Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

New s80 Owner here, help needed please :)

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 11:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New s80 Owner here, help needed please :)

Hi all, great site here, newbie and love the forums. I just put a deposit on a 2009 S80 3.2. It is offered at $13,000 It is one owner, bought and serviced by the local dealer, has a clean car fax and all the service records. It's just about perfect on the outside and mechanically and has 41000 miles. The only thing I'm not crazy about is that the leather seats are pretty cracked ( not ripped just alligator looking), especially for that year. Any tips on what to do with them ? Any things in the car I should be aware of ? Any tips or anything about the car would be greatly appreciate. Thanks in advance for all who offer advice.

Larry

Old 05-10-2016, 12:12 PM

Look at the repair history, Watch for anything that's been replaced several times over like the alarm siren etc.
The alarm sirens notoriously go on the Volvo's unless they fixed the design for your year.
Your looking at $350 for the part + labour each time it happens.

Other than that they aren't to bad, a few have battery drain issues. That usually leads to replacement of the alternator, the alarm siren or the battery positive cables.

The alarm siren, when it goes causes drain. You can pull the fuse and just not use it if you wish and save the part + labour cost and your battery wont keep dying.

And for reference new alternator on a 2001 Chevrolet Cavalier $175, new alternator on a 1999 Volvo S80 T6 $380.
Cavalier brakes front $60, Volvo brakes front $350.

Other than that there isn't a whole lot I don't think, if anything. (MAKE SURE THE TIMING BELTS BEEN DONE WHEN NEEDED).

The reason to check the repair history for repetitive things is to look and see if its a lemon or not.
Like my grandpas 2002 GMC Jimmy which had its Oil lines replaced atleast 6 times now at $800 a pop. I would think all the Jimmy's suffer from this issue, since its not always the same garage used so its not the mechanics. If you see something being replaced like that over and over seriously consider that your also going to be doing that over and over. (prime example is Volvos notorious alarm siren).

Last edited by DonVanhugenstein; 05-10-2016 at 12:16 PM.
Old 05-13-2016, 01:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are handy, then you can do the work yourself. I buy GenuineVolvo parts from FCP Euro as they are cheap and "guaranteed for life". I watch their videos on youtube all the time.

Old 05-13-2016, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by rcgray
If you are handy, then you can do the work yourself. I buy GenuineVolvo parts from FCP Euro as they are cheap and "guaranteed for life". I watch their videos on youtube all the time.
I'll check it out thanks.
For me my alternator went. $175 for a used one, $225 for a rebuilt and $380 for a new one from the same place that has used ones. I didn't even bother calling volvo cause they're probably over $380.

I'm going with rebuilt anyways. But yeah if your handy you could rebuild your own and pay even less.

Old 05-15-2016, 12:43 AM

I'm not sure what part of the country you are in, but if the seats are cracking like that, I assume you have a lot of sun and the car has been sitting outside. You can try rubbing some Meguiar's leather treatment on them, but it's not going to fix the problem. Make sure you don't put a seat cover on them though - they have airbags in the side and covers will make them malfunction in the event of an accident.

I have a 2010 S80 T6, which is a fun/safe car to drive, but the only reason I have it is - it's a "hand me down" from my wife. If I was going to throw $13k down to buy a car, I would never choose a Volvo. They are safe, yes. But holy smokes! They are expensive to get parts and service for. Mine has a bumper to bumper warranty until September, then I don't know what to do other than pray. On top of that, I haven't found a good web forum for repairing your Volvo...they aren't really enthusiast cars. If you do buy it, I hope everything works out. Just make sure you have a decent savings account for parts - in case anything happens. Trying to be honest. I've had a few different vehicles and would highly recommend a Toyota. But, it's your decision. Volvos are cool...but can be expensive. That's all.

Old 05-15-2016, 12:46 AM

To me, there really is nothing a Volvo provides that makes it worth the trouble of expensive parts and poor reliability. Unless you have unlimited funds and want to be in one of the safest cars on the road. Real talk.

Old 05-15-2016, 11:42 AM

Oh I'd take Toyota over anything anyday if I wanted reliability.
I got my 1999 S80 T6 for $800, had battery dieing issue. Had coolant leak and front windows were off the track.
So far I found the alt is the battery drain issue, $225 canadian for a rebuilt.
-Radiator I can maybe fix for like $5 for a seal.
-Oil dipstick and tube $110 old one broke but was redesigned so new it was.
-Needs tires and brakes, volvo wants like $800 for brake pads!....

Basically what started out as "a cheap car that I'll fix and keep" has become "fix and sell this damn thing asap"

Old 05-17-2016, 08:29 PM

Thanks all, I bought the car and it seems tight as a drum. All services done by the dealer and no out of the norm repairs. looks like I can get close to 100k out of it with little maintenance if I drive her easy. Will keep ya posted.