Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

Passenger exterior handle won't open door.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 05:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passenger exterior handle won't open door.

As the title states, the passenger front door handle won't open the door. It opens from the inside, not the outside.

I've pulled the door panel. When working the door handle, I can see and feel the part that would pull the lock to open the door.
I tried to pull the door handle off after removing the two screws on the side of the door, but couldn't get it to release.
I also attempted to remove the lock actuator after removing those two screws...but it wouldn't come out either.
I was concerned about breaking things since I'm not certain how all the bits and pieces are attached. I didn't want to do further damage so, I put it all back together.

Does anyone have access to diagrams that would display all the pieces involved in removing the actuator and exterior door handle?
If not, can someone please give me detailed instructions on how to remove these pieces without doing damage to either the door handle and actuator?

Thanks for any assistance!

Ken

Last edited by karutunian; 03-21-2010 at 06:11 PM.
Old 03-22-2010, 02:21 PM

Uggghhh....35 views and no suggestions. :-(

Seriously, does anyone have any info pertaining to how the exterior handle is connected to the lock mechanism?

Ken

Old 02-19-2011, 04:54 PM

Ken,

I have similar issue, but door will not open from the inside ... only the outside. I was trying to get off the door panal, but having problems ... how did you learn to get your off?

If I find a detail of the lock mechanism I will let you know.
Regards,
Joe

Old 02-20-2011, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by zimmerj2
Ken,

I have similar issue, but door will not open from the inside ... only the outside. I was trying to get off the door panal, but having problems ... how did you learn to get your off?

If I find a detail of the lock mechanism I will let you know.
Regards,
Joe
i am having this exact problem(ps front door wont open from the inside)

Old 02-23-2011, 03:00 AM

I have not had this problem with my Volvo, but when I used to work at a auto glass shop I would see this alot, mostly on the often stolen hondas, when you pul,l the handle it moves a barinside the door that has a cheap plastic adapter on the end to move the latch, unfortunately, these often break, but can be jury rigged with wire or a clamp until a new adaptor can be found/ordered OR there is a child saftey feature enabled so stop the inside handle from working ( the switch is on the side of the door near the latch). Hope this helps, I will check on the proper steps to removing the door panel, should just be clips though...

Old 08-08-2012, 10:20 PM
Default Exterior Passener Door is now broken....help

Have any of you guys gotten this fixed yet...? apprecaite any help, if someone answere do i get an email telling me to go to this site? anyone know.

just in case im erinjohn08@hotmail.com

thanks
Erin

1994 960 Wagon

Old 08-09-2012, 08:39 AM

I replaced the interior handle and the cable going to the latch mechanism. but i havent owned my volvo in almost 1yrs now.

Old 08-09-2012, 03:18 PM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Did this beginning of the year, unfortunately I've had a few beers since then and the memory is not too good. Took some pictures, it's not hard, just tedious. Think of one of those "Chinese Box Puzzles". Basically you have to take everyhing off. The liitle hole above latch with a rubber stopper in it is too help align things when reassembling. [ATTACH]Passenger exterior handle won't open door.-door-latch-1.jpg

Passenger exterior handle won't open door.-door-latch-2.jpg

Passenger exterior handle won't open door.-door-latch3.jpg

Passenger exterior handle won't open door.-door-latch-5.jpg[/ATTACH]

Old 08-09-2012, 03:24 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

The handle has a slot on an arm that attaches to the top of the latch.

Old 03-14-2021, 04:20 PM

So although this thread is some years old, It looks like there are people who have had problems with both the inside and the outside handles. I have a 2011 C70 and the driver's door will open from the outside but not inside. Took it apart and the cable is all attached and actually does move the little part on the inside of the door but doesn't go so far as to allow the door to open.

Any suggestions?

Old 03-27-2021, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by karutunian
As the title states, the passenger front door handle won't open the door. It opens from the inside, not the outside.

I've pulled the door panel. When working the door handle, I can see and feel the part that would pull the lock to open the door.
I tried to pull the door handle off after removing the two screws on the side of the door, but couldn't get it to release.
I also attempted to remove the lock actuator after removing those two screws...but it wouldn't come out either.
I was concerned about breaking things since I'm not certain how all the bits and pieces are attached. I didn't want to do further damage so, I put it all back together.

Does anyone have access to diagrams that would display all the pieces involved in removing the actuator and exterior door handle?
If not, can someone please give me detailed instructions on how to remove these pieces without doing damage to either the door handle and actuator?

Thanks for any assistance!

Ken

Hi Ken

I don’t have your model but would suggest searching eBay for the part and look for the mechanism to maybe get an idea.

Here is what it looks like for a 2017 XC90

Good Luck!