Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Low oil pressure message : HELP

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2005, 11:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low oil pressure message : HELP

Hello,
I've got a low oil pressure message in my S80 Volvo. I took it to the shop and they tried a lot of things, until they realized that the oil pan o-rings were bad. They replaced them and the pressure now is fine. The problem is that the light with the message still comes out. They also replaced the oil pump. Please, help. They say that they have done everything that they could do.

Old 03-19-2005, 01:40 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Low oil pressure message : HELP

What is the numbers for the oil pressure?Is the switch good?

Old 03-19-2005, 02:35 AM

I believe it is 648 or 680 when iddle. In the shop they say that it meets the specs. I'm not sure what the switch is. Should I aske them of Mon?

Old 03-19-2005, 12:02 PM
Administrator

oil pressure specs for the car are at idle (840 rpm)min pressure 0.1(mpa) or 14.5 (psi) max pressure(4062 rpm)0.35(mpa) or 50.8(psi) total max oil pressure 0.9(mpa) or 130(psi).

Im not sure which type of readings they took which scale those are the Volvo specs above.You might have either to high of oil pressure or a bad sensor.

Old 03-19-2005, 01:25 PM

Thank you. I'll talk to the shop on Monday.

Old 03-19-2005, 01:31 PM
Administrator

Let me know how it goes.

Old 03-21-2005, 06:17 PM

Summary of the 'events' according to the shop:

-When I took the car to the shop I had a message: 'no oil pump pressure'
-Shop made a tune up, changing filter, cleaning things, etc : still no pressure
-Shop changed the oil pump, though it seemed OK: still no pressure. They say that it could only be the engine
-I freak out and I look myself in the web. I tell the shop that I have read in the web about oil pan o-rings that they could go bad. They change them: pressure 14.5 pounds but the light still comes out
-They read today the pressure with a different gauge: presure reading is 10 pounds

What's you opinion?

Old 03-21-2005, 06:30 PM
Administrator

They need to drop the pan again and look inside.Make sure they changed the oil pick up tube o-ring,the oil cooler pipe o-ring.there is 5 o-rings total that should have been replaced.Make sure they replaced all 5.They still need to check them.I have seen guys take it apart 5 times till they got it right.

Old 03-27-2005, 12:57 AM

Yes, your were right: they told me that they missed one o-ring. Right after they replaced it the light went off. I picked it up last thursday.
I hear a very smooth noise that the car didn't have before. It is like a filter... noise, and it comes up when I accelerate. I don't know, maybe is because they made a tune up, who knows. I'm going to wait for a week, maybe it goes away.

Thanks a lot for your help!

--Nuria.

Old 03-28-2005, 10:32 PM

The light didn't come out any more. Looks like they sealed everything well.
Now, the car has come back from the shop with:
--a smooth noise that intensifies when I acelerate
--the steering wheel when I turn it also produces a noise, like something is too tight, ... no clue
Any suggestion?

Old 03-29-2005, 12:29 AM
Administrator

If they dropped the subframe look inside the car where the steering shaft goes through the floor.There is a bearing that sits in the rubber boot.Sometimes the bearing falls out when they drop the rack.That will transfer engine noise into the car.

Old 04-02-2005, 01:36 PM

Hello,
I took on Thursday the car to the shop for the two noises.
The next day, Fri, the shop calls me and says:
About the rubbing noise when the steering wheel is turned: the steering noise was from the steering shaft to cover boot mating point. Lube this and noise was gone. they found no point where the steering shaft was rubbing on anything else.

About the hissing noise that is always preasent but can be heard mostly when the car is moving foward: they say that the noise could be heard when just revving up the engine and althogh it sounded like it was under the dash, when they were under the dash the noise was from the engine area. They check engine compartment for possible air noise sources that may not be normal. Found air intake tbe not in its proper place. Found P/S hose at front cross member not properly clamped to frame. Found missing bolt and clip for plastic mount on pass. Side and fond loose uper engine mont bolt. Even after all these items were corrected the noise can still be heard. Most or all probably had no connection to noise. No other hoses or pipe were found to be ot of place and no unusal noise were fond in engine compartment or under the dash.

After this they call me and say that they can not do anything else, they have checked everything and everything looks fine.

I know that it is something that they have done when they were working in the car for the 'o-ring' issue.

I get fed up at this point and I fax them the suggestion that you gave me. One hour later they call me to say that yes, that was the problem. The steering shaft boot beeraing comming out of place when subframe is removed allowing engine compartment noise to enter the car. check found the bearing was out of place and when installed properly the noise was gone. This is what they wrote in the report.

Thanks a lot, twice you fixed the car!

This morning I used the car and I see that the car is badly leaking oil, from the bottom, middle. I checked the oil level and is very low. I'm furious! My husband tood the car to a regular car shop, not Volvo specialized and during the driving he calls me from the cellular phone saying that he can no turn even the steering wheel. And he made it to the shop but with a lot of smoke from the car!!!
This is being a nightmare. So frustrated. I just want the car fixed and forget. And if you think about it the only problem were the o-rings!

What do you think is happening now?

Old 04-02-2005, 11:15 PM
Administrator

There might have been a slight hole or wear mark in one of the steering lines from it being loose.Or it may have come loose at the rack.One of the steering hoses go from the front of the engine to the rear across the oil pan.If it was hard to steer I will bet there is a hole in a line or a loose fitting at the steering rack.I will also bet the fluid level is empty.

Old 04-14-2005, 02:11 AM

Yes! That was exactly the problem: the report says:
'Check for power steering leak, found steering house fitting to rack n pinion is loose. Tihgtenend fitting and recheck. Tightend steering hose to rack n pinion"
I have driven the car now for more than a week since the 'last event' and everything looks fine. Let's see.
Thank you very much for your help. You just fixed the car for the third time!
--Nuria.

Old 04-14-2005, 10:44 AM
Administrator

Your welcome thats what I here for to try and help.