Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

'98 S70 Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 12:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '98 S70 Won't Start

Daughter's car has had an issue for awhile where it won't start occasionally. Can't really find a pattern, but usual behavior would be ignition turned to start, engine would spin and everything seems fine, and then kind of a "clunk" followed by nothing. If key is turned immediately it may or may not repeat. Until this morning if you waited 20-30 seconds it has always started. This morning she gets in and spins engine and no start. Waits a little and still no start. I have tried a few times now and still won't go. Don't have any codes to report, but I am not sure anything that is reported would be applicable here anyway.

Where should I start troubleshooting this?

Thanks,

Kirk

Old 05-12-2010, 06:12 PM

Sounds like fuel pump.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:29 PM
Banned

Check the battery as well,happened to me .

Old 05-15-2010, 05:17 PM

Bump this up.

Just for giggles tried to start the car again this morning and it spun right up ran for a few seconds and died. Turned key again and spun a little, but no fire. Trying to look for some simple troubleshooting advice.

Thanks,

Kirk

Old 05-16-2010, 11:23 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not sure I am following what you're saying..

Are you having a problem with the engine cranking or just with it starting?

Old 05-17-2010, 06:29 AM

OK, Thanks for looking.

"Usually" car will crank up and almost start, but won't. Then subsequent attempts to start result in little or no cranking. Tried this with a battery boost as well with same result. Also popped cover off of fuel rail test port and depressed valve with no fuel flow. Repeated while engine was cranking with same result. So.... my thoughts would lead me to fuel delivery stuff like fuel pump, possibly relay, I suppose filter is a possible culprit, but given history of this where it has been happening for months with the exception that subsequent starts will work properly until las week.

I only have a volt-ohm meter, but will try to verify proper electrical operation before attempting to replace fuel pump. Looking for a how-to on that now. Anybody know of one.

Thanks,

Kirk

Old 05-17-2010, 08:17 PM

Sounds like you have multiple issues:
  1. Engine not cranking after initial attempts: Probably the starter is on it's last legs. You can verify by measuring battery voltage during cranking; if it drops below approx 9volts, then you have a battery issue. If batt voltage stays good (> 9v) while cranking, then ck voltage during cranking at the starter (not that easy; will likely need a helper). If cranking voltage is significantly lower at the starter, then you have excessive voltage drop across the cables; make sense? Assuming you still see > 9v at the starter during cranking, then time to rebuild/replace the starter. BTW; when testing the starter, you should disable the ignition; disconnect the hot wire from the ignition coil primary.
  2. No fuel pressure at fuel rail: You can bypass the Fuel Pump Relay to see if that fixes that temporarily (don't drive with it bypassed!). If it does, then either the relay is bad (fairly common) or the ECM is not activating the relay because of a missing or bad signal input. Below from 850 manual on diagnosing Fuel Pressure issues; S70 should be same if not similar.

Fuel Pressure
1) Before disconnecting, cover fuel line connector using shop
towel to absorb any fuel spray. Connect Fuel Pressure Gauge (5011)
between fuel line and fuel rail. Seal free end of hose using Plug
(5266) or use Fuel Drainage Unit (981 2270, 2273 and 2282).
2) Lift cover on central electrical unit located in engine
compartment and remove fuel pump relay. See Fig. 1.
3) Connect a jumper wire between relay terminals No. 1 and 3.
See Fig. 2.
4) Turn ignition on. Fuel pump should start. Fuel filler
cover can be removed to determine whether main pump is operating. Fuel
pressure should be about 43.5 psi (3.06 kg/cm ). If pressure is too
low, pinch return hose by hand and check whether pressure rises. DO
NOT allow pressure to exceed 86 psi (6 kg/cm ).
5) If pressure rises rapidly, pump and lines are okay.
Replace pressure regulator and recheck line pressure. If pressure
rises slowly, fuel filter, fuel pump strainer or fuel lines are
blocked. If pressure does not rise, fuel pump is probably faulty.

Last edited by gdog; 05-17-2010 at 08:23 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:11 AM

Thanks for the detailed troubleshooting advice. It is raining here this morning so might not get to look at it until later. I have been wondering if I might also have starter issues as well so thanks for giving that some credence. The behavior is very repeatable that the first time car spins up and may even start for a few seconds then stalls and usually won't crank again. I was wondering if there was an interlock between the fuel system somewhere that would not allow starter to function of fuel pressure was inadequate.

Thanks,

Kirk

Old 05-19-2010, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by kirkgrau
... I was wondering if there was an interlock between the fuel system somewhere that would not allow starter to function of fuel pressure was inadequate.

Not as far as I know; you should able to crank that sucker till the cows come home, or your battery dies; whichever comes first...

When you're cking this out, make sure that small (skinny) wire going to the starter is getting batt voltage when cranking. That's the hot wire from your ignition switch that activates the starter solenoid; if not getting voltage there, then ignition switch and/or PNP could be issue. But symptoms would be more intermittent proabably; still, something you should ck while in there...

Old 05-19-2010, 02:22 PM

I had the same problem. Car was difficult to start. Sometimes would start and mostly wouldn't. I had to have it towed to the dealer. The dealer replaced the lock cylinder. It took about a week because it uses your existing keys. They don't give you new keys. It must have to be made to match your existing keys. Labor was $424 and part was $326. OUCH!!