Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

T5, GLT, or Base? Official VIN Decoder?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 07:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default T5, GLT, or Base? Official VIN Decoder?

My friend and I are trying to figure out if his 1999 S70 is a T5, GLT, or a base. After hearing the car today, and hearing what I thought was the turbo blow off, I could swear it's a turbo. I ran the VIN on vindecoder.net and it told me it was a T5 with the 2.3L I-5. But to my knowledge, the air box is supposed to say "Turbo" on top, and after looking, I can't seem to find any turbocharger. Also, I don't even know if the VIN is correct, because we were both skeptical if the door is original or not, considering the hinge is shot. I couldn't see the plate in the windshield either because it was too fogged up (heater core is shot, it will be replaced this week).

So, now that all the little details are out of the way, what I'd like to ask is...
1.) What are distinctive features/visual differences between the trim levels, if any?
2.) Where is the turbocharger located?
and 3.) Is there a Volvo-specific VIN decoder?

Last edited by bmdubya1198; 12-26-2014 at 07:53 PM.
Old 12-26-2014, 08:06 PM

Ok... after a little more research (I know, I was quick to ask), I believe it's a T5. After looking at the blurry picture I took of the VIN plate, I've pretty much matched up the VIN. Although, my questions still stand.

Old 12-26-2014, 10:01 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts
Old 12-27-2014, 08:46 AM

Thank you! I like that Volvo has all of these official resources available. Not many other manufacturers have this.

Old 01-04-2015, 11:44 PM
Pej
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bmdubya1198
My friend and I are trying to figure out if his 1999 S70 is a T5, GLT, or a base. After hearing the car today, and hearing what I thought was the turbo blow off, I could swear it's a turbo. I ran the VIN on vindecoder.net and it told me it was a T5 with the 2.3L I-5. But to my knowledge, the air box is supposed to say "Turbo" on top, and after looking, I can't seem to find any turbocharger. Also, I don't even know if the VIN is correct, because we were both skeptical if the door is original or not, considering the hinge is shot. I couldn't see the plate in the windshield either because it was too fogged up (heater core is shot, it will be replaced this week).

So, now that all the little details are out of the way, what I'd like to ask is...
1.) What are distinctive features/visual differences between the trim levels, if any?
2.) Where is the turbocharger located?
and 3.) Is there a Volvo-specific VIN decoder?
Just to let you know my 99 T5 s70 doesn't say turbo on the air intake box I think that's from older models.
Turbocharger is between the firewall and engine.
The interior should have wood accents and the leather/vinyl inside of the doors should be stitched, not just glued with the vinyl coming off like older and base models. This is for 1999 models from my knowledge. Should have a spoiler too.

Old 01-05-2015, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Pej
Just to let you know my 99 T5 s70 doesn't say turbo on the air intake box I think that's from older models.
Turbocharger is between the firewall and engine.
The interior should have wood accents and the leather/vinyl inside of the doors should be stitched, not just glued with the vinyl coming off like older and base models. This is for 1999 models from my knowledge. Should have a spoiler too.
Okay, that makes sense. That's where I thought the turbocharger was.
I've seen the stitched door panels, but his doesn't have it. It doesn't have the wood, either, it has the carbon fiber-look trim. It does have a spoiler, though.