Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

Power steering fluid for Volvo S70

Old 12-08-2009, 11:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Power steering fluid for Volvo S70

I have a Volvo S70 GLT SE. Steering makes moaning sound while turning it. I noticed the power steering fluid is lower the add mark. I saw the manual says just ATF for power steering fluid. Here I have 2 basic questions.

1) What type of fluid to fill? Can someone please help me with exact brand/model?

2) can I just add the new fluid without flushing the existing one?

Old 12-11-2009, 08:49 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

What year is it?

Old 12-15-2009, 04:59 PM

It is year 2000 model.

Old 12-15-2009, 09:10 PM
Administrator

NO ATF on the 1999 and up cars.
This is the same as oem.
Name:  Sep22_0005.jpg
Views: 4114
Size:  18.6 KB

Old 03-09-2010, 07:11 PM

I bought 1 quart of synthetic power steering fluid from dealer and filled in enough. After a week I noticed the level was lesser than what I filled in. I thought it would have settled down and added little more, ...and kept adding more every 3 weeks. So it took full 1 quart in about 2.5 months.

I suspect there is a leak somewhere in power steering system. How can I check where the leak is? There is no leak near the reservoir and hoses near the reservoir.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:13 PM
Administrator

Most likely the steering rack is leaking. You will have to get under the car and check it.

Old 03-13-2010, 07:03 PM

Looks like there is leak at where suction hose connects to pump. But hose itself doesn't have any crack. Probably the leak is due to loose connection. After market power steering suction hose costs about $70+. Is there any cheap solution to try before buying a new hose?

Old 03-13-2010, 08:18 PM
Administrator

Does it already have an aftermarket clamp?
If not put one on there and see if it still leaks.

Old 03-13-2010, 08:52 PM

Thank you Mr.Tech. I appreciate your help.

I will change the clamp and see if it is still leaking.

I have another question. How do get the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) for original volvo power steering fluid. I just want to know what are the contents of it. If I know the contents then I can buy any after market equivalent power steering fluid.

MSDS for gunk can be seen in the link http://www.gunk.com/msds/M2712SYN.PDF.

Old 03-13-2010, 08:56 PM
Administrator

You might be able to get one from the Dealer but not sure.

Old 09-11-2010, 02:14 PM

This is what the parts guy sold me. The key seems to be to get a synthetic fluid with CHF 11S. There are other types but this seemed to work for my 2001 volvo c70. It kinda pricey ($20-$24)

Old 02-24-2011, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Rb_newsletter@yahoo.com
Looks like there is leak at where suction hose connects to pump. But hose itself doesn't have any crack. Probably the leak is due to loose connection. After market power steering suction hose costs about $70+. Is there any cheap solution to try before buying a new hose?
I put 2 clamps, one in the middle of the nose and second one in the tip of the nose. That stopped the leak.

Also during the same time I fixed a coolant leak. I don't know if coolant leak caused over heating of the power steering fluid, which in turn caused the leak.

So power steering fluid leak was totally stopped and it is holding good for past 1+ years.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:43 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Glad it was fixed.

A note on power steering fluids for these cars: Prior to 1999, Volvo used ATF (automatic transmission fluid) in the power steering systems. Colder climate cars sometimes got "Volvo Hydraulic Fluid," but both fluids are able to be mixed. In 1999, Volvo started changing the P/S systems on their cars. The 70 series cars, which were mostly based on an older design, still list ATF as the appropriate fluid. This makes sense, as the rack and pinion units are the same. The then- new S80 required Pentosin CHF-11 fluid, which is a common European fluid used for years by most european automakers. In the 2001 model year, when they redesigned the car, the 70 series cars also got the CHF-11 fluid. The one kink in the whole issue: 1999 and 2000 70 series cars use the same rack as the older ones, but the P/S pump is different. The older cars have a Saginaw power steering pump- it's the same P/S pump design GM ad Chrysler have used for decades, hence the requirement of ATF or hydraulic fluid like GM, Ford, and Chrysler. The 1999 and 2000 cars have a pump made by ZF, which supplies steering and transmission parts to many European automakers. Most european cars that have ZF pumps call for CHF-11 fluid, but some still use ATF. Volvo's official specifications list ATF for '99 and '00 cars, but I've seen 99 and 00 cars with CHF in them. My thoughts on the matter are as follows: CHF-11 is a synthetic hydraulic fluid. ATF is a hydraulic fluid with some different additives. So's power steering fluid. The real difference between the fluids is the additives, and whether or not they are of synthetic base or petroleum base. CHF-11 shouldn't be mixed with ATF or standard hydraulic/ power steering fluid. So... see what your car has in it. If it's pink/ red, it's ATF. If it's green/ green- brown, it's CHF-11. Use whatever is there. Or completely empty the system and flush it by disconnecting the return hose from the reservoir, placing it in a catch pan, and run the car while adding new CHF-11 OR new ATF while someone in the car turns the steering wheel back and forth. When the fluid runs clean, shut off the car, reconnect the hose, fill the reservoir, and bleed the steering system by turning the wheel back and forth again with the engine running. This is expensive to do with CHF-11, as CHF-11 costs about $20 for a 1- liter bottle and you'll need about 2-3 bottles, but it will ensure that the fluid is correct. But you CAN do this with ATF on '99 and '00 70 series cars, since Volvo used that from the factory on most of them.

The GUNK brand European and Nissan P/S fluid is an aftermarket approximation of CHF-11. It's compatible with CHF-11, and is fine for topping off the system, but I wouldn't use it for a fresh fill, personally.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:32 PM
Exclamation

Whoa -

I had the same problem.

It sounded like a donkey squeal or "moaning" - my fix after a suggestion from the service mgr at my local volvo shop is to pick up a can of silicone spray and down under the dash where the steering column meets the firewall you will see a rubber boot of a sort possibly with some grease around it. That is what happens after time, the grease can work its way out and the boot flexs due to temp changes, cold/warm - and you get that noise as a result. Liberally spray around that boot and you should be good to go. Let it sit for a bit and give it 24hrs of usage before you make any judgement. My went away almost immediately.

$5 buck fix.

If that doesn't work then its most likely a more serious problem and you'll have to do your research.

Good luck

Old 04-10-2011, 04:45 PM

I originally thought I had an oil leak because I saw brown fluid on the driveway, but then I started noticing a horrible whine (similar to others in this thread) and I checked the power steering reservoir and it was almost empty. I dipped a long straw with the wrapper still on into the reservoir and the fluid is a brownish color which seems to coincide with the stains. I am a bit confused as to which fluid was originally in my car. The CHF-11 fluid is originally green and says it turns brown after use, but I would imagine that regular ATF fluid that starts out as red fluid, would turn brown after a while too? How do i know which one to use? I have a 1999 Volvo S70 GLT.

Edit: I don't have a problem flushing the whole system and going with CHF-11 fluid, but I have a fairly big leak and with how expensive that fluid is, I don't want to waste that much fluid until I figure out where it's leaking from.