Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

CEM, Transmission, air mass meter

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 03:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CEM, Transmission, air mass meter

I have loved my 2001 S80 (41k) until about 8 mos ago. I had to have the ETM replaced, which, after calling Volvo North America, had it replaced for free. (recall wasn't out yet). Days later, the check engine light came back on. I was told I need to replace the the left O2 sensors, both front and back. The code was reset and stayed off for awhile, but eventually came back on. A volvo dealership told me it needed to be replaced, but wasn't urgent, so I waited. Over a period of time, I had 3 other mechanics check it. They couldn't find anything wrong, but the message kept appearing.

A few weeks ago, I took it to a different dealership for a tune up and to check the "check Engine" light again and I told him about the O2 sensors. He said I don't need new O2 sensors but that I needed a new CEM ($900), which they replaced. 2 days leter the "check engine" light is back on. A couple days later, the "trunk lid open" light comes on (with the trunk tightly closed) and I'm unable to open the trunk with the remote. Have to use the key. A couple days later, it does it again. THEN... on my way to work today, the message "transmission service urgent" light comes on, so I take it to the dealership that just replaced the CEM. Now I'm told I may need a new transmission and the air mass meter needs to be replaced/reloaded.

This car is less than 6 years old, only has 41k on it, has had all it's tune ups etc on a regular basis. What is going on here? I feel like I'm being taken for an expensive ride!

Help!

Old 07-18-2006, 04:55 AM
Default RE: CEM, Transmission, air mass meter

I don't know hard to say, but most sensors work by closing and opening grounds. The computer reads the switching of the grounds as inputs. I worked on a car with a problem that sounds similiar to this, it was a 05 mitsubishi evo, and it was throwing off all the sensors and the pcm couldnt thought the car had major problems and went into safe mode (tranny cut out to 30mph, o2 sensors were off, check engine light, etc). It turned out to be the main ground for the pcm was faulty and none of the ground signals being sent were correct. Ended up changing the pcm (it eventually fried itself from the voltage spikes caused from the bad ground) and cleaning all the ground contacts and it worked just fine after.

Old 07-19-2006, 12:01 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Might also be a problem from the Software soemthing might have gone wrong in the transfer.

Old 07-19-2006, 03:20 AM

The service rep told me today that I do need to have the transmission replaced. They tried draining it, etc. He did say he agreed that my car looks to have been kept in good condition and that it is unusual for this to happen with this low of mileage. He can promise anything but will try to work with volvo tomorrow to see what they can do for me. I can't help but think I'm being fed a line. I don't know cars, but replacing a transmission in well-taken-care-of car with only 41k miles seems pretty darn uncommon to me.

Old 07-19-2006, 03:21 AM

oops, that should have read, "he CAN'T promise anything..."

thanks for the replies.

Old 07-19-2006, 09:34 PM
Administrator

I have seen it before.
Have they told you what codes came up?

Was the transmission shifting properly?

Old 07-20-2006, 01:21 AM

something about the cillanoid (however you spell and whatever that is) slipping or not catching. After the Transmission Service Urgent came up, I did notice a difference in the car. For instance, normally from a stop, I could hit the gas and go. After the message, at a stop, the car would move very slowly then take off. I was on the freeway when the message came on, at a fairly constant speed, so there was no need for the shifting.

They never told me exact codes.
Thanks for your help.

Old 07-20-2006, 11:49 PM
Administrator

Most solenionds can be replaced.

Any time there is a code in the system the car starts off in 3rd gear(Limp home mode)