Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

2007 S80 3.2 Grinding noise while accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 11:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 S80 3.2 Grinding noise while accelerating

Thanks for the help in advance, long time lurker here. This is the first thing I have searched but not been able to find a similar post.

I have a 2007 S80 3.2 FWD with about 150k on the clock

About a month ago my passenger side driveshaft cv boot let go, and eventually l was getting wobbles on the highway when accelerating.

I was able to find a very lightly used replacement at the Volvo dismantler rather than pay $600 for a brand new one.

After I replaced it, the wobble went away but a new symptom came:

When under heavy load; accelerating past 50% throttle input or steering and accelerating, I get a metallic sounding grinding noise. It goes away as soon as I decrease the load on the motor. It sounds like it is coming from the center (maybe passenger side) of the engine compartment, and I can feel it in the gas pedal.

At first I thought it may be the carrier bearing, but after I removed the bearing holder, it seems to be in great shape.

I would assume that perhaps I didn't tighten down something perfectly, or something is rubbing now that didn't used to. I had to bang on the hub assembly to remove it from the axle spine, so perhaps I damaged the wheel bearing while doing so?

About 6 months ago I replaced the upper hydraulic motor mount as well, as it had failed.

Sorry for the wall of text. Let me if you nice folks have heard this noise before! Thanks again, Casey

Old 02-05-2017, 04:44 PM
Default what was it?

Hi there Casey,
i am experiencing he same noise with my Volvo 2007 s80.
Did you ever find out what the noise was ?

thanks
Originally Posted by norcalcasey
Thanks for the help in advance, long time lurker here. This is the first thing I have searched but not been able to find a similar post.

I have a 2007 S80 3.2 FWD with about 150k on the clock

About a month ago my passenger side driveshaft cv boot let go, and eventually l was getting wobbles on the highway when accelerating.

I was able to find a very lightly used replacement at the Volvo dismantler rather than pay $600 for a brand new one.

After I replaced it, the wobble went away but a new symptom came:

When under heavy load; accelerating past 50% throttle input or steering and accelerating, I get a metallic sounding grinding noise. It goes away as soon as I decrease the load on the motor. It sounds like it is coming from the center (maybe passenger side) of the engine compartment, and I can feel it in the gas pedal.

At first I thought it may be the carrier bearing, but after I removed the bearing holder, it seems to be in great shape.

I would assume that perhaps I didn't tighten down something perfectly, or something is rubbing now that didn't used to. I had to bang on the hub assembly to remove it from the axle spine, so perhaps I damaged the wheel bearing while doing so?

About 6 months ago I replaced the upper hydraulic motor mount as well, as it had failed.

Sorry for the wall of text. Let me if you nice folks have heard this noise before! Thanks again, Casey

Old 02-06-2017, 12:14 PM

Yeah I did figure out what it was. It was the downpipe (exhaust) vibrating against the crossmember when it accelerated. for some reason my crossmember was a bit bent (maybe imporper jacking).

But in your case your motor mount could have failed/be failing and allowing your motor to sag a bit too much under load and hitting the same crossmember. Hope this helps. Good luck