Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

s70 sounding loud

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 02:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default s70 sounding loud

Yesterday my know it all father had come over with someone that "knows about turbos". I told him before I need to check for leaks in my turbo and intercooler piping, but he never believes me. I ran through and showed the guy, he asked about my wastegate being stuck, and I showed him how i tapped down the center of the arm to try and make sure it was closed all the way. Seeing that he couldnt really help me the guy left, and I went inside. Later on I went to go somewhere and my car just stopped wanting to idle and started being loud. Not like bad motor loud, like huge exhaust leak loud. I pulled over and unplugged the MAF and ran home, still sounding loud. Since it idled without the MAF the assumption would be to replace that, oh well. But im confused by the noise, this happened before and It went away. If my wastegate is really stuck open, would it create this loud noise? It sounds cool lol but without boost its just noise, and noise without speed is just goofy lol.

Old 03-29-2014, 11:45 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Can you post a video of it? My daughter had a waste gate code ant it was an intake tube leak at the intercooler.

Old 03-31-2014, 11:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I figured it out. I cant tell you how happy I am to figure this out, because I believe its been the source of a lot of sleepless nights. I bought a new set of plugs and fuel filter(2 motors , 200k and original filter) to find a happy motor with no acceleration improvement. Stumped, I took a shot in the dark and disconnected the turbo from the exhaust and boom, problem solved. Of course the car is loud, which sounds cool but will get annoying soon, but the acceleration is pretty damn close to stock. Im sure with a video (which i should have taken) you would have been able to tell but i was so surprised to find no other posts about this. Acceleration went from 0-60 in about a minute to under 8, and I now realize how imperative it is to check on the cat after a turbo has been blown. The cat was clogged since day 1 so that didnt make my judgement any better but I am soooo relieved. This car has fought me ever since I bought it and after putting a new motor, 2 turbos, and so much more Ive finally gotten to a point of satisfaction