Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Timing Belt Precautions!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 08:57 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Timing Belt Precautions!!

I am writing this post because there has kind of been a little debate lately about timing belts and the service intervals.
[/align]The post is to show why the timing belt should really be changed at about 70,000 miles instead of 105,000 like Volvo says it should be.
[/align]Also Make sure you replace the tensioner and idler pulleys as well.
[/align]I have some pics of belts I have replaced at work on cars.
[/align]I have the belts from a few of the different models the milage will vary between 70K and 80K. You will see how the belts crack at that milage.
[/align]I would not trust the belts like that on my own car. That's why I am making this post so that everyone is informed about the belts and what can happen if they break.
[/align]
[/align]I know not everyone has the money always to get the job done. I know how it is I have 4 kids and very little money. But the point I am trying to make is that it is better to pay between $700.00 to $800.00 or so. Rather than having to Junk the car or pay over $3000.00 to get the head rebuilt or replaced. Or maybe even more to have a new motor installed.
[/align]
[/align]I have my own theory on why they go bad faster on the 1999 and newer cars than on the older cars.
[/align]
[/align]I think it is because of how the timing covers are made.
[/align]The older cars all the heat that gets to the timing belt only comes from the front of the motor.
[/align]
[/align]The 1999 and newer cars the timing cover are different because of having the VVT valve in the cam cover. That allows all the heat from the top of the motor to access the timing belt and add more heat to that area causing the belt to go bad faster.
[/align]
[/align]On the 1993 to 1998 5 cylinders and 1994 to 1998 6 cylinders the timing belts could last a lot long but I wouldn't trust them either.
[/align]But that's my theory.
[/align]
[/align]Now onto the pictures the first batch will be the timing belt pictures with the model,year and milage that they were changed.
[/align]Then the last batch of pictures will be an idler and tensioner pulley from a S80.(Not as bad as I wanted for an example picture but will work.
[/align]Then finally a picture of an engine that had the belt break.
[/align]
[/align]This way everyone has an Idea of the entire situation.
[/align]Then you can make your own decisions from here.
[/align]
[/align]The first belt is from a 2000 S80 with 72,623 miles
[/align]Name:  Picture003.jpg
Views: 4047
Size:  54.8 KB
[/align]Name:  Picture004.jpg
Views: 3890
Size:  35.3 KB
[/align]The second belt is from a 2003 S40 with 73,746 miles
[/align]
[/align]
[/align]The last one is from a 2001 V70 with 82,700 miles
[/align]Name:  Picture007.jpg
Views: 3874
Size:  54.5 KB
[/align]Name:  Picture008.jpg
Views: 3926
Size:  49.4 KB
[/align]
[/align]Here is a tensioner if you look closely in one spot you will see where grease started coming out of the bearing.
[/align]Name:  Picture010-1.jpg
Views: 3881
Size:  54.1 KB
[/align]
[/align]Here is the idler same here both sides were spinning grease out.
[/align]Name:  Picture011-1.jpg
Views: 3882
Size:  54.9 KB
[/align]
[/align]If your serpentine belt looks like this replace it I have seen them break as well and get sucked into the engine and break the timing belt as well.
[/align]Name:  Picture009.jpg
Views: 3924
Size:  42.4 KB
[/align]
[/align]So there is my post the pics might not be the best but should help some.
[/align]
Sorry here is the pics of the head and block

Name:  Volvo006.jpg
Views: 4119
Size:  47.4 KB

Old 11-19-2007, 04:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Timing Belt Precautions!!

Appreciate the info Tech. Will check and see when mine was replaced. I have 147,000 miles so it may be time to replace again. Thanks Again!

Old 11-19-2007, 10:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is quite a valve job! I've seen a few bent valves when the belt goes, but it looks like 7 valves broke! Lucky 7! Nice info and pics on the belts and tensioners!

Have a good T-Day!

B

The following users liked this post:
tozijab (08-10-2023)
Old 11-20-2007, 06:28 PM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: tripleb

That is quite a valve job! I've seen a few bent valves when the belt goes, but it looks like 7 valves broke! Lucky 7! Nice info and pics on the belts and tensioners!

