around the block, quite embarassing.

Old 08-08-2016, 04:36 PM

You can see where this pattern makes sense for a transmission that is mechanically locked up solid in 2nd gear, but otherwise working.

Old 08-08-2016, 10:43 PM

Could also be a wheel speed sensor/ tracs sensor issue. You could pull the fuse(s) for them and see if it's still happening. The light will still be on but the issues should go away. I have a bad ABS controller and the ABS would kick in when it wasn't needed, pulled the fuse till I can get it replaced, and it hasn't kicked in since.

On a "cheepy" scan tool you only get engine malfunction codes. Abs, trans, srs and other systems can't be read. Might be worth finding diagnostics at a box shop if they have a scanner that can read them and narrow down your search. VIDA dice would be preferable but, I know corporate Bridgestone stores (Firestone, Tires Plus, Wheel Works... make sure it's corporate) have Autel Maxisys scanners that can read codes from different systems on Volvo.

Old 08-08-2016, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Dead_Eric
Could also be a wheel speed sensor/ tracs sensor issue. You could pull the fuse(s) for them and see if it's still happening. The light will still be on but the issues should go away. I have a bad ABS controller and the ABS would kick in when it wasn't needed, pulled the fuse till I can get it replaced, and it hasn't kicked in since.

On a "cheepy" scan tool you only get engine malfunction codes. Abs, trans, srs and other systems can't be read. Might be worth finding diagnostics at a box shop if they have a scanner that can read them and narrow down your search. VIDA dice would be preferable but, I know corporate Bridgestone stores (Firestone, Tires Plus, Wheel Works... make sure it's corporate) have Autel Maxisys scanners that can read codes from different systems on Volvo.
Thank you I will try pulling the fuse tomorrow and see if that changes anything.

Old 08-17-2016, 07:49 AM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Any update??

Old 08-17-2016, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Psaboic
Any update??
Need a transaxle, when you put it in winter mode car don't move at all. Hooked it up to a verus, ethos and an autel. All the abs is functioning properly.

Old 08-17-2016, 09:20 AM

I believe you.

Old 09-10-2016, 10:35 AM

Just reading this 3 weeks later, but Smith Volvo, it`s a good thing my S70 is a turbo, otherwise I would have killed a good trans changing it with Dextron. Wow, gotta pay more attention here.

Old 09-10-2016, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by mrcharlie
Just reading this 3 weeks later, but Smith Volvo, it`s a good thing my S70 is a turbo, otherwise I would have killed a good trans changing it with Dextron. Wow, gotta pay more attention here.
Initially wasn't my car, previous owner was the one who initially put DEXIII in it. Had it towed to my house to fix the cooler line. And bam junk transmission was told NOTHING was wrong with it. It is now for sale for parts or repair.

Old 09-10-2016, 01:30 PM

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you had anything to do with the transmission failure. You obviously got shafted on the whole deal. I was just saying that I dodged a bullet. Had my S70 been a non turbo the trans would be smoked `cause I changed the fluid with the wrong type. I wish you the best of luck in getting all you can back out of it.