Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

ETM repair didn't work, any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 02:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ETM repair didn't work, any ideas?

Hey all,

I have a 2000 S80 T6. Last week I pulled code P0121 from it after it went into limp mode. It has a check engine light on, service light, and a message that says engine service needed.

I installed this contactless sensor part:
New 99 00 01 02 Volvo ETM Contactless Throttle Body Position Sensor TPS Kit | eBay

I started it up and it still has the same issue. I cleared the code and P0121 still comes back and the car remains in limp mode.

Did I miss something? This shouldn't require a program right? Are there any voltage checks I can do?

Thanks for the help!

Old 06-01-2016, 10:41 AM

Key on engine off noise test:

ETM voltage test:

green: 12V
brown: .2 Ohms
blue/red: 1.045V
yellow/green: 0.006V

So If I understand correctly, the blue/red and yellow/green wire should read the same voltage (key on engine off) and should change voltage when I move the throttle plate by hand (0.8V at rest and around 2V wide open).

Since I only have the blue/red wire with voltage the computer sets the fault and goes into limp mode. I believe I installed the kit correctly. It wasn't hard, I just followed the PDF instructions. Does this mean I need a ETM now?

I thought about splicing the blue/red and yellow/green wire together to fool the computer but I don't think it would help because the voltage doesn't change when I move the throttle plate.

Old 06-07-2016, 06:09 PM

Ok, so I ordered a used ETM off ebay for my model/year and put it on the car. Right off the bat this ETM would "sing" on key position 2 when my old one wouldn't. So that was a good sign. I re-checked all the pins on the ebay ETM the same way I did before and to my surprise I got the exact same results. I expected the voltages to change when I moved the throttle plate by hand but they didn't. That confuses the hell out of me. But whatever.

Anyways, the car has been driving fine for 2 days now with the used ETM I bought on ebay! Hooray! Now to tackled the oil leaks at some point (turbo return lines and PCV).