Have a good T-Day!

B
Thanks!!

Old 11-26-2007, 03:01 PM

Thanks for the info., Tech. I wish I would have known before the pulley broke, which caused the timing belt to break, in my 2000 S80. However, I am getting the engine replaced, with a 2001 S80 engine, at the cost of $3500. Since,I am putting this type of money in the car, I've decided to make it my project car. I'm keeping the outside close to factory, but I'm planning some major tuning and performance. Thanks again.

Old 02-08-2008, 10:38 AM

Tech, my engine job is now complete. The total cost was $4096.78. She rides like "a brand new vehicle."Thanks for your post on the timing belt and the damage that can be done. I am all the more wiser, now.

Old 02-09-2008, 09:33 AM
Administrator

Glad your running but not glad it cost you so much!!! Sorry.
Sad to say but sometimes we have to learn the hard way.

Old 02-29-2008, 08:20 AM

hi newb here. i just bought my 1999 S80 T6 yesterday. i asked the guy at the dealership about the timing belt and if it was changed (the car now has 119000 miles on it) he could tell me one way or the other but the manual is documented as having all the servicing done all the way up till now but it doesnt specificaly say anything about the timing belt. it says stuff like engine serviced or electrical system serviced but nothing specific. also on car fax all the servicing is also documented but doesnt go into specifics just shows what the mileage was at each service. its a one owner car. based on the strict servicing history do yal think i could make the assumption that the belt was changed? or should i pay for it to be done even though it might not need it? or is there any way i can find out for sure? like could i bring it somewhere and just have it checked? and would that be cheaper? man i love this car i been looking for one for a while but all the ones in my price range were trashed. this one is in real nice shape. thanks in advance!

Old 02-29-2008, 06:01 PM
Administrator

Have it inspected by someone that knows Volvo's.
Or if you know where to look you can do it your self.
The Belts above can be used as a refrence.

Old 03-01-2008, 03:05 PM

ok i read through the manual and looked at the servicing and all servicing has been stamped and signed for including the one for the 105000 mile timing belt change. this car is super nice everything works and there are no problems. interior is awsome i cant believe its a 99'. im going to continie doing the servicing on it like it should be done in hope that this is why there arent any problems and also in hopes that there will continue to be minimal issues. thanks for the tip it will be going in soon for its 120000 mile servicing and they should beable to tell me if there are anything problems i havnt found. the only thing i found was a service light but i had the codes checked and its just for the anti theaft thing.. i dont know whats wrong with it but at least its nothing major.

Old 09-18-2008, 07:41 PM

Hey Tech, Thanks a ton for all this valuable info. I have 2 additonal questions..in my case pertainingto an '01 S80 T6 with 134K. I'm about to get the timing belt changed this coming Monday. Not sure if its been changed before so this could be the 1st change.
I havesome questions:
1. Do I need to get the water pump changed too?
2. Is it completely necessary to get the idler pulley changed? Can I get away with just getting the idler bearings changed? What if I only get the tensioner and timing belt done?

I'm in a bit of a dilemma so it would great if you could provide some advice. I'm not planning on keeping this car for more than another 18 months at a maximum.

Cheers
Sahil

Old 09-18-2008, 10:01 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would suggest doing the idler pulley while you are at it... considering that it really isnt that much more cost, better to be safe than not... the t-belt is the number killer of these cars from what I understand (along with tranny on earlier models) and it really is not worth the money saved to have to replace/rebuild an engine..
i got mine on eeuroparts for $40 for the idler, 45 for the belt and 55 for the tensioner... all OEM so you should consider it..

regards the water pump, I dont think you have to change it but you will want to hear back from one of the more mechanically minded forum members

Old 09-18-2008, 10:09 PM

you can check the water pump just by feeling for play in the bearing.. and the only reason i dont suggest doing the pump automatically is because.. honestly people. volvo t'belts and water pumps are of the simplest ive ever done. its not like a dodge intrepid with a v6 or a 2.3 liter honda accord. simply stated.. you have 2 or 3 bolts for the timing cover to come off.. then four bolts for the harmonic balancer.. and dont forget the drive belt which took a whole 5 minutes..and then you can get to everything.. so if it only takes you 35 min to get to the water pump or timing belt why spend an extra 75 bucks on parts you may not need for 3 yrs?? and plus you have to go through a process of draining coolant and bleeding air bubbles out as well.. simply put.. ive seen 5 tensioner pulleys or idler pulleys go out and destroy an engine on a volvo.. ive never seen a water pump go or a belt shread or break.. that again,... is just my observations. so id definately change tensioner pulley, idler pulley and t/belt at intervals, but check the water pump for play or leakage before changing it....

