Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

Turn Signal Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 10:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn Signal Problem *s70 1999*

Okay so I just bought a s70 1999 volvo & my turn signals want work (inside or out) but the Hazard signals work..... Can someone tell me what's wrong please!

Last edited by Virgobaby; 10-16-2014 at 10:39 AM.
Old 10-16-2014, 05:52 PM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

In my experience, Turn Signal problems are usually one of these;
1) Bad bulbs (never hurts to check them "just in case")
2) Hazard Flasher
3) Electrical component of the ignition switch.
4) Turn Signal switch (usually the cancel function goes but I'd check the connector and the switch as a last resort)

Since you just bought the car you really need to start from the fuses (just me but I always start with fuses) to the bulbs, to the the hazard switch to the ignition switch. All the work is simple, but parts are expensive if you just replace good ones with new ones.

Despite the fact that your hazards are working it is so common that I wouldn't automatically rule it out. I've heard wiggleing the key with the turn signal on my get it working (obviously indication a shot switch) but when mine when it was immediate and total. Can't hurt to try though.

How many miles does it have?

Good luck.

Last edited by donf; 10-16-2014 at 05:56 PM.
Old 10-16-2014, 08:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If both left and right turn signals don't work but come on with the hazards then it is more than likely the turn signal switch which is the stalk itself

Old 10-17-2014, 12:12 PM

I bought a new turn signal switch & it still doesn't work

Old 04-16-2017, 09:48 PM

I have the same EXACT problem.

Need help: 1998 S70 with 185K miles turn signal sometimes does not work.

I understand the turn signal is connected to the hazard switch from an electrical circuit standpoint.
- Hazard switch works perfectly, all 4 bulbs at 4 corners are good.
- Turn signal (both R and L) sometimes does not work: it is an intermittent problem.

Does anyone know what part I need to replace?
- The entire signal stalk.
- Or is there a switch I need to replace?

I have a $1M dollar question: can the hazard switch (located below the Radio) fail in such a way that the hazard function works (all 4 lights at 4 corners blinking) but the "Turn Signal" function inside the hazard switch fails?

Old 05-25-2020, 05:59 PM
Smile Turn Signal Problem - Fixed !

1999 Volvo S70

Problem: The turns signals were almost not working at all. They would correctly flash on the dashboard between 0 and 3 times
and then stop. The turn signal "click" sound would be heard if it signaled. The Hazard lights worked perfectly the entire time.

I pulled out the radio and then pulled out the Hazard flasher switch. I replaced the switch, and "Shazam", the turn signals now worked great. Perhaps
I got lucky & it was an easy fix. The turn signal lever (left side of the steering column also had been working fine - mechanically.)

I anticipated the possibility of the culprit being the turn signal relay, thought happily, never made it that far. The source of this problem
seems to vary, though I wanted to post this because it worked well & pretty fast. I obtained the replacement Hazard flasher used for very
low cost. Certainly it may not have a long life either, though right now it is doing the job. Plus I identified the source of the problem.

The following users liked this post:
ricks (01-20-2021)
Old 07-07-2020, 02:35 PM
Default Turn signals

Sometimes I have the same issue with my 05 v70 I figured it was in the steering

Old 07-17-2020, 08:43 AM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

I've attached a schematic of the wiring circuit from the service manual....Sorry if it is small, but you can mess with it to make it better. Hope it helps.

Attached Files
File Type: docx
Doc1.docx (138.8 KB, 284 views)
Old 01-20-2021, 10:40 AM

I'll try it. I have the exact same problem in my 00 v70. Fast clicking left-then off / Regular clicking right-then off. / Hazard working just fine. I can hear it / No click after both go off so it was getting hard to get under dash and pull lever at the same time. Sounds like it's left of center-by radio. Not under hood like earlier years. Going to start chasing it again today with a Hazard switch. I'll get back.

