Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Many problems with My Volvo

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 12:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Many problems with My Volvo

Hello, I am new to this forum and wish I knew it existed before purchasing my 200 Volvo S80 2.9. First of all I bought the car used and the merchant did not supply me with a master key. I kept getting an immobilizer message. Sometimes I would try to start the car and the lights would go on but the engine would make no noise. Other times it would start no problem. One time it shut off while I was driving and wouldnt start and I was stuck in the middle of the road. Then my hheated seat module blew and I thought it was the fuse so I replaced it, but it was the module which cost me a couple of hundred dollars to fix. I think this is an electrical problem. If I get the master key made will I continue to have the immobilizer problem? I recently recieved a recall notice for the fan which states that overheating could damage electrical components that are in the vicinity of the cooling fan, and its module. Are these symptoms in any way related? Does it need to be reprogrammed also?

Old 04-13-2005, 05:31 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Many problems with My Volvo

The fan recall does not have anything to do with your other problem.
I would try to get a master key.The immoblizer antenna which is the light around the ignition switch may be bad.
Next time it won't start take the key out and turn around and try again.Sometimes when the antenna and key get weak it will only work when it is turned one way.
The new key will need to be programmed.

Old 04-13-2005, 06:21 PM

Well the Volvo dealer that I took the car to is saying that they can not specifically tell which the problem is. So am I going to be stuck paying for all these different parts? If I get a new key will I also have to have the sensor in the ignition replaced? Could it be just the sensor and not the key? I have tried the reverse key trick, didnt work but thank you for your reply Basically I want to know if there is any way I can prevent the dealership from raking me through the coals? What would you do in this situation?

Old 04-13-2005, 07:40 PM
Administrator

You can buy the antenna and replace it your self.It will take you about 10-15 minutes to replace.
Most of the time under warranty we would replace the antenna first then if they returned it would be keys next.

Old 04-13-2005, 09:04 PM

You make it sound so easy! Can you explain to me how to replace it or direct me to someone or somewhere that could? I am going to go pick up the part now. Is there anything special I should know before buying it? Thank you so much. You have no idea how relieved I am to atleast have some sort of plan that is not unguided, and thats not going to cost me close to $1000, which is what I was originally told. Thank you again!

Old 04-13-2005, 09:20 PM
Administrator

First off you need to remove the cover around the steering column.There is either 2 or 3 torxes 25 screws on the bottom of the cover remove them.Then the top section just lifts off.Then pull down on the lower cover you will have to pull out on the side by the lock cylinder to drop it down all the way.Then pull the light assy off the lock cylinder.It just clips on.Unplug and replace it.
There shouldn't be anything while buying it.

If you need anymore help let me know.

Old 04-13-2005, 11:53 PM

Tech and JBanana,

The valet, or service key, shouldn't give you an immobilizer message, unless there is a confusion of signals between the car and key. The point of the valet key is to unlock the car, and start the car. The master key can utilize the lock cylinder (Thanks tech, new word!) and the glove compartment. You may just need a new key in general so that there is no confusion. (Simply my opinion)

Old 04-14-2005, 12:15 AM
Administrator

That is true.That would mean either the key,immoblizer antenna, or the immoblizer is faulty.

Old 04-14-2005, 12:56 AM

OK bought the immobilizer antenna and still didnt start. It still needed that part because it was not lighting up so it must have gone too. Now if I get a new key and that doesn't work, then it is the immobilizer itself? Is there n actual "immobilizer"? Is it expensive and lengthy to fix? The code that is on the diagnostic is CEM6C49 or CEM6049. The latter is what was actually on the paper, bu the tech at the other Volvo place said it was wrong that there was no such code but that ther was one with a C instead of 0. Do you know anything about this code? Again thank you so much for your help. It was very easy putting the antenna in. Thanks!

Old 04-14-2005, 10:22 AM
Administrator

Im trying to work on info about the codes.
If you get a new key it needs to be programmed.
If you have to order the Immoblizer it will take like a week to get it.They send 3 keys cut to the car and the immoblizer.Then it has to be installed and programmed.