Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

Odd electical issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 05:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd electical issue

My 99 v70 has had this issue for years now and finally want to address. The right blinker light works but the park like does not. The indicator tells me the there is a light out. I put in a new bulb but it didn't fix it. I tried several bulbs with not luck. Everything is stock, any ideas where to start?

Old 02-05-2015, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by lotusing
My 99 v70 has had this issue for years now and finally want to address. The right blinker light works but the park like does not. The indicator tells me the there is a light out. I put in a new bulb but it didn't fix it. I tried several bulbs with not luck. Everything is stock, any ideas where to start?
First....inside the socket....use a test light to see of there is power being sent to the bulb socket WHILE the lights are turned on. If there is NOT any power, then all you simply have to do is run a jumper wire from one of the other parking lamps.

If the blinker is working, that means the socket is getting the proper negative ground connection.

You could search for a break in the wire by tracing the wire from the bulb socket all the way to where it splits from one of the other lamps, but thats alot of work. I would just run a whole new wire, tucked in and out of the way of any moving parts.

Old 02-06-2015, 06:06 PM

Thanks for the help. The blinker is working just the parking light and the warning light tells me its out. I was thinking of running another wire from the other side but wont I still have a warning light on?

Old 02-07-2015, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by lotusing
Thanks for the help. The blinker is working just the parking light and the warning light tells me its out. I was thinking of running another wire from the other side but wont I still have a warning light on?
That's a good question. I know BMW's do a thing called a Lamp Test every time the ignition is turned to the run position. BMW's have a display telling you exactly which light is not working.

Does your Volvo have a separate icon for each light bulb on the car?

If the display simply states that you have a bulb not operating, it is possible that the display operates on amperage draw rather than some fancy computer displaying the actual bulb location.

What I mean is, the car knows how much electrical current is supposed to be drawn when the lights are on. And if there isn't the correct amount of current draw, the dash says you have a bulb out.

One thing to think about is when you do the wire.....
are you going to wire it in series or in parallel

Old 02-07-2015, 08:06 PM

That is a good question Tony. I think it is just a generic warning light. I can try to complete the circuit with a wire and see if it goes out and will post the results.