Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Immobilizer-Car doesn't start

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 03:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Immobilizer-Car doesn't start

Have a 2001 S80 T6 that was sitting in my driveway for about 3 months, went back to it, and battery was dead... Trickle charged the battery, and now the car doesn't start. When I turn the key past position 2 I get nothing, no click from starter, just so electronic noises... Every so often I get a message of "immobilizer, see manual". Ive done some research, and what I see is that first I replace the antenna in the ignition, then if thats no go I need to replace the immobilizer unit. How would I tell if the antenna was bad, does it have to do with the green lights around the cylinder lock? Or maybe Im completely looking in the wrong area. I am willing to try anything without towing it to the dealer, as the neareast one is over 20 miles, so it would be quite a towing cost, plus what ever they rip me off.

The only thing I've tried in respect to the immobilizer is cycling the lock in the drivers door, but with no luck, could someone confirm this method, or know of any other method to reset the system, such as pulling a fuse.

Thanks in advacne

Old 01-12-2007, 10:46 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Immobilizer-Car doesn't start

Do you have another key to try?

Old 01-12-2007, 11:32 PM

Unfortunately not, so yes, it could infact be a bad key I suppose. Any way of testing, or knowing the antenna ring is bad before I get one from the dealer?

Old 01-13-2007, 12:39 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Not really yes it is the light that is the antenna.
If it was at the Dealer they could tell if the key was programmed to the car.(Unfortunally)
Try turning the key the opposite way and reinstall in the ignition and see if it works.

Old 01-13-2007, 12:50 AM

The light is green until you turn the key to the third position (trying to start it) After the car fails to start the light goes off... Does this always happend, or does it indicate a problem with the antenna? I have tried reversing the key, waiting, pulling ECU fuses. So having a immobilizer issue makes the car not turn over at all, correct?

Thanks for your help

The following users liked this post:
Debj60 (09-24-2020)
Old 01-19-2007, 06:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I'm not sure if this will fix your problem, but I came across this "immobilizer" when I tried to get rid of the service light. For some reason, when I tried the wrong combination, it give me the immobilizer msg. Freaked me out for a minute. But all that went away when I follow the correct combination. As followed. Remember to report back as many of us can use it.

Service light: This works for me. 2000 S80 2.9L non-turbo

1. Put the key in the first ignition position
2. Press & hold the odometer buttom
3. Move the key to the second position position (all the lights should come on)
4. The service light should start blinking within 10 seconds.
5. Release the buttom then turn off ignition key.

Old 01-19-2007, 06:44 PM

Thanks for the idea, I need to try doing that myself, as I also have the service light.
Honestly, I'm not too certain how I fixed it, bought a new antenna ring, installed, no luck, then I opened hood, and was hearing the starter relay, thus making me thing it was getting power, so I went and pulled all related fuses, and relays, switching the ignition with the starter relay, etc... No luck, so then I stuck my hand down by the starter pulled the cable, jiggled them(with no play), and attempted to start it, I finnaly got life, well just the starter clicking, indicating low voltage. Got my battery pack out, jumped it, and it fired up.
Thanks for all the suggestions

Old 01-12-2011, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Bboble
Thanks for the idea, I need to try doing that myself, as I also have the service light.
Honestly, I'm not too certain how I fixed it, bought a new antenna ring, installed, no luck, then I opened hood, and was hearing the starter relay, thus making me thing it was getting power, so I went and pulled all related fuses, and relays, switching the ignition with the starter relay, etc... No luck, so then I stuck my hand down by the starter pulled the cable, jiggled them(with no play), and attempted to start it, I finnaly got life, well just the starter clicking, indicating low voltage. Got my battery pack out, jumped it, and it fired up.
Thanks for all the suggestions
I had the same problem with a 04 volvo v70 xc I was working on. Tried everything, even had it scheduled with volvo to fix it, after no luck after replacing antenna ring and trying additional keys. Found the problem on my own. It was actually a loose battery cable running to the starter. I had read this last post and just figured I would try it after no luck with anything else. Couldn't believe it...that's all it was. So check your starter connection before dumping a lot of money to Volvo. By the way, for antenna ring replacement...it's very easy and only requires a torque screw driver. It basically unplugs and pops right out. But try your connections first....for some reason it showed Immobilizer system code even though it was the cable loose.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:06 AM

does anyone know where the antenna ring is located on the 2005 v50? I'm getting the "immobilazer" message and car won't start.

thanks!

Old 06-19-2013, 04:49 PM
Default 2001 V70 T5 Cranks, but wont fire/start.

