Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Check Engine Code P0442

Old 03-19-2012, 07:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Engine Code P0442

Have any of you folks had this code come up and what was your resolution? I have already purchased a new gas cap, reset, and engine light did pop back up. I am thinking it may be J house at rear canister or evap switch hoses up front on fan shroud but don't want to start replacing everything. The hoses are starting to look a bit tired. Anyone tackle this? Thanks

Old 05-12-2012, 08:44 PM

I read in another post that the "J" hose is a problem. Mine is doing the same thing, so I'll be taking a look at this soon. Apparently it's back at the fuel tank and is pretty hard to reach. One person coated the cracked area with black RTV and it seems to have fixed his problem. He said it's been over a year and no problem, so I may try that.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:20 PM

Dear Volvo owners,

I have a 2001 Volvo S80 2.9. A check engine signal recently appeared and the Volvo scanner shows a code of P0442. Basically, when the car is idle the RPM needle will start to oscillate. The needle will go down to a little below 500rpm and when the car starts to choke, the needle will spike back up a little above 1,000 RPM and then keep doing this repeatedly. Also, the interior lights and headlights will get dimmer as the RPM needle goes down, and then get brighter when the needle spikes up. All the spark plugs are new and with my spark plug tester I tested the ignition coils and they all work properly. Does anyone have any ideas what the problem could be? Does the problem perhaps lie with the air intake/air filter?

Old 08-05-2013, 05:28 AM
Default Please Help

Dear Volvo owners,

I have a 2001 Volvo S80 2.9. A check engine signal recently appeared and the Volvo scanner shows a code of P0442. Basically, when the car is idle the RPM needle will start to oscillate. The needle will go down to a little below 500rpm and when the car starts to choke, the needle will spike back up a little above 1,000 RPM and then keep doing this repeatedly. Also, the interior lights and headlights will get dimmer as the RPM needle goes down, and then get brighter when the needle spikes up. All the spark plugs are new and with my spark plug tester I tested the ignition coils and they all work properly. Does anyone have any ideas what the problem could be? Does the problem perhaps lie with the air intake/air filter?

Old 10-08-2013, 06:48 PM

Hi guys, the p0442 is related to the j hose... I just changed mine 2 weeks ago and the problem code disappeared. Basically there were cracks on the hose where the clamps connected it to the canister and the valve thats its connected to. I did mine in the garage... some general tips:
1) loosen the exhaust from all the rubber hangs and then the bracket just before the muffler, at this point the rear of the exhaust will hang enough for u to take out the heat sheild under the rear resonator - take the sheild out. You can use a jack to hold up the exhaust system
2) look below the canister under the rear cross member, you will see 2 12mm bolts, remove these and it will loosen the canister bracket
3) feel the bracket on the canister on the side towards the gas cap, theres a valve the slides into the bracket (one end of the jhose is on this valve), remove the entire valve by sliding it off the bracket (life upwards)
4) remove the jhose and the other hose from the valve as that might be cracked too ( note where the other hose is plugged into, its a pipe thats coming down from the gas filler) - replace both hoses
5) remove the jhose from the other side of the canister and replace it.
6) reassemble is opposite or disassemble.

Hope this helps... if you're doing this in you garage with jack stands and jack, be aware you're going to spend some time on your back for a while. .. good luck :-)