Go Back   Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum > Volvo Vehicles > Volvo S80
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Volvo Forums!
Welcome to Volvo Forums,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Volvo Forums today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-16-2007, 06:41 PM

Default Tips for Front Strut Bushing and Top Motor Mount

Okay, if you want to do this, I assume you have are able to turn big bolts and use air tools. I guess it's possible without air tools, but much much more labor. This is intended as technical tips forbeginners like mewhoventured this far. If you are the type that thinks you can do it, then I really think you can.

Upper Motor Mount: This one, you don't need air tools.

Dealer wanted $280 for this. So I got the part online for $25 and 30 mins of handy man labor and it's done.

1) Remove the bolt holding the motor mount. Remove the 4 bolts from the end of the big metal bar going across that your motor mount is attached to. These 4 bolts are the ones screwed straight down to the wheel housing (body) 2 from each side.
2) Knock out the motor mount from the engine housing. Since mine was broken, knocking out the middle portion was easy. Then I used a big flat screw driver and a hammer to break off bushing ring that still stuck on the housing. Once a portion of it breaks, the rest are loose and can be taken off easily.
3) I used motor oil to spread around the mount housing so the new bushing would slide in easier. I also used a small hammer and tapped around the bushing to make it go in. Depend on the bushing you buy, mine has a metal tube in the middle where the bolt goes through. I used a socket equal to its size and tapped the tube over so that it's center from both side.
4) Now just reinstall everything, going backward. Good luck!

Upper Strut Mount Bushing: $20 each online. This one, I suggest you use air tools.

1) Must have: spring compressor, torx sockets
2) If you take on this job, you should know how to take things off and put them back. I only did this on my front right, so my tips was resulted from it.
3) So here are some tips beside the obvious bolts and screws. I had to remove the sensor that bolted on to the spindle with a 10mm socket. This made it easier for me to remove the strut after loosing it. I moved the strut toward the rear to remove it. When reinstalling this sensor, make sure to put the bolt on the sensor then lower it down to bolt it in. I happened to dropped the bolt down the sensor hole and was able to get it out, scared me there, so be careful.
4) At first, I couldn't tell the bushing was bad when I had the strut removed. Then I noticed the metal tube in the middle of the bushing was actually broke away from the rubber. And this is what caused the noise like a loose strut when you hit pothole. When remount the strut, align it back to the same marking visible due to dirt. At least this help me, I'm not sure if I need to do "alignment" but so far it drives straight.

Again, I'm not a mechanic, just an IT guy.
Don't PM me, I hardly come on here.
Please feel free to add or answer if you know.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:50 PM

Default RE: Tips for Front Strut Bushing and Top Motor Mount

I replaced my strut bushing a couple of weeks ago, doesn' tmake that noice when I hit a pothole, but it does make a small popping popping noise when I make turns everyonce in a while, could it be possible that I didn't tighten something right, or perhaps the spring didn't seat properly on the spring??? I'm thinking of taking it out again this weekend to inspect it. This part breaks after about 40K on my volvo, so far I've replaced both, and something tells me it won't be the last time. Seems to be a design flaw. What do you think tech?? could I have left something a little loose or could there be another bushing going bad?
Old 01-17-2007, 08:55 PM
Administrator

Possibly.
But does it only happen when the wheel is turned all the way?
Are the sway bar links good?
1994 N/A 5-speed wagon Purple (daughters)
Old 01-18-2007, 02:58 PM

There's no real pattern to the clunk, you can actually feel something bumping against the floor board from inside the car.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:32 PM
Administrator

Possible the nut not tight enough as well.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:48 PM

You mean the big nut that you can see under the hood?? I tightened that one w/ an impact tool, but I'll take it out this weekend, maybe I missed something.
Old 01-19-2007, 08:52 PM
Administrator

No the one under the Big nut.
The funny looking nut.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:51 PM

yes, it's like the red-cross simple but it's yellowish metalic.
And yes, a funky lookingnut.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:13 PM

Hey tech I took it apart this weekend and the funny looking nut seemed pretty tight. I put it together and now it's making more noise than before, well only when it go over big pumps and when you turn, when you I turn I can feel some movement beneath the floorboards on the driver's side. I've taken this strut out so many times, it's gotten to the point where I can take it out and put it back together in about 30 minutes. Funny how Volvo dealerships will charge you about 800 to replace this 40 dollar part, and if they get it in wrong, it'll take the world for them to admit it or fix their mistakes.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:36 PM
Administrator

Is the spring lined up like it should be?
Old 01-24-2007, 08:36 PM

Tags
bearing, bushing, bushings, engine, motor, mount, plate, s80, strut, t6, tool, top, touching, upper, volvo