Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

1999 S80 question

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 09:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1999 S80 question

Tech,

I guess you missed my original post. It turns out the dealership only gave me the service (valet) key, and not the master. I discovered this when I A) couldnt manually open my trunk using the cylinder, and B) can lock the glove compartment.

Old 04-12-2005, 09:30 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Ok yes sorry I overlooked that somehow.
I would try to make them get you a new key for free.Use the fact of what happened and you couldn't get in the trunk.

Old 04-13-2005, 04:58 PM

Attempted...the dealership said If the original owner didn't have it, I would be responsible to replace it myself. (Which is BS).

Old 04-13-2005, 05:37 PM
Administrator

I agree they should pay for it them selves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-13-2005, 06:18 PM

I am currently having the same issue, and am also taking business law this semester. I spoke with my professor about my specific issue which is exactly the issue you are having. Legally they are responsible to provide you with a master key because the master key performs functions which the valet can not. You may sue and recover the amount for the key plus 3 times your hardship costs. They have a civil liability to you as a merchant to provide you with a fully functional vehicle. Check out the federal trade commissions website. This should help you. You can file in small claims court for @ $19, depending on where you live.

Old 04-13-2005, 11:45 PM

Well I'll offer for them to acquire me a key, and not push the hardship-costs...yeah it took me an hour to jump the car to open the trunk and then drive the three blocks up to my house...I don't think thats quite considered hardship costs. What is the article number of the law that tells me they have to provide it?

Old 04-14-2005, 01:04 AM

Go the Federal Trade Commission website and read their guidelines. Dont know the site name of hand but it will come right up when you do a search. My computer is acting up and it has been loading what it wants to. It doesn't state specifically anywhere that they must provide you with a master key. They must provide you with what they know to be needed in order to operate the car. As a merchant they have a duty to know, (like a doctor knows how to prescribe medicine), and to let you as the consumer know. For the purposes which you purchased the vehicle, (ie. a fully functional and accessible vehicle), the vehicle is inoperable, but sold as the opposite. I would sue for damages. You are entitled to recieve some compensation. Hope this helped.

Old 04-14-2005, 01:10 AM

Not to mention that you have had the car for two months, you are still covered under the lemon law. Personally I wish I had never bought this car. It has been a nightmare. My sister has the same car but turbo and she has had numerous problems also. i have done alot of research on Volvo cars from 99-01, and those are definately the years to stay away from.

Old 04-14-2005, 01:23 PM
reg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will find that treble damages are difficult to prove in small claims. In fact I truly doubt that you could obtain them under UCC. Fraud and the like are difficult to prove....................of course the cost of a key will not be offset by the cost of litigation. You will find that the court will not hear a small case such as what you are proposing and as I earlier indicated..................small claims will be a difficult venue to collect treble damages.

Old 04-14-2005, 08:15 PM

I'm just going to demand that they purchase a new key (a master key) for me, and if they do not, I don't have a choice except to buy a new one myself.

Old 04-14-2005, 09:03 PM
reg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You hit it on the nose!! Sometimes you simply have to swallow and bite the bullet. You might explore other avenues such as your better business bureau and the like. Perhaps you could bring some heat through those entities. You will also find that Volvo does not offer much via their warranties...............it always seems that your problem is an "adjustment" and of course that is not covered. My local dealer does treat me quite well................I suppose it is because I have three autos serviced by them and they want the business.

Old 04-15-2005, 12:45 AM

Back to the topic of S80's, anyone who knows the power steering belt and that area:

So the process started with removing the cover off the computer box, and then moving the box after unbolting it from the frame. Then we had to take the cover off of the timing belt to gain access to the PS belt attached to the AC compressor. Then the belt was stuck at the very bottom of the AC and couldn't be squeezed through. I needed a new one, anyway, so that wasnt a problem. We just sliced it. After that, we discovered that the alternator is bolted twice to the AC compressor and once to the power steering pump. After unbolting it, we also realize there is no room to move it. We disconnected the power steering tubing, and held it to keep the fluids from running out. Then we move the oil pan cylinder and took out the alternator.

The question I have is what is the best way to re-attach the power steering belt?

Old 04-15-2005, 10:30 AM
Administrator

You will have to remove the lower crank pulley outer part.There is 2 13mm bolts that hold the outer part of the pulley on.Once you remove the 4 screws the outer peice will fall off.Install the belt and then install teh outer peice.

FYI: in the future you don't need to remove the computer cover.You also don't need to remove the timing belt cover.

Old 04-15-2005, 11:40 PM

We couldn't figure out how to get the serpentine (I hope i spelled that right) belt off without removing it. I was unable to reach the tensioner without taking it off. Also, for some reason, the very bottom pulley that the belt was on was wedged against the bottom of the frame and made it nearly impossible to take the belt off. Any advice as to how to get it back on down there?

Old 04-16-2005, 12:39 AM
Administrator

Do you mean the pulley was rubbing on the subframe?
I really don't understand what you are saying.

Old 04-16-2005, 01:49 AM
Administrator

Lift the car on the passenger side(right side) and remove the tire.There is a cover held on bye two plastic nuts.Remove the nuts then fold the plastic cover up towards the front of the car.
Then you will see the lower crank pulley setup.You will need to remove the 4 screws holding the outside part of the pulley on.Then the outer peice will fall off.It is pretty much flat.I have inserted a drawing I made in paint it looks something like it.Excuse the drawing it was fast but should give you the idea of what to look for.

If you have anymore trouble let me know.

Once you remove the outer part of the pulley it will give you plenty of room to install the serpentine belt.

[IMG]local://upfiles/853/00904C1F423C47998D50B2A87D6E14EB.gif[/IMG]

Old 04-17-2005, 05:10 AM

Actually, that's what we had to end up doing. The problem was that we had to pull back the wheel well cover to take off the outer part of the pulley. After doing this, we had alot of trouble getting the timing belt cover (which we found out really didn't need removing) on properly. The cover was pressed up againt the timing belt and squeaking because the cover wasn't propped up onto the pulley assembly correctly (It was tucked inside the outer plate). After 4 hours of labor (I wonder what the book time is on that?) The car is running in near perfect condition...

Again, with the S80 questions..Now I have the same problem with my key getting stuck in the ignition...but It doesn't have to do with the shiftlock or the brake, because depressing either does nothing. Instead, the key gets entirely stuck into the tumbler. I have already had this looked at once, and I can't just leave my key in the car...my battery will drain. Any assistance, or should I take it to the dealership and work out alot of the problems I've been having?

Old 04-17-2005, 12:13 PM
Administrator

Does the key return all the way back like it is supposed to?

Try spraying a tad of WD-40 in the cylinder.

Also try playing with the shifter.If the shifter is not 100% in park and pushed all the way foward the key will not turn all the way back.

There is a cable that runs from the ignition switch to the shifter.Thats why you can't turn the car off and remove the key with it in gear,

Old 04-17-2005, 10:14 PM

I tried the WD-40 and still fiddled with it for about 15 minutes...and finally it came loose....and now there's no resistance. I may have broken whatever was in my way. The keylock isn't broken because it still has to be in (P) and the brake depressed for the key to come out. I'm going out of town at the end of the week, and leaving it with the dealership...and hopefully they can solve the problem. I'm also having them take a look at the transmission slippage.

Question: Since the tranny is adaptive, could it take a little while for it to completely adapt to my driving (especially if I speed alot, and drive slow in towns? Lol..)

Old 04-17-2005, 11:36 PM
Administrator

It might take a little while but not to long.Mention it to the dealer and they will probably make sure the software is all updated.

Quick Reply: 1999 S80 question