Old 01-20-2021, 11:57 AM

From what you describe, if it were me, I would replace the Hazard flasher switch. On my 99 S70
it is below the radio. the radio pops out two pull tabs. Then the radio pulls out easily. then I can
just push the hazard flasher switch from the back towards me and it pops out easily. It was a
two minute swap.

Not a mechanic but I would have to say, yes, the turn signals can stop working even though the Hazard
emergency lights keep working fine. I replaced the hazard flasher switch
on mine and the all the turn signals instantly worked perfectly. This may not work on yours, but from the info you gave so
far & my experience, I would try that.

New showed over $100 I recall. I would not first replace the entire signal stalk. The hazard
switch on mine is about the same size as a cigarette pack....little thiner and longer.

I picked one up used at a junkyard for a few dollars and it has been working just fine. Many
will recommend only buying a new part. I decided to take a chance with used. So far so good

Old 01-21-2021, 02:43 PM

I went to the yard, $6 (six). That part is 155 now. It works in that it does not discontinue working once on. When I use it, it returns and clicks off like it should. However, Left still flashes at 2x the normal speed and Right is just fine. Hazard is just fine. Plan is to find another 1 or 2 for $6-15 and keep them around in case this one fails. But, yes 2 min r/r. Heads up at Volvo if this comes up for anyone some day,,,. I went back to explain to the counter person what happened and show him that Volvo has the part incorrectly named. I don't have the receipt now but it is the (f-9) plug/part on their drawing and assigns the name of turn switch to it.(drawing shows d, e and f)(and in the panel under the hood). Looking up Hazard Switch has no mention or name of Turn Signal Relay, but the correct drawing. The only years this Hazard Switch was used: 98, 99 and 00 (in v70 yes, other models?)(96 no, but 97 you'll have to verify). I've heard people say 2001 works but it does not (01 is at the far top of dash, pyramid shape), see a page for selling dash trim packages that will show it does not.............. So, $35 to my Volvo educations and no returns on ele parts.

I only found 1 in the Colorado Springs area so, onward for a search. Yes some people say "no" to used but... $155 vs 6, I can keep a few around and the likelihood of it doing damage to something else is very slim. It stops working and no way for it to talk to anything else. Note too, the one I pulled out was marked/ID'd by a previous yard as a used part. Car has 220k now. I've had it since 160k and obviously never replaced it before. So we know that "one" used one before this replacement was worth a min of 60k. The original or the yard piece that came out of my car today, worth somewhere between 0-160k max. Thank you!

Old 01-21-2021, 03:27 PM
Received 585 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by ricks
Left still flashes at 2x the normal speed and Right is just fine. Hazard is just fine.
It flashes too fast because a bulb is out or a wrong bulb is installed or there is a bad ground/connection front or rear. I would suspect a bad ground/connection on the bulb in the front, back feeding through the parking light filament. Those originally came with a 3157 bulb, with a flat connector that would get bad connections, you can simply flip the bulb over and try the connectors on the other side. Or Volvo had so many fail they changed back to a bulb holder that takes a 1157 bulb, problem solved. I think the new bulb holder is a 8628245.

Last edited by hoonk; 01-21-2021 at 03:34 PM.
Old 01-21-2021, 03:52 PM

I've since remembered that I thought I had the EXACT same problem with the replacement. The used $7 replacement switched worked
fine for a few days.....then left turn went fast again, right turn OK, emergency hazard OK.....but it worked VS not working at all (Much worse)

I recall I went back to the yard to get another one.

Trying to remember all the details, but I think the yard took the 1st replacement back & I pulled another 2 for a total of around $15K.
It has been working perfect for 9 months. There will always be people insisting on only new, qualify OEM, etc, etc. & anything less
is bush league, etc. I won't say they are wrong, let them do it their way and go on their way. Im taking a chance on used in this case
it worked out

I have one or two extra now & there may be more in the yard now. Also, another poster mentioned it could be other things. A fast
blinking, I believe, could still be a bad bulb. I went to the owner's manual & I recall, this owners manual specifically states when bulbs
go out, they may (or do) flash fast, just as described. Possibly, the bulb could be an issue.

