Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

2000 S80 RPM jumping and grinding (w/ videos). please help

Old 05-28-2009, 11:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 S80 RPM jumping and grinding (w/ videos). please help

Salutations,

I have a 2000 Volvo S80. Over the past year, I have been experiencing two reoccurring issues with my car. 1) The RPM at any point over 2 and between 2.5 - 2.75 will jump in a way that feels like it is resetting itself. It does this if I hold the gas at a set position, (i.e. trying to maintain 2.15 rpm) The mechanics claim they can not reproduce it, but it happens every time I drive. Just watch as it goes between 2 and 2.5

Video = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfTEnkaVr7Q

The other issues is a metal on metal grinding noise coming from the front of the car..I believe it is coming from the wheel area. This noise does not last forever, but is more random in its duration. Both the dealer and the mechanic have no clue and can not reproduce it.

Video = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MBVrIVu2oU

I really need to have some idea the next time I talk to anyone about it, if anyone has any clue on what it could be...please let me know.

Thanks

Old 05-28-2009, 03:07 PM

Is the problem under full throttle? I had the same problem and it slowly got worse. It ended up being my fuel pump. Not too bad to replace yourself for around $525 after parts. Others have had the ETM and/or Turbo Control Valve cause similar issues. What is your center warning light on for? Hook up a code reader and see if that helps.

My problem lasted from November until this May. Together, at this link, we found the issue.

https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/surging-full-throttle-27198/

If you take it to the dealer again, have them hook up the gauges to monitor the fuel pressure. You are paying for the diagnostic fee. They should be able to do it under that. I would suspect around $110 or a little more to do that.

Still, I highly recommend putting a code reader on it before throwing any money in a blind direction. Did they mention anything else being wrong?

Old 05-28-2009, 06:00 PM

Change the transmission fluid and check your calipers lately?

Old 05-29-2009, 09:07 AM

Thank ya'll for responding. The codes that were displayed in those video's was for my door being slightly open and for evap codes.....however, I am looking at the work order from the last time I took it to the dealer.

Completed ETM cleaning (transmission?)
Air intake clean
Hos Clamp

They also replaced my engine mount for the metal grinding on the second video...but both problems still persist...

It will not jump in rpm if at full throttle, only between 2 and 2.5 .... nothing else. There had been times when I would come to a stop and the rpm would drop to nothing, but that stopped after the last time I took it to the dealer.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:35 AM

Maybe the transmission is "hunting" between two gears - can't decide which gear to be in, so keeps shifting back and forth.

Also, could be the rpm sensor.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Jhenry850
The other issues is a metal on metal grinding noise coming from the front of the car..I believe it is coming from the wheel area. This noise does not last forever, but is more random in its duration. Both the dealer and the mechanic have no clue and can not reproduce it.

Video = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MBVrIVu2oU
That noise sounds way to fast to be the axles/wheels. I'd look at the serpentine/accessory belt area. With the two clunks at the end, it may be the AC compressor clutch.

Old 05-30-2009, 11:28 AM

i have the same rpm jump. it started doing it on the day i had the ETM serviced due to the recall. i wonder if that is causing it.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:57 AM

The throttle control is very easy to clean yourself. Remove the plastic air intake tube between your airbox and the intake manifold. Four bolts hold the throttle control box onto the manifold. Unplug the wiring harness first though. If it has carbon deposits in the butterfly area use carb cleaner to blast it out. Then reinstall. This got rid of my rpm drop at idle as well as surging at very low rpms. Next step is to determine why it was carboned up. Most likely the pcv system is dirty or clogged.

Old 06-01-2009, 03:52 PM

Thank you for the thoughts, I will take these the next time I bring it in. In regards to the metal on metal grinding, it did it this weekend. When I was reversing, it was making a steady scream, and then as soon as I cut the wheels, the pitch loosened up and I heard a couple of clunks....it went away when I started moving forward.....any ideas?

Old 06-01-2009, 10:43 PM

Just watched your videos. The grinding sounds just like mine when I have a small piece of gravel lodged in the brakes. Normally happens to me in the winter from the graveled roads. It eventually comes out, or if I get impatient I take them apart. I've found them in between the rotor and shield, and lodged in the calipers. You could try taking off the wheel and looking around. If you're lucky and find it, you may be able to get it out with a screwdriver or something.

The RPM thing....hmmmm.....Does it only do it at 60 mph? Or does it do it when you are reving up in neutral too? If only at speed then have you had your transmission checked? My only experience with a tranny is on my Yukon. It started reving up and down at hiway speeds. Had to have it replaced.