Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Instrument Cluster Lights

Old 01-08-2009, 09:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Instrument Cluster Lights

How easy is it to replace Instrument lighting in a 1999 S80 2.9? I have some lights out on my side of the climate control, and I think the defrost and rear defrost lights are out. I also think that the bottom row of my warning lights are out. How may lights should be in the warning section? One more thing... Is there suppose to be lighting on the buttons on the steering wheel, and if there is, how do I change those bulbs / leds?

Thanks!

Old 01-08-2009, 09:17 PM
Default RE: Instrument Cluster Lights

Good Q's. Let us know what you find out. I'm looking to change some of the color from green to blue on my instrument/radio/climate panels.

Old 01-08-2009, 10:54 PM

Yeah that's a good point, I forgot to ask that. Plus I might as well since I will be in there. I always wanted to have a red instrument panel. I had a dark amber cluster in my Grand Prix but I think red would be cool.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:30 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

The speedo cluster isn't that bad at all. There should be 2 screws holding the bezel into the dash. The screws go straight up and is under the little covers.

Then there is 4 screws holding the cluster in and thats all.

Old 01-09-2009, 11:18 AM

This is a little more than just the panel question, but you're probably driving for the radio or lights so I'll post the whole thing here

IMPORTANT - Disconnect the negative terminal of the battery if you are going to unhook any of the wires or harnesses to the climate control sytems.

If you don't, you will get an URGENT WARNING - SRS AIRBAG when you hook it up again and start. Only fix for this is to go to the dealer and could cost $200 for them to diagnose (believe) that it was just what you did

Try this - It shows some good pictures to get you through it.

http://www.carstereohelp.com/stereoremovalVolvoS80.htm

You have to put the car in Drive to wiggle the first panel out of the way.

Removing the climate control module is tough at first. Really have to swing the bottom out and then "pop" the top out. There are "C" clips on the radio that hold it in. It took me 3 times to muster the courage to really pull it out

The lights are on the back of the climate control module (that's why its easier to pull the harnesses off) and run about $15/light. I just ordered 1 and you can tell. Get them all and be done with it is my advice. This is a good site for them http://www.eeuroparts.com/Main/Home.aspx

Old 01-09-2009, 06:11 PM

Do you know of what type of bulbs are for the clusters? I've been trying to find out the type for my car, I have nothing...

Old 01-09-2009, 06:14 PM
Administrator

I forget the number of the bulb and it also depends on the year. But there is the mini bulbs that look like the 194 bulbs.(Tag light)

The early cars the bulbs were part of the socket. The newer ones the bulbs just pull out of the sockets.

I want to do my car to but it is way to expensive for me right now.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:58 PM

Thanks tech!

Old 01-09-2009, 08:03 PM
Administrator

Your welcome.

Old 01-10-2009, 04:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just replaced mine in a 01 S80 Non Turbo...was very easy to do..HOWEVER, DISCONNECT the negative side of the battery first before starting work.

Also, EEUROPARTS has color pics of the bulbs..some have Gray bases, Black Bases, and I think White bases. So, you need to know exactly which ones to replace.

They are Extremely Proud of these Little Jewels..about 12 bucks for EACH bulb.

GOOD LUCK and HAPPY MOTORING

Old 01-11-2009, 10:59 AM

I also have lights out in my climate control module for my 2000 volvo s80. I was able to get the module out after reading the responses above. Thanks for warning me to disconnect my negative battery terminal first; I would have never known to do that first. Now how do I get to the bulbs? Do I remove the front cover ontheclimate control module which clips on or do I remove the screws at the rear of the climate control module? "duwash1" talks about pulling the harness off. I'm not sure what harness he/she is talking about. Thanks in advance.

Old 01-11-2009, 03:13 PM

Thanks everyone for your responses. My Internet is kind of sparse right now but I appreciate all the help! I too would like to know the answer to elguzzy's question.

Thanks again!

Old 01-11-2009, 04:06 PM

I figured it out. On the back of the climate control module, there are recessed holes where the lights are located. I put a small screw driver in the slot on the back of the light, turned it counterclockwise, turned the climate control module upside down, and the light fell out.

Related to the above, even though I disconnected the battery, I never had to disconnect the wires (harness) connected to the back of the climate control module to get to the light (bulb) that was burned out. When looking at the front of the climate control module, I noticed there was a lot of debris(fuzz)contained in the pocket in the front of the module where the small slots are located. I pulled the debris out with an ice pick. I discovered that there are small wires contained in this pocket. I believe these wires monitor the temperature for the climate control module. Following putting everything back together, including reconnecting the negative battery terminal, I started the car and nothing works on the climate control module, including the fan, heated seats, and all of the controls across the bottom the the module (e.g., automatic headrest recliner). Anyone have any idea what I did wrong? Thanks in advance.

Old 02-20-2009, 01:31 AM
Default should i get the 194 bulbs

Just checking, I want to change the ugly green light in the s80 to a red. Should I get the 194 bulb. Do I need to purchase the bulbs with the base, or can I just change the bulb. Thanks.

http://www.streetbeatcustoms.com/tailcorandot.html - Here is a link I was thinking about buying from.

I don't see the the bulb in europarts website.

Old 06-20-2009, 10:35 AM

i have a 99 volvo s70 and was just wondering if anyone knew the bulb size and how many for the instrument cluster bulbs