Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

2002 S80 T6 PCV Service - Still have oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 07:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 S80 T6 PCV Service - Still have oil leak

I really need some help/advice. My S80 has had the problem where the oil dip stick pops and oil is pumped up through the dip stick tube making a complete mess of the engine compartment and driveway. I had the messed cleaned and the PCV service performed thinking that would solve the problem. It didn't.

Here are my questions for all the S80 veterans out there:

1) Do I replace the vent box since cleaning didn't apparently do the job or should cleaning really have taken care of it?
2) Should I replace the 3mm vacuum line on the top of the vent box?
3) Is there any wisdom in replacement versus cleaning?
4) Should I be concerned about the vent baffle on the lower side of the engine inside the oil pan?
5) I really don't want to have to remove the oil pan. Do I have any other options to ensure the whole venting system is clear and open?

I could really use some words of wisdom to put a stop to the mess on my driveway.

Thank you in advance.

Skooter

Old 03-25-2011, 10:55 AM

Did you clean out the PTC? Its the electrical connector thingy at the top of the motor where the PCV pipe enters in the inlet.
Did you ensure the aluminum pipe from the PCV box to the inlet is clear?

1) Do I replace the vent box since cleaning didn't apparently do the job or should cleaning really have taken care of it?

Cleaning should have really taken care of it. Did you check to make sure the box was clear after cleaning.

If its connected at both ends and clear then there is no point. The hole inside the banjo bolt needs to be clean too as well.

Few other things:

Did you check that the holes in the actual block for the PCV were clear?
Excessive blowby past the rings may cause too much pressure in the crankcase no matter what you do.

Old 03-25-2011, 11:08 AM

Great feedback Boost! To 1) I want to say yes. To 2) I will have to go look. As far as blowby, that is a non-issue. Compression is good and the car still runs very strong so unless you tell me something about it I am not thinking of.

I will have to look at the PTC connector as well. I am pretty sure that wasn't touched.

Bottom line, I have some more homework to do. In the mean time, if anyone else has anything to offer, let me have it.

Thanks again.

Skooter

Old 03-25-2011, 11:10 AM

One more question Boost...any thoughts on the lower end being blocked and causing the problem if the top end checks good?? Have you ever seen that?

Skooter

Old 03-25-2011, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by skooter66
One more question Boost...any thoughts on the lower end being blocked and causing the problem if the top end checks good?? Have you ever seen that?

Skooter
By lower end do you mean the bottom hole in the block? I think if you have checked everything else out, you may need to drop the pan, but for sure I'd be checking that the is a vacuum present at the box from the banjo thingy, that the aluminum pipe is clear and that the PTC is clear also.

Old 03-27-2011, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by skooter66
I really need some help/advice. My S80 has had the problem where the oil dip stick pops and oil is pumped up through the dip stick tube making a complete mess of the engine compartment and driveway. I had the messed cleaned and the PCV service performed thinking that would solve the problem. It didn't.

Here are my questions for all the S80 veterans out there:

3) Is there any wisdom in replacement versus cleaning?
4) Should I be concerned about the vent baffle on the lower side of the engine inside the oil pan?
5) I really don't want to have to remove the oil pan. Do I have any other options to ensure the whole venting system is clear and open?

I could really use some words of wisdom to put a stop to the mess on my driveway.

Thank you in advance.

Skooter
Are you sure they did the job right? The PCV service should have fixed that issue? What did they do exactly? The entire service is a bout $400-$500. A lot of the engine has to be disassembled. There are partial PCV services as well.

Jim

Old 03-30-2011, 09:15 AM

Yes, job was done right. Manifold was off plus other components removed for cleaning. Plan of attack now is to hit the entire system with engine solvent (manifold off again) to try to remove the coking and varnish that must still be blocking the vent passages as something had to have been missed. PTC and banjo bolt are clear. Still trying to avoid removing the oil pan. Hope to know by the end of the week if this plan of attack works.

Old 10-22-2011, 06:27 PM

Did you ever get this fixed? if so what was the problem?

Old 10-25-2011, 08:38 PM

look at the small tee style fitting that the PCV hoses coming off the oil trap go to. I had to use a drill bit and a drill to clean out. use caution not to drill thru it though. that would be a quick and easy check. what was the compression readings if you don't mind me asking? are you getting smoke out of the oil dipstick?

Old 10-28-2011, 08:08 AM

I have done everthing here twice and I still have the dipstick poping up a bit. Every hose looks clear and I can blow compressed air into the top of the oil trap and feel it comming out through the oil filler on the top of the motor.

What type of blockage in the oil pan could be causing this problem?