Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

2004 S80 stalling out/no diagnosis

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 04:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 S80 stalling out/no diagnosis

I have a 2004 S80 turbo with 100K mi. Has been reliable up to now and purchased used a few years ago, used. Car is in NE, and two recent heat waves with high humidity (July), resulting in 3 incidents. Incident #1 stalled out while reversing into a parking space. Started up again after a couple tries and driven 5-10 miles later that day without incident. The following day (also quite hot), #2, it stalled again while in stop and go traffic on secondary road after leaving work (<2 miles). Stalling include no noises, deceleration and total loss of power/steering. No error messages on dash, and had to get towed. Tow operator later saw error message indicating "service prohibited" when unloading car to local mechanic. Upon assessment, mechanic (not a dealer) could not diagnose the problem. Then took to a volvo dealer, with same result and some "old fault codes" that were "unrelated". Keys determined to be fine. Two weeks later, incident #3: another heat wave and high humidity. Within an hour of a large thunderstorm (and cooling temp to approximately 80 degrees), I drove approximately 8-10 miles on the highway (45mph) and lost power again rolling to a stop in stop and go traffic. Unable to steer, and deceleration. On #3, there was mild vibration at higher speeds (x2 days before, as if wheels need balancing). Luckily no accident occurred. After putting it in park and waiting about 5-10 seconds, successful when restarted. Subsequently drove it to dealer again, who cannot identify problem. Ruled out fuel pump, computer shows no fault codes, or error messages and cannot replicate stalling (and weather is now in 70's vs. 90's and much less humid).

Recent service done includes: detailing, oil change and replacement of air filter and recommendation to replace the oil separator/breather. Full gas tank for all 3 incidents. Any recommendations re: diagnosis, prognosis, or other things to have them check?

Old 08-07-2012, 09:17 PM

Hi, still hoping to get some insight. Car has been to dealer multiple times, computer software/ECM updated. Seemed somewhat better, but then seems hesitant again while driving on highway and short distances. In addition, radio would not work either. Feels as though there is an electrical problem, some sort of short. Any ideas out there? Check engine light came on briefly, and I am hoping a fault code was stored. Waiting to find out from mechanic.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hmm seems even the dealer cannot find the problem. Can i suggest looking in to electronic throttle/module??. Also will disconnecting the battery and then reconnecting might bring some codes???? You mentioned about correlation to heat wave..how is the condition of the coolant and/or coolant parts.
Plus i m surprised you didn't get hit by cars when stalling in traffic.
Also you should contact Volvo USA and tell them this matter and how serious it is

Last edited by akabond; 08-07-2012 at 10:48 PM.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:48 PM
Default no diagnosis...

Originally Posted by akabond
hmm seems even the dealer cannot find the problem. Can i suggest looking in to electronic throttle/module??. Also will disconnecting the battery and then reconnecting might bring some codes???? You mentioned about correlation to heat wave..how is the condition of the coolant and/or coolant parts.
Plus i m surprised you didn't get hit by cars when stalling in traffic.
Also you should contact Volvo USA and tell them this matter and how serious it is
Thanks for your reply. I will try the dis/reconnect with the battery...Weather here as stabilized, much drier and no longer a heat wave. I was lucky when it stalled on the highway due to very heavy traffic. Very scary, even so. I am asking the dealer to re-check ECM/throttle which they apparently said was not the issue at prior evaluations and attempts to diagnose. I will also contact Volvo USA. Otherwise, I am hoping this time the dealer can get a handle on the problem. Thanks again.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:09 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Sorry to hear about your issues and I know NOTHING about the post '00 cars. In the pre'00 cars, the fuel control relay does cause those symptoms. It fails intermittant and does not throw codes. It would be good if you can somehow monitor fuel pressure when a problem presist and it fails to start, can you hear the fuel pump? Hope you work it out.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by rspi
Sorry to hear about your issues and I know NOTHING about the post '00 cars. In the pre'00 cars, the fuel control relay does cause those symptoms. It fails intermittant and does not throw codes. It would be good if you can somehow monitor fuel pressure when a problem presist and it fails to start, can you hear the fuel pump? Hope you work it out.
Thank you. I just got it back from the dealer again (same over 4 times). Finally, fault codes showed up--after continued engine hesitation and the "check engine" light came on. No stalling though. They found and replaced the antennae ring (apparently very worn and believed to contribute to possible electrical problems) and also the turbo control valve. Since then, no stalling, and the engine seems to be running better. I admit, that after worrying about it so much, I find it hard to feel confident in the car and continue to worry about stalling once on the highway. I also probably overly attend to every movement, jerk or little thing the car does. In addition, the radio 'cut out' once again since this last repair, but turned back on when cassette deck converter (for ipod) is ejected and then replaced to "play". I still wonder if there is an electrical short someplace...For the turbo control valve and antennae ring, does this seem likely as reasons it might lose power so intermittently? Fuel pressure came back normal again...

I am also being advised to use the "valet" key vs. the "floppy" master key with remote. And, to keep them away from one another. So far, this seems ok.