Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

Transfer Case Fluid Empty or very low

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 07:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Transfer Case Fluid Empty or very low

I just bought my used 2000 V70 xc with 150,200 miles. Great looking car and I've always wanted a Volvo wagon so I bought it. I took it to get the oil changed and they told me that the transfer case fluid was very low or empty and would effect the AWD if not taken care of but they did not have record of what fluid goes in it. I'm not real mechanically inclined and the place I bought the car will take care of any problems in the first 30 days. Is this serious? what would cause it? I don't want to go looking like a total dumb *** when I take it to the dealer/garage. Thanks.

Old 03-09-2015, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

the transfer case takes GL5 75/90 weight gear oil. Synthetics go for about $30 a liter. There should be a fill plug on the side of the case - you may need to fashion a tube to push the oil into the side fill hole. I'm curious if they actually pulled the correct plug to check the fluid level as the oil would need to go somewhere to be dry - ie leaking out a seal etc... no signs of leaks?

Old 03-10-2015, 10:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Thanks

They did not see any visible leeks but they are young guns at a VIO. I've taken it to the used car dealer that I recently purchased it from and he's checking it today. He's a great mechanic and works on all the cars he sells. I didn't want to bother him with an oil change and forgot to ask if he had done one on it. It had sat for awhile at the lot to so I thought just do it. He's checking it today and said the same thing that it had to be going somewhere if its low at all. They did say that there was two plugs one to check it and one to change and they was checking the plug on top. He will take care of it and will be totally honest with me. Thanks Again for responding I'll post what he finds.