Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

s80 want start

Old 05-01-2016, 05:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post s80 want start

hi i have a 2.4 s80 it had burst radiator so replaced it and now car will not start will turn over but will not fire up can any one help

Old 05-03-2016, 12:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Replacing a radiator doesn't make a vehicle not start, However how violent was it when the rad blew?
I assume the car was at operating temp and the coolant was blowing out everywere?

The hot coolant and steam may have done some damage to parts of the vehicle. The heat and liquid could damage plastics and rubber etc.

If a sensor broke, Intake pipe cracked or vacuum line was damaged it could cause the no start. You considered the obvious and made sure the battery has enough charge right?
Look around the area between your rad and engine, at all the tubes in the area, anything that's melted, broken, cracked, dis-connected, missing?

I could see the heat and possibly pressure causing any or all of the above to happen somewere, or a simple case of missing something while installing the new rad like a important vacuum line taken off for access and forgot to put it back etc.

There is also the possibility of engine overheat damage, and engine damage from temperature change due to coolant blasting it. Metal doesn't react very well to a sudden extreme change in temperature. example washing a hot engine with cold water can crack and destroy it. Though hot coolant should be ok on a hot engine, and if the engine was shut off quickly it shouldn't have overheat damage.

I'm leaning to either human error in the install process, missing something that should have been put back on that the car needs to run, Or something that was missed by the inspector that is damaged as a result of the rad blowing up everywhere. Something has obviously been removed and not put back, or damaged.

Check your fuses, all of your fuses. The engine has positive and ground wires in the engine bay. The engine block itself and the alternator casing are ground points with positive connections on the alternator, and starter which are on the engine. The coolant may have shorted out the power, popping several fuses along with it. Fuses are meant to keep the electronics safe so if that's the case a new fuse should be all you need.

Last edited by DonVanhugenstein; 05-03-2016 at 01:06 PM.