Go Back   Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum > Volvo Vehicles > Volvo S70
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Volvo Forums!
Welcome to Volvo Forums,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Volvo Forums today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-20-2011, 10:54 PM

Default Rubber Grommet? Amp/Sub install

Im going to be installing a 12' sub in my '98 non turbo s70 sedan. Does anyone have any advice before i start installing? The only thing im worried about is wiring the amp power wire to the vehicle battery. Where exactly can i run the wire though the firewall? Is there a grommet somewhere, or if anyone has a picture of where its at or alternative method?
Old 02-23-2011, 03:37 AM

Yes, There is a rubber grommet just a few inches down and towards the passenger side from the brake fluid reservoir that the hole goes thru and comes out above the gas petal, hope this helps, I will try and add a pic if you cannot locate it
Old 02-24-2011, 10:30 AM

yeah a pic would be great. So are you saying its on the passenger side but it comes out above the pedal? So i would run my power wire on the driver side on the car?
Old 02-24-2011, 11:18 AM

I ran my 4 gauge wire on the drivers side and the remote and rca on passenger side to avoid that pesky distortion, I will go snap a few pics now...
Old 02-24-2011, 12:57 PM

1. White circle on firewall shows grommet location (grommet removed), engine compartment.

2. Yellow dart shows location of suggested amp power wire installation.

If you have any other questions, lemme kno
Click the image to open in full size.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0346.jpg (89.4 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0357.jpg (94.0 KB, 40 views)
Old 02-24-2011, 01:45 PM

Awesome, thanks
Old 02-24-2011, 03:13 PM

Actually another question, did you have to drill that hole above the gas pedal or was it already there? and i plan on having my amp in the trunk, any suggestions on where to ground it?
Old 02-24-2011, 03:39 PM

It was already there. or someone put it there before I bought the car, but doubtful, its too clean of a hole to have been drilled
Old 02-24-2011, 03:41 PM

I think our cars are almost the same, I have the 2.4 non turbo sedan, but would have to check with Tech?
Old 02-25-2011, 05:38 AM

Sorry I missed your question about the ground. I am upgrading from two 12s with a 2 channel 600 watt amp @ 4 ohms to one 12 with a 1000 watt class D amp, before I had just sanded a small spot under the carpet and used a self tapping screw, but now, I havent quite decided yet, thinking to attach it to the small steel bar that the back seat latches to, but the most important thing is to have good contact against bare metal, oh, and use an 'O' ring clamp on the end of the ground wire, I have seen too many people try and just wrap the end of bare wire around a screw and drill it in, this is very sloppy and will come loose and prob result in shorting something out.

Edit: shorter then 1 foot ground wire is most common advice, I try for 7 inches or less, check the Manuel for your amp, alot of manufacturers recommend that the amp be mounted vertical (the best for a short ground) or inverted for the best positions for keeping the amp cool.

Last edited by Tyler 99 S70; 02-25-2011 at 05:43 AM. Reason: see above
Old 02-25-2011, 05:38 AM

Tags
amp, amplifier, box, firewall, grommet, grommets, install, installation, installing, power, rubber, s70, seal, subs, tool, volvo, wire