Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Turn Signal Repair Tutorial

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 06:47 PM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Turn Signal Repair Tutorial

OK, this is admittedly easy stuff, but it's a common problem on many Volvo's (had the same issue on my S70) so I thought I'd post a "How To" for anyone needing it. Please read the whole thing as I made a mistake and got lucky.

The symptoms are that the turn signals don't work, work intermittently, only work with the lever in certain positions, and it can be on either - or both - sides. Naturally, your Volvo dealer wants over a 100 bucks for the part and 1 hours labor. You can order the part from IPD, FCP Groton or whomever you want, around 70 dollars. Or, just fix the old one as good as new. This is really newbie, easy stuff.

First:
Get a number 1 Phillips head screwdriver,
Some small Torx screwdrivers (I think it was a 25 but you need a set anyway)
A can of contact cleaner
A pencil w/ an eraser
20 minutes
1 beer.

Second:
1.) Lift up on the top cover of the steering column behind the steering whell. Just clips in. The bottom cover is held on with 3 Torx screws (I think they are size 25. Maybe 20's or 30's)
2.) You are now looking at your Turn Signal - remove the 2 Phillips head screws and slide it straight back and out.
3.) Put everything on a nice clean table top. There is a part that can fall out later and you want to be able to find it!
4.) Remove the screw the red arrow points at. Be careful not to bend the thin contacts indicated by the yellow bracket (they are fairly sturdy but don't temp fate by messing with them)
Turn Signal Repair Tutorial-turn-signal-removed-w-screw-5-mb.jpg

5.) Now the circuit board just lifts up. THIS IS WHERE THE PART THAT CAN FALL OUT WILL OCCUR. We'll point that out later. For now, see all the dirty, covered in Swedish oil little contacts? Those are the problem areas.
Turn Signal Repair Tutorial-circuit-board-w-arrows5mb.jpg

Reach for your can of contact cleaner. Extinguish flames, work in well ventilated area, avoid contact with skin, eyes, painted surfaces, do not use if pregnant, and read the precautions first. I use this stuff, available at any auto parts store or home improvement staore (ie. Home Depot, Lowes, ACE Hardware, etc)
Turn Signal Repair Tutorial-cleaner5mb.jpg

6.) Spray the contacts until you feel the oil is all gon. Get all the contacts. Then rub them with the pencil eraser a little. Give the a quick blast of contact cleaner.
NOTE: THE BLUE ARROW POINTS TO WHERE A RECTANGULAR PART WITH CONTACTS SHOULD BE. When I took the pictures I didn't realize something belonged there. It just sits in the slot so is best to remove it, clean it first, clean everything else and replace it before replacing the circuit board. I had to dismantle it after reassembly and testing to figure out what I had done. Then I had to find the little bugger. Since I took it apart in my garage I had to search for 30 minutes to find it. That's why you should work on a clean table top.
Turn Signal Repair Tutorial-where-clean-w-missing-part5mb.jpg

7.)Let dry a minute. It should now look like this -
Turn Signal Repair Tutorial-circuit-board-after-cleaning5mb.jpg

8.) Reassembly is , as they say, the opposite of disassembly. The turn signal slides in easily - don't force anything.

9.) Button up the steering column covers, turn the key "On", and test.

10.) Open beer and bask in the blinking light of a job well, and easily, done.

Attached Thumbnails Turn Signal Repair Tutorial-turn-signal-removed-w-screw.jpg  

Last edited by donf; 01-19-2017 at 06:49 PM.