Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Serpentine belt!!! Ahh!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 11:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Serpentine belt!!! Ahh!!

Hello,
I have a 2007 Volvo s80 v8 and it has 110,000 miles on it. After 60000 miles that I put on it, I encountered my first problem.

I lost power steering and the alternator is not charging the battery. Belt broke while making a right turn, drove 3 miles home struggling so hard to turn the wheel. Make it home, put it in park with the park brake. Turn off the car by hitting the stop button, then try twice to start it, engine turned a little but did not start.

I'm guessing from the symptoms that it's the serpentine belt but can't think of what else it could be?

Pink fluid was leaking on the passenger side of the car, is this power steering fluid or is this transmission fluid? I'm pretty sure it's power steering wheel?

Anyone have instructions on how to do the serpentine belt?
I heard it is very involved repair??

Old 01-09-2012, 12:29 AM

Turns out that the fluid thats leaking is coolant and I found the belt to be ripped on one side and completely off the pulley system. Coolant level is low but the tank is showing just under the min mark

Old 01-09-2012, 12:44 AM

i found these instructions online, can anyone verify this information is correct?

Open the hood on the Volvo S80 and secure the hood in place with the lock rod. Look on top of the fan shroud for the serpentine belt routing diagram. If the diagram is not on top of the fan shroud, look on the underside of the hood. Use the serpentine belt routing diagram as your guide for installing the new serpentine belt.

Inspect the front of the engine and locate the tensioner that keeps the serpentine belt tight. The tensioner on the S80 model cars is located in the very center of the engine. The tensioner will have a square bolt head in the center of the pulley. Use this pulley to remove the belt.

Slide the open end of the 3/4-inch wrench over the square bolt head in the center of the tensioner pulley. Turn the wrench counterclockwise to release the tension from the serpentine belt.

Remove the serpentine belt from the tensioner pulley with your other hand while holding the tensioner over with the 3/4-inch open-end wrench. Finish removing the belt from each of the other pulleys. Take the belt out of the engine compartment.

Put the new serpentine belt inside of the engine compartment. Take one end of the serpentine belt and wrap it around the crankshaft pulley on the bottom of the engine.

Route the new serpentine belt around each of the remaining pulleys by using the serpentine belt routing diagram as your guide.

Turn the tensioner counterclockwise with the 3/4-inch open-end wrench. Put the new serpentine belt around the tensioner pulley and release the tensioner.

Crank the Volvo S-80 and inspect the new belt with the motor running. Let the engine run for about one minute and then turn the engine off.

Read more: How to Change the Serpentine Belt in a Volvo S80 | eHow.com How to Change the Serpentine Belt in a Volvo S80 | eHow.com

Old 01-09-2012, 06:28 PM

The information sounds correct to me. I'd suggest a long handle wrench or breaker bar attached to your wrench or socket, those tensioners are tough.
Also when your belt broke, it probably smacked/damaged the coolant tank at the same time.

Old 01-12-2012, 02:49 PM

What an experience, I accessed the idler pulley that the bearings went bad on and had to do it with the shield in the passenger wheel pulled out. I have to say wow what limits amount of space you have to work with lol.

I got the car bolt lose on the pulley, and will install the new one tonight. Then tommorow the belt that I got from autozone called delco, I'll put in tommorow after noon and hopefully I'll be up and running by Friday night. Now I notice, there is a big pulley that can be seen from the passenger side wheel well, is there a easy way to get the belt in that tiny slot? Looks like as if you have to pull it out then put the belt on? Any tips for puttin the belt on? I have the diagram.

Thanks in advance

Old 01-12-2012, 11:46 PM

well, I just have to say two things:

1.) The bolt holding the idler in is hitting the frame of the car, and i cant pull it out of the idler pulley. I am not sure if it needs to be hit downward, to a portion of the frame that is not as far out. Only thing I notice is a hole in the metal frame, but i do not think the bolt will go through that.

2.)The idler pulley itself is not budging at all.

thanks if anyone can chime in with this

Old 03-16-2017, 07:04 PM
Default Bolt removal issue

Does anyone know how to replace lower idler for serpentine belt, as the bolt is hitting car frame. What is the trick for removal?