Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

HU-801 won't play CDs :-(

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 05:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HU-801 won't play CDs :-(

Hi everyone

As a new owner of a 2003 S80 D5 I do not have too much knowledge on the audiosystem (yet).

I got the car las week and have experienced, that the HU-801 will not play any inserted CDs. All the mechanical parts seem to work as I can insert and eject 4 CDs, but the display just shows CD ERROR. I have read of others that won't reject the CDs once they are inserted. Mine just doesen't play them.
Does anyone of you have a clou what could be wrong? Dirty laserlens maybe? How do I clean that?

As this is my first car that 'new' all the can-bus things are pretty new to me. What would be the right procedure if I want to remove the radio?

Tanks - and greetings from Denmark/Europe!

Jakob :-)

Old 04-27-2011, 12:14 AM

First make sure you disconnect the battery before taking anything apart. Do not reconnect it until everything is back together. I did not do this and it set an error code for the SRS system when I unplugged the radio.

I took my radio apart because the CD would not eject or play. I was not able to fix it. You may get lucky and might be able to clean the laser and the lens.

You have to take the climate control panel off before you can get the radio out. If you look on line you will find directions how to do this.

Good luck.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:20 AM

Thanks for the answer

Today suddenly I managed to play one CD - for a short while! So the radio is not completely dead...
Yesterday I tried with four fine original unscrached ones (in my attempt to please the player as much as possible) with no success, today my friend took a homemade (burned) one with several scratches on it - and it worked I don't get it...

Anyway, this leads me to the conclusion that it could be the lens being dirty.

Thanks to dcm0123 I now know how to get the radio out of the car, but will that make me able to access the lens to clean it?

As an alternative I of course could make a copy all my CDs, scratch them a little, and the problem would be solved...

Old 04-28-2011, 07:37 PM

Sorry, I took mine apart about a year ago so I do not remember how complex it was to access the lens.

Try blowing an air gun through the CD slot before you take the radio out.

Try contacting someone who repairs CD players and see if it is possible to buy something to clean the lens with without disassembling the unit.

If you can see the lens through the slot, buy industrial Q-tips which are about 6 inches long to clean it.

If no luck, then take it out and disassemble it. Good possibility you are right and it is a dirty lens.

There is an outside chance the player is not compatible with new generation CD discs. I know some of the CD writers need to have thier software updated to work with newer CD's.

Old 10-14-2012, 08:12 AM

What to do if you can't load CD's into an empty HU801 ?