Go Back   Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum > Volvo Vehicles > Volvo S80
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Volvo Forums!
Welcome to Volvo Forums,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Volvo Forums today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-18-2008, 08:41 PM

Default RE: Timing Belt Precautions!!

Hey Tech, Thanks a ton for all this valuable info. I have 2 additonal questions..in my case pertainingto an '01 S80 T6 with 134K. I'm about to get the timing belt changed this coming Monday. Not sure if its been changed before so this could be the 1st change.
I havesome questions:
1. Do I need to get the water pump changed too?
2. Is it completely necessary to get the idler pulley changed? Can I get away with just getting the idler bearings changed? What if I only get the tensioner and timing belt done?

I'm in a bit of a dilemma so it would great if you could provide some advice. I'm not planning on keeping this car for more than another 18 months at a maximum.

Cheers
Sahil
Old 09-18-2008, 11:01 PM
2002 Volvo S80

I would suggest doing the idler pulley while you are at it... considering that it really isnt that much more cost, better to be safe than not... the t-belt is the number killer of these cars from what I understand (along with tranny on earlier models) and it really is not worth the money saved to have to replace/rebuild an engine..
i got mine on eeuroparts for $40 for the idler, 45 for the belt and 55 for the tensioner... all OEM so you should consider it..

regards the water pump, I dont think you have to change it but you will want to hear back from one of the more mechanically minded forum members

http://i509.photobucket.com/albums/s...ility004-1.jpg
Old 09-18-2008, 11:09 PM

you can check the water pump just by feeling for play in the bearing.. and the only reason i dont suggest doing the pump automatically is because.. honestly people. volvo t'belts and water pumps are of the simplest ive ever done. its not like a dodge intrepid with a v6 or a 2.3 liter honda accord. simply stated.. you have 2 or 3 bolts for the timing cover to come off.. then four bolts for the harmonic balancer.. and dont forget the drive belt which took a whole 5 minutes..and then you can get to everything.. so if it only takes you 35 min to get to the water pump or timing belt why spend an extra 75 bucks on parts you may not need for 3 yrs?? and plus you have to go through a process of draining coolant and bleeding air bubbles out as well.. simply put.. ive seen 5 tensioner pulleys or idler pulleys go out and destroy an engine on a volvo.. ive never seen a water pump go or a belt shread or break.. that again,... is just my observations. so id definately change tensioner pulley, idler pulley and t/belt at intervals, but check the water pump for play or leakage before changing it....
Old 09-18-2008, 11:17 PM
2002 Volvo S80

The said parts are even cheaper on FCP groton but you will have to pay for shipping unless ordering over $149 worth....
ON FCP the belt is 37, the idler 35 and the tensioner 55....
do not forget to take a look at your serpentine belt to make sure it doesnt have cracks... if it does, it is reccomended that you change it while you are already doing the T-belt job...... the S-belt is 28 or so on FCP...combine it all and you may have enough for the free shipping...

goodluck!

http://i509.photobucket.com/albums/s...ility004-1.jpg
Old 09-19-2008, 08:28 PM
Administrator

The tensioner and idler are actually more important than the timing belt. The pulleys fail more than the belts do.
1994 N/A 5-speed wagon Purple (daughters)
Old 09-20-2008, 05:44 PM

right on tech...
Old 12-03-2008, 04:31 PM

Good to see that this info is out there for people. I do have too say though, in 95% of the instances that I have seen, when the timing componants break it is normally the tensioner. The Volvo book does not call for the tensioner to be replaced, but Tech is very right in saying that you should definately replace both the belt and the tensioner at the 105,000 interval on the 1999-up cars like the s-80/60/xc90/etc. I have also seen a couple instances where the water pump has siezed up and broke or threw the belt. And it is expensive to get the service at a retailer, but as Tech and caldwell07 says, it could be much more expensive!
Old 12-10-2008, 10:11 PM

wish i had found this forum about a week ago. i have a 2000 s80 2.9 i heard a strange noise coming from the timing belt cover and thought the timing belt was coming apart so i shut the car off and had it towed to a mechanic. it was running fine when i shut it off. he said the tensioner was broke and needed replaced so i said ok. he then proceeded to tell me that when he was putting the belt back on the cams turned freely with no resistance so he assumes the valves are bent and the head is damaged. i dont understand how that much damage could occur if the engine was running normaly when i shut it off. i have it quoted at about $2500.00 to replace the valves and have the head replaced. but is it possible for that much damage to occur to the engine at idle and no abnormal indication during engine shut down? the mechanic swears he did not turn over the engine. but im having troble believing that. please let me know what you guys think
Old 12-11-2008, 06:43 AM

I have an 850 I bought from a guy that I am putting a used engine in. He said just about the same thing, that he was going pretty slow around a parking lot and he heard something and shut it off. I put the belt and water pump on the car just for grins and experianced similar symptoms. It doesnt take much with these engines. Another thing to look at is how many miles is on your engine....if it has like 180,000 miles or something, I might look into a used engine. You could get a used engine, including install for close to that same price.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:04 AM
Administrator

Quote:
ORIGINAL: pdougan916

wish i had found this forum about a week ago. i have a 2000 s80 2.9 i heard a strange noise coming from the timing belt cover and thought the timing belt was coming apart so i shut the car off and had it towed to a mechanic. it was running fine when i shut it off. he said the tensioner was broke and needed replaced so i said ok. he then proceeded to tell me that when he was putting the belt back on the cams turned freely with no resistance so he assumes the valves are bent and the head is damaged. i dont understand how that much damage could occur if the engine was running normaly when i shut it off. i have it quoted at about $2500.00 to replace the valves and have the head replaced. but is it possible for that much damage to occur to the engine at idle and no abnormal indication during engine shut down? the mechanic swears he did not turn over the engine. but im having troble believing that. please let me know what you guys think
Did he install the belt and pulleys and try to start it?

One of the cams has a VVT and will move freely which one depends on if it is turbo or not. I would have him put it all together and see if it runs. Yes the valves bend easy. I have seen alot of cars where people got real lucky in the same situation.
1994 N/A 5-speed wagon Purple (daughters)
Old 12-11-2008, 09:04 AM

Tags
105000, 2002, belt, change, install, pump, replaced, s80, service, symptoms, timimg, timing, volvo, water, xc70