Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Grinding Sound When AC Air Conditioning is OFF

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 02:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grinding Sound When AC Air Conditioning is OFF

Apologies in advance if this has already been covered somewhere - I've had a good look but can't find anything that seems to cover it.

I purchased a 2006 S80 SE 2.4 D5 about a week ago and have been extremely happy with it until this morning.

There's now a loud grinding noise coming from under the bonnet whenever I turn the AC OFF. When I turn the AC on the grinding dies away after a few seconds. When I turn the AC off, the grinding sound starts and continues until I turn off the AC or the engine. The sound seems to change in pitch when I go faster.

The only thing I can recall doing differently this morning is turning the temperature onto HI and the fans on full as it was very cold. The AC was on during the journey - then when I turned the engine off (which obviously turns the AC off) the grinding noise happened for the first time for a few seconds. When I turned on the engine the grinding happened for a few seconds and died off (as the AC was turning on) - then I noticed the grinding noise stays on continously when I leave the AC off.

Does anybody know what this is? Something to do with the compressor maybe? - I've read the compressor may be £500+ to replace.

Thanks

Last edited by Thundamentalist; 03-31-2010 at 02:35 PM.
Old 04-03-2010, 08:44 AM

Not that it helps, but I just had the same issue on my car. Didn't find anything that night and took the motorcycle to work the next day. The next time I ran the car, the noise was gone. If you find out what it is, please post!

Old 04-04-2010, 07:49 AM

A family friend who's been a mechanic all his life checked it out yesterday and it's the bearings in the compressor clutch that are the problem - basically I need a new compressor which I think will cost a few hundred pounds. I've only had the car a few days though so it should be covered by the warranty as it's a mechanical fault (and it should be covered by the sales of goods act anyway - i.e. the goods should be fit for purpose) - I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the car dealership do the decent thing.

Old 04-10-2010, 09:54 PM

Sounds expensive! I'm gonna try some WD-40 on the clutch mechanism before tearing it out.