Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

99 S80 Key will not turn at all

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 04:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 S80 Key will not turn at all

Hi everyone this is my first post and im hoping someone can help me

Currently the ignition key will not turn at all and the steering wheel is locked. I have tried wiggling the steering wheel while turning the key to try to get it unstuck but with no luck.

Now my question is. is there anyway to bypass this so that I am at least able to drive it until i am able to purchase a new ignition cylinder?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 05-09-2016, 11:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had 3 ignitions break on me.

1st time, steering locked key wouldn't turn. After a lot of yelling, cussing, hitting the steering wheel in rage, fiddling with the key and about 15minutes it eventually turned.
Later I had the issue again with that key which turned out to just be from the key itself being worn out from to much use. After getting a new key it was fine the ignition was never actually broken. Until I got a new key I just used the spare.

2nd time my brother pulled the key out of the ignition which was still in the on position 1 and well, it wouldn't take a key anymore, wouldn't turn and in the end I drilled it out and replaced it.

3rd time I walked outside, turned the key and on position 1 the truck started the ignition seemed to "snap" inside and it came completely loose.
I had to pull the plug wires to kill the truck since I couldn't get to the alternator without removing parts the engine needed while running and since its running pulling the battery wouldn't kill it.
That also needed a new ignition.

The first time it happened was on a 2000 Toyota Echo back around 2011. So I would look at trying another key in the car or getting a new key cut.
You should be able to transfer your chip from the old used and worn out key to the new cut key. Ford keys have a rubber access port to the chip were you can easily pull it out and swap them between keys. Not sure about your key look it up.