There were couple of other possibilities, in general.

Old 01-22-2021, 09:42 AM

a) I'll try the parking lights and just remove them since the R has a crack in the lens, and I was playing with it just after r/r on the Hazard . b) Red light in doors/front/Land R are removed, the one maybe with wire nuts/caps possibly came loose (exposed wire), the other ok just the connector hanging there. c) Hadn't thought of the panel light. I've had 2 850s where the box looked like it had been cooked next to prior bulb replacements. 2-3 only cooked. Maybe wrong bulbs or panels just cook when bulbs start to go out (?).

Here's a curve ball....I've had this v70 6 years and when on AM radio (AM only!) it has always had a short click coming over the speakers, only when using the turn signals. This happens/and louder the “further you get from the station's signal.” That could also mean there was a problem with the radio unit, that was wire cut r/r'd before me. However, since replacing the hazard (used from the yard) that clicking is 2x louder, AND, does it when the driver door is opened (just once). Went looking for this problem 6 years ago and never found it. Just a little irritating at the time, and couldn't explain why doing it wasn't consistent in the same radio reception areas. Perhaps I bumped the radio wire(s) when r/ring the hazard, and the hazard or dash bulbs will have nothing to do with it. However replacing the dash panel light is a good quick start.

Get back in a couple hours or a day.

Old 01-22-2021, 12:41 PM

By the way, Senior member Donf posted below, possibly you saw - in part about this issue,
​​​​​​In my experience, Turn Signal problems are usually one of these;
1) Bad bulbs (never hurts to check them "just in case")
2) Hazard Flasher
3) Electrical component of the ignition switch.
4) Turn Signal switch (usually the cancel function goes but I'd check the connector and the switch as a last resort)

Back to my comment. I guess I should know what r/r is but I do not. I dable in a lot of different fields so I don't know
a lot of the abbreviations people use & makes it harder to follow

I would try / check new bulbs at the front turn signal and back turn signal driver side if needed. Cheap, fast and may be part of the
problem.

As far as the AM radio, I had that EXACT problem with the Turn signal sound coming through the AM radio
on a 1970 VW Beetle years ago. I never did anything about it. I would only be guessing there were
wiring, insulation or grounding deficiencies. There was also a buzzing noise. I just stopped using that radio.

For me the Hazard switch definitely did the trick.

Old 02-02-2021, 12:06 PM

Found another relay from a 2000 v70 also. Left turn is the same 2x faster than original and right is normal, just like the first problem relay. Except,,, both of the relays from the yard work consistently all the way through till the return. The member who mentioned the 1157 bulb check out. I get it now. I thought your solve was meant for the panel and thought, crazy, 1157s have been exterior, for years. So before understanding what you meant I bought 8-10 various panel lights. There were no panel lights showing d a light out. Low and behold, walking out to the car, by accident I see the left rear out!

I'll let you know what happens in 0 to a couple days, in case the socket is trashed.

I have a new thread (heater core leak crazies) that I'll do here too. Heater cores I've done 3 times over the last 10 years, different models, 2-850s and ? on others. Last core (Behr) only lasted 40-60k with small leak around ring. Rings only leaking but not until last 1000 miles, 60k from previous r/r. No other leak on core itself. I've always used Behr because Volvo claims their original and replacement were Behr's. Always true but, the replacements in other cars were not necessarily Behr because my cars at time of r/r were all 150+. Cores seem to last 80-120+.

Volvo does not carry Behr anymore (per Colo Springs, Penkus parts) and Volvo/$250 for a brand I've never heard of. Last r/r (last I did on this car) was Behr with Volvo original rings from Volvo parts. Leaking 1-2 thimbles per last 2-300 mi and last 1000. Just now NAPA says their manufacturer is APDI. APDI with replacement rings leaks. Going to try original with sealant.

Will get back in 7-14 days.