Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Any Thoughts? Axle seal leaks

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 10:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Thoughts? Axle seal leaks

I have an axle seal leak on the passager side seal. I replaced both the axle and seal twice with the same result. Both times I have used new OEM seals and reman Napa axles. I am thinking that during the reman process that they may be taking down do much material on axles? Any thought or comments...

Old 03-17-2012, 03:47 PM

Are you sure it is the axle seal leaking? When you put the seal on the axle before you install the seal dose it seem to fit tight on the sealing surface.

Old 03-17-2012, 04:02 PM
ed7
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think there would any shaft diameter difference, and it's not likely that the shaft is the problem. The shaft has to fit the bearing behind the seal.
It is possible for the bearing to be worn enough or have a broken cage to allow the shaft to become eccentric during rotation and allow for oil to leak past the seal.
Grab the shaft and shove it up and down, checking for slack, this will give you some indication of bearing problems.
Also- make sure the lip of the seal hasn't folded under upon installation.
Ed

Old 03-18-2012, 08:42 AM

Not positive but i dont think there is a bearing in there like you are thinking ed7. If anything there is a brass or bronze bushing. All independent axles have up and down play more than what you would think in at the tranny. So be care full condemning the diff for up and down play. How long dose it take to start leaking again travis. I dont think during the remaning processes they take any material off it is ether good or not. I have had problems with remand units in the past maybe get a new one advance auto parts has new axles for cheap that seem to be good quality.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:48 AM

There is also a tsb about the angle gear vent leaking fluid that is right above the axle seals. Not sure if it applys to your car if you have year make and model i can see. Also on the vent subject as your diff heats up the fluid expands. If the vent is clogged it will keep blowing axle seals from the increased pressure. This usually only happens on rear truck axles but just a thought.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:21 AM

Thanks for the input folks. I think it maybe the bearing and/or the used axle tolerances. I do not see any leakage from above so I don't believe it to be the vent you are speaking of. It is a 2002 S80 FWD non turbo. I had a transmission rebuild about 50K ago so I would hope that everything has been updated and/or changed. I think I may pick up a new axle and see how that goes. I always hate purchasing cheap aftermarket crap but don't want to spend my paycheck at the dealer for OEM. I figured OEM remanufactured would do the trick but they do not replace the carrier bearing so that may be the issue here.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:24 PM

I have replaced the axle (another reman) and new axle seal...it still leaks. I did have my transmission rebuilt so I wonder if the diff. or something in transmission could be causing this? Anyone with transmission knowledge. I really don't believe it to be either the seal or axle at this point.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:00 AM

I finally brought car back to the folks that rebuilt my trans and they can't figure out why this thing is still leaking after a week in their shop. My new theory is that when they reinstalled rebuilt trans the bell housing may not be totally flush with engine and this is creating a very slight angle between axle seal and axle causing the leak. The carrier bearing on the axle is on a fixed point on motor so this may make sense. Anyone here have some input?

Old 12-27-2017, 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by travismail
I have an axle seal leak on the passager side seal. I replaced both the axle and seal twice with the same result. Both times I have used new OEM seals and reman Napa axles. I am thinking that during the reman process that they may be taking down do much material on axles? Any thought or comments...
Same issue, 2001 V70 XC AWD, 188k miles, replaced driver side axle seal x2, still leaking. not from the OD of seal, but ID around the axle insert from the bottom.
Have you , or anyone had any success in figuring out cause, or repair?

Thanks,