Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

2000 S80 T6 - some issues that aren't really issues yet - a message and jumpy RPMs

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 05:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 S80 T6 - some issues that aren't really issues yet - a message and jumpy RPMs

Hi all, so I am relatively new to the Volvo world, and my mechanical inclination is nil-to-little (unfortunately I only knew how to work on the 'o Civic motor and, hey! A 2T moror is [thankfully] nothing like that).

My hubbs and I are noticing a couple of things on the "new" s80. First, it's pulling a "gear selector reduced function" message... Everything is shifting fine, no hard shifts or anything like that (it's been a long time since I've had an automatic but even he's noticed no tranny issues). From a search I ran on here I'm assuming our winter/wet mode isn't going to be working... I'll check up on that tomorrow... I'm also assuming our shifter lights won't be working (not having an automatic for a while has made me incredibly unobservant to that, apparently). Add that to tomorrow's to-check list.

The second thing we have noticed is that at 60mph and/or around 2300 RPMs, the RPMs are surging a bit and falling back to normal. At first we thought that the "small" turbo just built boost and blew off at that speed/RPM range... Come to find out, they're both the same size. =-/ Can you tell it's our first Volvo? Haha. All dumb jokes aside, that's apparently not causing the issue and I really didn't know what to search for there. He pulled the air filter out and it's just nasty with dirt and dust... Add buy an air filter to tomorrow's list, also, but I highly doubt that would cause such a specific thing to happen. Any ideas?

I suppose this is mostly a, "Hey, if you happen to know..!" type of thread since we'll be getting an insurance settlement for it in the next two days so we can have it fixed... No kidding, not a week after we got the car a ten minute (helluva) hail storm that rained down (and sideways!) golfball-sized and down hailstones (some even had spiky fingers - talk about crazy barometric pressure!). It put some dings in her and scratched the paint pretty well - it also chipped the black rubber seals along the bottoms of the windows and burst the plugs in the top where I'm assuming you'd attach a roof rack. We're going to cut our losses on the body and fix these issues - and a strut that seems to be bad or getting that way. Paint/body can wait 'till income tax time, we have about ten days left in TN until we have to make the trek to NY so it has to function well past properly before we attempt that. BUT if it can be fixed without dipping into that money too far, we'd both be grateful for your help.

Oh yeah! Also, we have the executive edition, if that makes a difference, so it has the fridge and TV. There is a button between the DTSC and trunk lock that is a picture of a car with lines coming down from the middle inside it. Initially we thought it was an alien-abduction button, but we pushed it and nothng happened... =-P In all seriousness, it looks like an interior dome/alarm button, maybe, but the lights don't change and we're not sure there is an alarm in it. The owner's manual offers no help, either, so if you know and tell me we'd both feel a lot less stupid. =-]

Old 05-31-2011, 07:42 PM

Update: The gear selector message is gone and winter/wet mode is working, as are the lights on the shifter. Hmm.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:36 AM

The button with the car and lines in center is possibly the motion sensor shut off. The car may have a security system that see motion inside of the car. Sensor is in roof panel about the middle of the car. If you want to sit inside of the car while waiting at lets say the train station, You can lock the doors with the security system and turn off the motion sensor. Otherwise you will be dealing with a loud siern every five minutes.

Old 06-02-2011, 11:56 AM

Yeah the T6 has 2x Mitsubishi TDO3 8G's. Teeny turbos, but they spool up real fast.

My guess is that the lockup solenoid has failed in the transmission and that is why you are seeing the fluctuation in RPMs at cruising speed, assuming that is what you are experiencing. Is the check engine light on?

The owners manual definitely covers all the buttons and features and should explain what the buttons do. I think the trunk one is to lock the trunk while the car is unlocked and the alarm one toggles three different "protection" modes.

Old 06-03-2011, 12:23 PM

Yes, the check engine light is on. We'll definitely mention tat when we go to get it worked on... We are still waiting on the damn insurance adjuster to come out and check on it.

As far as the books, no. They don't. They don't mention any of the rear buttons, fridge, or TV.