Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

S80 oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 10:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S80 oil leak

I was hoping someone might know what this oil leak is- since the dealer said it is quite common! They claim it is a "drain tube plug" missing in the block and want about $350.00 to make the repair.

I wonder if it might be a plug that blocks off the port where the turbo oil line returns to the block? They claim it requires removal of a manifold- I cant recall if they said the exhaust of intake.

In addition, although I can smell burning oil after a long hot run, I don't see any oil dripping from the car- no spot on the ground.

Anyone with a similar experience?

Old 04-07-2011, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by lonestar245
I was hoping someone might know what this oil leak is- since the dealer said it is quite common! They claim it is a "drain tube plug" missing in the block and want about $350.00 to make the repair.

I wonder if it might be a plug that blocks off the port where the turbo oil line returns to the block? They claim it requires removal of a manifold- I cant recall if they said the exhaust of intake.

In addition, although I can smell burning oil after a long hot run, I don't see any oil dripping from the car- no spot on the ground.

Anyone with a similar experience?
Sounds right. looks like you need the PVC service. There is a plasitc box under and to the left of the throttle body. When the hose he mentions clogs it leaks oil. If its clogged you should get smoke coming out of the the dip stick tube. When its good and warm pull out the dip stick see if it smokes.

If it is the PVC service its something you should have done. Get them to clean the throttle body while in there.

My mechanic was a bit more reasonable. He said I may need the manifold off but would start with the PVC box first, sometmes its just the hoses in there that clog or go bad. I paid about $150. I did not need to remove the manifold.

Jim

Old 04-10-2011, 07:49 AM

Thank you for the courtesy of a reply. This seems reasonable, as I can imagine this may have not been done before. I will have my mechanic check into it.

Over the last few days we have experienced battery trouble. I am thinking the car had its original battery- which was marked "Volvo... Made in Germany". We drove it to a shop and had it tested. The flunkie said "it has a current drain". Really? With the trunk open and the trunk lights ON... it has a current drain? So ~embarrassed~ he closed the trunk and ran the test again and mumbled "its charged". I asked "So... its OK?" "Yeah" he said. My son gets in and its dead. LOL! I purchased a new battery, and the wrenches to put it in (they were too backed up) and everything seemed fine- starter spun the motor a bit quicker than usual. The proof will be when my son gets in it today and it starts again- or not.

Attached Thumbnails S80 oil leak-dscn0439.jpg  
Old 04-15-2011, 08:48 PM

Theres two common oil leak troublespots. First one is underneath the inlet manfiold. This is the PCV breather box, the seal for this was updated at a later stage to a better one. Commonly this box gets clogged with crud.
The other area is the turbo oil drain pipes at the exhaust side of the motor. These DO NOT require a manifold to be removed, although that is commonly (and mistakenly) thought.

Old 04-16-2011, 07:58 PM

Just to be sure, mine is a NON-turbo 2.9. I was told on the phone by a Volvo mechanic that the plug for the turbo oil cooler return line is common to pop out. Volvo quoted $350, this independent shop quoted $280.00- including the $7.00 part.

It would seem if the manifold does not need to be removed, it would be far cheaper to get this fixed, or possibly I could do it myself. I have the skill, just not the experience on Volvos, nor do I have a lot of free time.

So, if anyone knows of a thread where this repair is addressed, please point the way, because I cant seem to find it.

As for the PVC "box"- is that a non-turbo issue as well?

Old 04-17-2011, 08:19 AM

Ah, I thought you said it was a turbo somewhere. I need to lay off the sauce!
Anyway, for sure it should be a DIY job. jack the car up, take A look and judge for yourself. I
don't think there's a guide. Like a lot of things on this car it's not difficult as such, just friggin awkard.

I believe the 2.9 uses the same PCV box arrangement, which you should checkout as that might be the root cause of the plug popping out.

Old 08-29-2014, 10:08 AM

It's been a while since I have been able to look into this. Son took the car off to school for the year. Then a busy summer. Now I'm more interested in tackling the job as the weather is beginning to cool. I had it to an oil change place and went down in the pit to take a look. The pit is kind of short, and I'm tall, so it was not conducive for me to stay under for long. I could see what looked like the flame trap (?) mounted to the lower rear of the block. Oil hoses going in and out of that- and everything being blazing hot- pretty much kept me from feeling around for it.

I'm wondering if it could be accessed by either removing the heat shield on the exhaust and going from the top, or going in from passenger wheel well, maybe removing the driveshaft?

I'm not one to lie on my back and turn wrenches anymore, at my age, it makes my head feel like I'm about to blow a seal myself. Me and my mechanic had a falling out over how he treated a friend I referred. My new mechanic doesn't do Volvos.

BTW I purchased both a "freeze plug" and an expanding rubber plug, just in case I could not get the freeze plug in.

Old 08-29-2014, 12:24 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

It can be done without removing anything.

The PCV is under the intake, not on the back of the engine. What you saw is probably the oil cooler.

Old 09-03-2014, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by ES6T
It can be done without removing anything.

The PCV is under the intake, not on the back of the engine. What you saw is probably the oil cooler.
Ok, it was a box mounted to the rear passenger side if the block. Appeared to have one hose going in, one out. Maybe this is for the oil cooler.

Is this also where the turbo oil return line plug is located, or is it higher up on the block, above this assy?

Old 09-04-2014, 05:20 AM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

It's higher up