Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Its there a painless (cheap) way to remove Brake Failure Message

Old 04-19-2011, 12:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Its there a painless (cheap) way to remove Brake Failure Message

2001 S80 2.9. I have had the STC and ABS messages on for a while, but now I am intermittently getting a "Brake Failure Stop Safely ASAP" message.

While this message is up the odometer does not work! Which means you probably wont really know the true mileage on any S80 models. I always thought the odometer was 'sacred' and would always function...what a design flaw from Volvo!

Anyways, stopping my venting... its there any 'easy' i.e. cheap way of getting rid of these pesky lights and messages? I have taken it to a very good Volvo mechanic who tells me there is nothing he can do that it needs to go to the dealer, and the Volvo dealer will charge me $100 to diagnose it. Brake pads, brake rotors etc are new and the car brakes ok.

Help!

Old 04-19-2011, 04:27 PM

I don't know, but an error message like that would make me take it to get it fixed, and that often means a dealer trip with the complexity of the Volvo systems.

That said, it sounds like it could be your ABS module that has failed or is failing.

Old 04-19-2011, 06:52 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ya m sure u can remove it like removing a message that says for maintenance service. But you should get the brakes inspected dude..dont wanna drive with that message. its safety concern for you and other drivers on road

Old 04-21-2011, 12:35 PM

Since you mentioned the Odometer, I wonder if its a wheel sensor? Check all the sensors on the wheels are clean, ensure the cables are in good condition and the connections are good. After that I think you might just have to take it to volvo and find out what (Volvo) codes its throwing.

Old 04-21-2011, 03:00 PM

When my ABS module was failing I had the same thing- it ultimately got to the point where all the lights were on. Based on what I read at the time, the car's network gets flooded with error messages and reports all kinds of strange things. You will also likely notice that the cruise control will not work with these errors.

I would not swear to it but I think the odometer keeps working but you don't see the actual miles until the module is working properly again.

As far as safety, the things I read prior to replacing my module indicated that the brakes will still work fine but ABS/STC will not be working and that the module can be removed from the car and driven but all your lights will be reporting errors, etc... I avoided taking it off until I had the reman replacement just because I didn't want to take the airbox stuff out to remove it, and then a 2nd time to put the replacement back in.

Old 04-23-2011, 11:54 PM

All problems you mention are typical when the ABS control module goes which is a very common problem on these cars. Including express shipping to send it for rebuild it will cost you about $180.

Here you can find a good set of directions for removal from 99-01 year model and you can buy the tool you need from him as well.

Did a good job on mine. He rebuilt it and sent it back within a day or two after he received it.

http://home.earthlink.net/~vicrocha/