Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

alarm or no alarm?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 07:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default alarm or no alarm?

Hi Guys,

Maybe some can shed some light on this.
I have a late 99 s80which there strangely seems to be no alarm system.
Hmmmm i though such aluxury would have an alarm as std as the S80
is fully loaded with all options and costed a fortune new!
Maybe the Aussie S80 version had the alarm as an optional extra?
I really don't think mine came with an alarm from the factory.
Here's why
1:My keyfob/Remote has no panic button.(though i'm sure it's not a requirment for the alarm).
2:I can't see the alarm siren/module behined the front right or left gaurd/panel.(I have heard some of the s60'suse the horns as the audible device?).
3:There seems to be no wires going to either of the bonnet/hood latches.(This i am sure alone suggests there is no alarm).
4:No fuse in the alarm fuse space on the side of the dashboard (i did put a fuse in but no joy when i attempted to trigger the alarm).
I tested by locking the carwith the remote whilst inside then popping the doors,bonnet/hood,i also tried this with the window down & standing outside the car.
5:No tilt sensor in the boot/trunk under the fuse panel where is should be located (though i believe this is an option & noot required for the alarm).
6:The car does have the sun sensor & i have confirmed that the LED for the alarm is in there beside the photo diode for the sun sensor (the LED has never lit up).
7:the blinkers/indicators do flash when locking & unlocking the doors via the remote/keyfob or by unlocking by using the key in the doors.
I am keen to get some feedback on this as i really think this car should have come with the alarm as standard!
Can some please shed some light.

Thanks heaps

Old 06-13-2007, 07:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: alarm or no alarm?

You certainly did your homework on this, huh? You may be right that the vehicle is market dependent. I looked at the vehicle specifications for the 99 and it stated that a security alarm was indeed standard equipment on the S80. I do think that the empty fuse location was intended for an auxiliary burglar alarm and not the regular security system. But its odd that you did not see a siren. One thing I did pick up from my reading: the security system takes 25 seconds to fully activate. So if your tests were done within that time frame from locking up you may want to give it another go.