Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

turbo not pulling, rough idle, low gas mileage- PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 07:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo not pulling, rough idle, low gas mileage- PLEASE HELP

Hey every, I apologize in advance if this thread is incorrectly placed or if there is already a thread on this. With that being said lets get to my problem/s please

I recently bought a volvo s70 t5/ auto about 2 months ago. up until a couple days ago everything ran fine but now i'm having multiple problems. My problems go as followed.

Starting- When I put the key in the ignition and start the car, the rpms go all the way to 1500 and is somewhat louder than normal. also it takes a few minutes for the idle to go back to 850( i believe thats normal idle) once its back at normal idle range the idle moves up and down slightly and sounds like it wants to die sometimes.

Driving- The turbo isnt pulling like it should . If i floor it all the way all that happens if the sound of the turbo spooling up and the car accelerates a bit faster... but no where near as fast as the turbo should make the car accelerate. up until a few days ago whenever I floored it the turbo would kick in and it would put me in my seat a bit.

I'm unable to preform any work on my car at the moment but I was looking under the hood at work lastnight and noticed a few holes in one of my hoses. the part number is - 3545307- but from what ive read that wouldnt effect my power like it is.

also have a check engine light on( been on since purchase) pulled the codes and it was reading an evap leak for the j hose. but has been over 2 weeks since ive pulled codes on my baby.

All help is greatly appreciated!!!!

Old 11-07-2014, 10:52 PM

I honestly believe you might have answered your question. I would look at all the hoses to make sure you don't have a vacuum leak somewhere. And yes, a good vacuum leak can actually make your car that bad. The J hose is another story.

Old 11-08-2014, 12:30 AM

Hey thanks for commenting. just to clarify, the part number I listed was an air intake hose for the ecu( wrapped with duct tape as a temporary fix). I looked and have not found any leaks but it was dark out and hard to see, so i might have missed something. Then just a few moments ago I went to sit in my car to have a smoke... after the car heated up it started doing a constant ticking/clicking noise.

So I guess my question is: Could all of the problems be based off a Vacuum/Boost leak?

If so where should I start looking for leaks? This is my first volvo and I'm still learning about these temperamental beasts so bear with me fellas

Thanks again!

Old 11-08-2014, 03:22 PM

I didn't look at the part you posted. Ecu hose wont cause car problems like this, you were right on that. What I mean is that you should check all the vacuum hoses like the lines running from the intake manifold to the EGR valve, The Turbo vac lines, and such like that. A member on the forum going by Rspi has made many videos for our cars. Here is a link to his you-tube page with all the videos;

https://www.youtube.com/user/RSpi007/featured

Check out his videos to trouble shoot anything like if you get a code. Start with the easy stuff like the vac lines. These cars are getting pretty old so the vac lines are mostly crap.

The engines are known to make a decent amount of noise at idle( usually you hear the injectors). If there is ticking, as you say, check the oil lvl. Only reason lifters would tick is if they have low oil. The lifters on these engines are good. They aren't a normal component to have failing.