Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

Upgrading B5254T engine and turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 08:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading B5254T engine and turbo?

I just bought a 1998 S70, it is not an AWD model but on the side of the timing belt case it clearly says B5254T. Here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvo_S...ls_and_engines it says that this engine is only found in the AWD version, I am assuming a swap was done. The car is Debadged and i havn't got the slightest clue what the trim is. Will a chip or ecu upgrade be all i need to get more boost out of the turbo?

thanks in advance

Old 10-06-2010, 11:03 PM

Wikipedia isn't exactly known for being 100% factually correct.

That engine is found in every FWD S70 GLT.

So chances are you just have the stock Low-Pressure Turbo.

I'd try asking performance questions at Swedespeed and Turbobricks forums, but here's my 2 cents from some quick research and my history with other turbo cars (mainly DSMs)

The engine's compression ratio is 9.0:1 so cranking the boost up too much on a stock block isn't very feasible either. Using a thicker head gasket can sometimes decrease that a bit, but there are other methods available as well.

On a stock block with that 9:1 ratio, I wouldn't try running more than 1bar of boost (14.7psi give or take) regardless of the turbo. Use a Manual Boost Controller like a Joe P, electronic ones just aren't worth the hassle and are rarely as reliable.

I'd look for something in the Big16G family with the proper flange to mate up to the Volvo exhaust manifold.

I'd upgrade the injectors to some with flow rates around 450cc. Not sure if the factory fuel pump would be up to the challenge either.

Replace the exhaust with at least a true mandrel bent 2.5"-3" exhaust from the downpipe back through a high-flow cat. A lot of Volvo guys have said to use a 3" downpipe with a 2.5" exhaust, but that's just plain stupid. You don't want to create any bottlenecks in the exhaust, and the turbo already creates enough backpressure for the engine as it is. Ideally you'd have a 3" Full exhaust from the turbo through the tailpipe.

You'll want to get the right gauges to do this properly as well: Boost, A/F, EGT are the 3 most important in my mind. Some like to throw in a voltage and oil pressure gauge as well. Use something like the APEX Super AFC to optimize your Air:Fuel ratios and properly tune everything.

If you have a manual tranny you're fine, if it's an automatic, flush the tranny, use some high performance fluid and get a transmission cooler.

It's also not a bad idea to look into a Front Mount Intercooler.

If all of this has utterly confused you, you're biting off more than you can chew.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:39 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

First of all don't believe everything you read on the internet.

Second of all and firstly when it comes to upgrading your car. DO STAGE ZERO first. This is a must to help get your car in tip top shape before you start adding strain onto it.

With that done I would not recommend doing this but many people do with favorable outcomes. But that is to use a MBC or Manual Boost Controller to raise the boost of your turbo. These range from like $30-$100+, if you did go this route I would go for a dual stage and one you can set a minimum boost and a maximum boost for. Also with this you will want a BOOST gauge that can read a minimum of 25 In Hg / 25 PSI.

You want a boost gauge anyways, but I'm just saying.

FYI your stock turbo can handle between 10-15 PSI max any more and it is out of its efficency range.

The best way to raise boost and the safest is to get a ECU upgrade. IPD USA and RICA make the best tunes on the market, while expensive they are worth every penny. They put the real work and development into their tunes unlike the cheaper companies like Inmotion, SpeedTuning USA and Upsolute.

You don't need to do an turboback exhaust system with an ECU upgrade but it wouldn't hurt it will only help and 3" mandrel bent all the way back is the way to go.

Old 11-15-2015, 11:49 PM

OMG thank you! have a V70XC that I want to upgrade and you just answer 90% of my questions!