Old 09-18-2008, 10:17 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The said parts are even cheaper on FCP groton but you will have to pay for shipping unless ordering over $149 worth....
ON FCP the belt is 37, the idler 35 and the tensioner 55....
do not forget to take a look at your serpentine belt to make sure it doesnt have cracks... if it does, it is reccomended that you change it while you are already doing the T-belt job...... the S-belt is 28 or so on FCP...combine it all and you may have enough for the free shipping...

goodluck!

Old 09-19-2008, 07:28 PM
Administrator

The tensioner and idler are actually more important than the timing belt. The pulleys fail more than the belts do.

Old 09-20-2008, 04:44 PM

right on tech...

Old 12-03-2008, 03:31 PM

Good to see that this info is out there for people. I do have too say though, in 95% of the instances that I have seen, when the timing componants break it is normally the tensioner. The Volvo book does not call for the tensioner to be replaced, but Tech is very right in saying that you should definately replace both the belt and the tensioner at the 105,000 interval on the 1999-up cars like the s-80/60/xc90/etc. I have also seen a couple instances where the water pump has siezed up and broke or threw the belt. And it is expensive to get the service at a retailer, but as Tech and caldwell07 says, it could be much more expensive!

Old 12-10-2008, 09:11 PM

wish i had found this forum about a week ago. i have a 2000 s80 2.9 i heard a strange noise coming from the timing belt cover and thought the timing belt was coming apart so i shut the car off and had it towed to a mechanic. it was running fine when i shut it off. he said the tensioner was broke and needed replaced so i said ok. he then proceeded to tell me that when he was putting the belt back on the cams turned freely with no resistance so he assumes the valves are bent and the head is damaged. i dont understand how that much damage could occur if the engine was running normaly when i shut it off. i have it quoted at about $2500.00 to replace the valves and have the head replaced. but is it possible for that much damage to occur to the engine at idle and no abnormal indication during engine shut down? the mechanic swears he did not turn over the engine. but im having troble believing that. please let me know what you guys think

Old 12-11-2008, 05:43 AM

I have an 850 I bought from a guy that I am putting a used engine in. He said just about the same thing, that he was going pretty slow around a parking lot and he heard something and shut it off. I put the belt and water pump on the car just for grins and experianced similar symptoms. It doesnt take much with these engines. Another thing to look at is how many miles is on your engine....if it has like 180,000 miles or something, I might look into a used engine. You could get a used engine, including install for close to that same price.

Old 12-11-2008, 08:04 AM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: pdougan916

wish i had found this forum about a week ago. i have a 2000 s80 2.9 i heard a strange noise coming from the timing belt cover and thought the timing belt was coming apart so i shut the car off and had it towed to a mechanic. it was running fine when i shut it off. he said the tensioner was broke and needed replaced so i said ok. he then proceeded to tell me that when he was putting the belt back on the cams turned freely with no resistance so he assumes the valves are bent and the head is damaged. i dont understand how that much damage could occur if the engine was running normaly when i shut it off. i have it quoted at about $2500.00 to replace the valves and have the head replaced. but is it possible for that much damage to occur to the engine at idle and no abnormal indication during engine shut down? the mechanic swears he did not turn over the engine. but im having troble believing that. please let me know what you guys think
Did he install the belt and pulleys and try to start it?

One of the cams has a VVT and will move freely which one depends on if it is turbo or not. I would have him put it all together and see if it runs. Yes the valves bend easy. I have seen alot of cars where people got real lucky in the same situation.

Quick Reply: Timing Belt Precautions!!