Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

power antenna problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 08:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power antenna problem

The power antenna on my 1999 S70 won't go up all the way. The middle segment of the antenna doesn't elevate. You can try to pull out the middle section, and then you have to push it back in when the antenna retracts. I'm wondering whether this is an antenna problem, or an antenna motor problem so I can figure out which to replace. Also, how easy is it to replace the motor?

Old 04-25-2010, 11:25 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's an antenna issue. You can try lubing it; if that doesn't work time for a new mast.

http://www.fcpgroton.com/product-exe...st-Sedans+Only

Old 04-26-2010, 07:48 PM

I got same problem so i took my off and looking to replace it with an internal antenna.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:19 AM
Default Antenna

Okay, its not working right so this can only make things better before replacement. Pull the antenna ALL the out, coat the antenna with WD-40, use only WD. Hold a rag onto the ant. and spray the heck out of it, wear glasses, even just sun glasses, this will get misty. Spay a lot where the sections meet. Now, manually push and pull the ant. a few times, let it sit for a few hours and then try it with the radio.
You must push and pull with care, when the ant. gets close to being down all the way it may get hard to push. Put a small block of wood on the ant. and lightly hit with a hammer. Pull with pliers as required.

Cb

Old 04-28-2010, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by spaded09
I got same problem so i took my off and looking to replace it with an internal antenna.
How did you do this? I would love to do the same thing. I also have a 98 S70

Old 04-29-2010, 06:17 PM

I loosened the nut and pulled antenna out when it was going up. This is what im gonna get and hope it works as they say. http://www.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=4827692

Old 05-01-2010, 11:46 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I assume that cb1313 is telling you to REMOVE the antenna mass from the car. The other end of the antenna mass has plastic teeth and will strip if you try this with the antenna mass (the part that goes up and down) still install will likely destroy the antenna.

Once you remove the antenna mass, you will likely see that there are damaged teeth on the plastic part of the internal end, or, it can be broken. Worse case, you will need to replace the antenna mass with a good one.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:01 AM
Default Anrenna

I fixed mine on the car, without removing it. I just worked the ant. real slow and just kept spraying it and moving it. It would stick at the last 5 inches and not go up all the way. Maybe I just got lucky.?
BUT.... I never use my ant. anymore, I installed a Sony 10 pack CD player and portable XM radio. I installed a switch back next to the ant. to cut the power so the antenna dose not work when I turn on the radio.

Cb

Old 05-19-2010, 01:28 AM
Banned

yeah im pretty sure all my fuses are good. i checked the wires and i have current goin to the yellow(constant) but no power to the red(in the on or acc. position in ignition). so. my next move is to run a test wire straight from under my dask kinda behind the fuse panel, where i was testing the other end(of the red/green), to the red/green wire directly in my radio harness plug and see if it solves the problem.
=======================
Cosmetic Surgery | Boob Job

Old 05-19-2010, 02:10 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lolvo
How did you do this? I would love to do the same thing. I also have a 98 S70
Use a Metra 44 UA20 or similar antenna.

Originally Posted by rspi
I assume that cb1313 is telling you to REMOVE the antenna mass from the car. The other end of the antenna mass has plastic teeth and will strip if you try this with the antenna mass (the part that goes up and down) still install will likely destroy the antenna.

Once you remove the antenna mass, you will likely see that there are damaged teeth on the plastic part of the internal end, or, it can be broken. Worse case, you will need to replace the antenna mass with a good one.
cb's method worked for him, but WD-40 attracts dirt so not the greatest for long term, a rag and water probably would have had the same result.
Originally Posted by monika678
yeah im pretty sure all my fuses are good. i checked the wires and i have current goin to the yellow(constant) but no power to the red(in the on or acc. position in ignition). so. my next move is to run a test wire straight from under my dask kinda behind the fuse panel, where i was testing the other end(of the red/green), to the red/green wire directly in my radio harness plug and see if it solves the problem.
=======================
Cosmetic Surgery | Boob Job
The power antenna needs 2 connections to operate on the Volvo(not all brands operate this way). ground, +12v turn on from factory radio directly. Check these at the antenna with a test light or multi meter.

Last edited by mkc70; 05-19-2010 at 09:43 AM.