Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

Oil Pressure Light Flashes during hard turns

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 06:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pressure Light Flashes during hard turns

Here's the history of my car:

99 S70 GLT

169k miles. 12k are mine.

The trans has about 119k. It seized up and I had to have it replaced so the trans fluid is good. Not a job I am capable of doing.

The heater core is leaking and I just got the replacement in the mail today.

Gave it a tune up when I got it and started using Mobil 1. I am due for a change, which is going to be done Saturday.

When I make hard, tight turns, the oil pressure light comes on for about a second and goes off. I noticed this a few days ago. So far it has only happened turning right. I've tried to recreate it going left but it just doesn't happen.

What can be causing this?

Bad O-rings in the sump? I don't think it's the PCV, though I don't know when that was last serviced. Either way I'd rather not spend $300 on the IPD kit.

I see no drips under the car either. I park in a garage in the same spot every day.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:32 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Likely the sump seals. You can try installing a Volvo or Mann oil filter to see if that changes anything.

Failing to deal with it will cause problems in your head.

Also, I doubt that your tranny seized, you may have been taken to the bank on that one.

Last edited by rspi; 12-20-2012 at 06:32 AM. Reason: add
Old 12-20-2012, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by rspi
Likely the sump seals. You can try installing a Volvo or Mann oil filter to see if that changes anything.

Failing to deal with it will cause problems in your head.

Also, I doubt that your tranny seized, you may have been taken to the bank on that one.
Changing the oil Saturday so I'll probably just replace the sump seals to be on the safe side.

As for the tranny locking up on me these were the codes that came up:

ECM-530D- MIL TCM- FaultCurrent
ECM-91A7- Throttle Position- Faulty Control- FaultCurrent
TCM-002F- Lock-up Function Slipping or not engaged- FaultCurrent
CDM-0001 VSS missing- FaultPrevious

Cleared them and a few days later the car would start but would stall and die once I put it in gear. Did this guy take me through the ringer? Haven't been to him since, coincidentally.

Last edited by Frank Thomas; 12-20-2012 at 11:42 PM.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:42 AM

Do you know of anywhere besides a dealer where I can pick up the O-rings and the chemical gakset sealer? I'd like to do this sooner rather than later and can't find the dimensions of the rings to see if a generic one from Pepboy's will work.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:27 AM
Administrator

I would not recommend buying parts from local places other than the stealer and places that sell genuine Volvo parts. I usually wait till my parts arrive from www.FCPEuro.com or www.iPdUSA.com.

I'm not 100% sure about your tranny problem but they don't suddenly fail often. Usually it's gradually or the PNP switch or something like that. Sounds like the torque converter went out. Hopefully you had the RMS replaced at the same time.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:34 AM

Ripped off or not the RMS was replaced then. I am thinking he made a sucker out of me when I was in a jam but he was at least nice enough to replace the RMS because it's such a PITA (for him and me) to have to do it all over again.

Probably going to grab the whole O-Ring/Gasket sump set from IPD and push the oil change back a few days. I'm not going to be doing any driving this weekend. I have a 14 mile drive for the holiday and then 14 miles back, mostly cruising conditions (Lake Shore Drive).

Is there a difference between FCPEuro and FCPGroton?

When I bought my suspension kit I thought they said one updates more often than the other or something.

Old 12-21-2012, 06:00 PM
Administrator

I don't think so. The FCPGroton is the old original site. They haven't dropped it yet and sometimes you can find lower prices on it.

Last edited by rspi; 12-21-2012 at 06:02 PM. Reason: update
Old 12-28-2012, 04:35 PM

I went shopping for quotes on what it would take to get someone else to drop the pan and figured I'd start with the dealer. They tell me they can't quote me on it without inspecting everything first.

I get there and they tell me there's no oil in the car. This explains why the low pressure light came on only during right turns and not left. It was sloshing away from the pickup tube.

I park indoors, in the same spot every day and there are no drips. I don't smell it burning either so where's it going? The guy tells me it burned up because I used Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 burns faster in Volvos than other oils. Anyone ever heard of this? He said it could be a bad/dirty PCV, something in the engine, maybe a bad piston ring, etc.

I had 6 quarts of Mobil in the trunk for my next change so I let them change it and apparently the last time I changed it I left the old seal on, and put the new one on as well and the filter housing wasn't on tight enough. I feel like an idiot, but at the same time I'm relieved that everything seems pretty good so far.

So now my main concern is back to which kind of oil I should be using. He said Castrol is the best, but the dealership only uses Valvoline and to change the oil more frequently. I was doing every 6k with the Mobil and he said 5k at the most.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:29 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank Thomas
I went shopping for quotes on what it would take to get someone else to drop the pan and figured I'd start with the dealer. They tell me they can't quote me on it without inspecting everything first.

I get there and they tell me there's no oil in the car. This explains why the low pressure light came on only during right turns and not left. It was sloshing away from the pickup tube.

I park indoors, in the same spot every day and there are no drips. I don't smell it burning either so where's it going? The guy tells me it burned up because I used Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 burns faster in Volvos than other oils. Anyone ever heard of this? He said it could be a bad/dirty PCV, something in the engine, maybe a bad piston ring, etc.

I had 6 quarts of Mobil in the trunk for my next change so I let them change it and apparently the last time I changed it I left the old seal on, and put the new one on as well and the filter housing wasn't on tight enough. I feel like an idiot, but at the same time I'm relieved that everything seems pretty good so far.

So now my main concern is back to which kind of oil I should be using. He said Castrol is the best, but the dealership only uses Valvoline and to change the oil more frequently. I was doing every 6k with the Mobil and he said 5k at the most.
You know, I was going to ask if you had actually ckd the oil level; sometimes it's the simple things that get you..

Where's your oil going? Most likely out the tailpipe; could be turbo seals, valve guide seals, PCV clogged, worn piston rings, or all of above.

The topic of which motor oil is best is a religious discussion. Personally I like, and only use, Valvoline dino oil; would never even think of puttiing Castrol in any of my vehicles.