I have tried all of these tricks, unfortunately with no luck. Does anyone have any other ideas? The starter seems fine...like I said, it will attempt to crank and do it all day long but the engine just won't fire up. I had the immobilizer message like most of you, but when we bought the car, they only had one key for it. Also, I park in a parking garage and I got a little too close and when I put it in park, it rolled a little and bumped the wall of the garage. Someone said that sometimes this can disengage the fuel pump or immobilizer. Does anyone know where the immobilizer is? Or how to re-engage the fuel pump? I'm really at a loss of what to do and don't have the money to have it towed 60 miles to a Volvo dealer. Any help would be much appreciated.

Cody

Old 06-21-2013, 08:07 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If starter works that means the key is ok and approved.
Engine cannot start means:
1. No fuel means pump does not work. Fuel pump can be disabled in a case of serious crash. (Can be reenabled using dealers computer)
2. ECU does not work.
3. ECU works but lost synchronization with immobilizer.
the third one explains the message about immo.

Old 09-20-2013, 02:44 AM
Smile

Finally got it started a while back. The dealer I bought it from suggested starting it in neutral...and bam! It fired right up! Don't understand it, though. Could doing that have re-set something?

Old 10-15-2013, 08:21 PM
Default FIX No Crank No Start IMMOBILIZER SEE MANUAL Volvo S40 Low Brake Fluid Stop Safely fa

Hi,

take a look a this video. May be the solution at your problem.

Let me know!

Old 07-04-2018, 01:47 PM
Default 06 S40 Standard Shift Steering Locked Immobilizer Set

Since this appears to be common problem, maybe someone has come up with some answers over all this time.

My 06 standard shift just suddenly died, tried to start, checked fuel pressure at rail OK, battery was OK at 12.4VDC, all lights come on as usual, all functions work, windows, radio, remote locks, had second key, no crank, the steering needs service message came up, along with immobilizer, so with steering locked, key is not releasing it, checked voltage at starter module steering lock, have 12VDC, but it immediately drops to 9.1VDC when you turn ignition to start? Pulled CEM and cleaned all connections with electronic spray, it was dry, no water indications, replaced battery in remotes, tried the five lock unlock trick, put battery cables together overnight, tried the ignition key in position one while depressing odo reset. Replaced battery even though original was fine. Jumped starter relay 87 to 30 and starter cranks, but no start, cannot get steering lock to release even hitting it with hammer and turning wheel, so it is not the typical turned wheel shut off issue where try to start again message comes up. I am stumped, and since I am 100 miles from dealer, towing will cost more than car is worth, never mind if it is steering lock module. Where is clutch interlock switch? Any ideas of what I have missed.

Thanks

Old 03-28-2019, 07:46 PM
Default Our 2006 S40 had the same immobilizer error

My wife and I have a 2006 S40 2.4l. Wife takes the car to that store, turns it off, and goes shopping. When she goes to leave, it won't crank and gave her the error message Immobilizer see manual. She tried many of the suggestions listed and nothing. During all that the battery died. It wouldn't take a charge or anything.

We put a new battery in it today and old Betty cranked right up!

Volvo in Tallahassee told us a bad battery can cause the computer to send that error message. As with many other sensors on a vehicle.

I hope this helps!
Good luck

Have a 2001 S80 T6 that was sitting in my driveway for about 3 months, went back to it, and battery was dead... Trickle charged the battery, and now the car doesn't start. When I turn the key past position 2 I get nothing, no click from starter, just so electronic noises... Every so often I get a message of "immobilizer, see manual". Ive done some research, and what I see is that first I replace the antenna in the ignition, then if thats no go I need to replace the immobilizer unit. How would I tell if the antenna was bad, does it have to do with the green lights around the cylinder lock? Or maybe Im completely looking in the wrong area. I am willing to try anything without towing it to the dealer, as the neareast one is over 20 miles, so it would be quite a towing cost, plus what ever they rip me off.

The only thing I've tried in respect to the immobilizer is cycling the lock in the drivers door, but with no luck, could someone confirm this method, or know of any other method to reset the system, such as pulling a fuse.

Thanks in advacne

Old 04-02-2019, 06:54 AM

Anyone who is having problems starting their Volvo this troulbeshooting guide should help.

https://www.youcanic.com/guide/volvo...zer-see-manual

Old 02-07-2023, 02:55 PM

The light is green until you turn the key to the third position (trying to start it) After the car fails to start the light goes off... Does this always happend, or does it indicate a problem with the antenna? I have tried reversing the key, waiting, pulling ECU fuses. So having a immobilizer issue makes the car not turn over at all, correct?

Thanks for your help
Does the lights on the shifter go out