Volvo S90 & V90 Returning for 2017, This sleek full sized sedan mixes luxury with a sporty look.

Transmission arrow flashing, W-S-E flashing..

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 09:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission arrow flashing, W-S-E flashing..

Hey guys!

I'm in need of a little assistance.. I just purchased a 98 S90 in decent condition, drove it back home ~150 kilometers without any issues. Today, i went to move it; started it up, drove it in my driveway, shut it down (less than 5 minutes). Then i came to start it back up and the arrow light in the dash would flash, aswell as the S/W/E lights, did not attempt to put the car on ramps as the car felt like it was starting in 3rd gear.

Tried the gearshift rocking thing (to clean contacts), didnt work. Tried resetting PCM, didnt work. About an hour later i restarted the car, it was still blinking, reversed in the street, shut the car off, (played car parking tetris), restarted the volvo to park it in its spot and the light was gone..!

Now, is there a way of getting a DTC for it? While the problem was occuring, i plugged my obd2 scantool and didnt have any codes at all.. Is there a special way to get fault codes for the transmission? Anything i should be looking at?

Some more info; The car seems to be shifting really normally, yes i've been driving stick for the last 10 years, but it seemed to operate like normal. I checked the ATF fluid, it had a nice red color, no burned smell at all. (it must have been recently flushed, a 200 000km tranny cannot have such a beautyful ATF color!)

Thanks!

Old 11-18-2012, 10:52 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Search the forum for PNP Switch. Most common failure in these cars, I think. It's even ahead of the ignition switch. PNP's gotta be the most discussed problem here..

These transmissions are bulletproof. You can read more here about them and their durability.

Congratulations on the car. They are a great value. They're also great to drive in the winter with snows. Your car might also have Automatic Locking Differential (ALD) which helps in winter driving too. Do you have a snow-flake symbol at the Outside Temperature display?

Old 08-13-2013, 06:26 AM
Angry Auto Transmission arrow flashing / system

Hi Nathan007 and others reading this.

I have a 1997 S90 with similar problem: transmission arrow W-S-E flashing.
Took it to a local ex Volvo established mechanic in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia where I live and was told there is no other option but to replaced the whole AT system.

Is there any place I can buy a 2nd hand AT system and shipped it to Malaysia?
Kindy advice, many thanks

QUOTE=Nathan007;335013]Hey guys!

I'm in need of a little assistance.. I just purchased a 98 S90 in decent condition, drove it back home ~150 kilometers without any issues. Today, i went to move it; started it up, drove it in my driveway, shut it down (less than 5 minutes). Then i came to start it back up and the arrow light in the dash would flash, aswell as the S/W/E lights, did not attempt to put the car on ramps as the car felt like it was starting in 3rd gear.

Tried the gearshift rocking thing (to clean contacts), didnt work. Tried resetting PCM, didnt work. About an hour later i restarted the car, it was still blinking, reversed in the street, shut the car off, (played car parking tetris), restarted the volvo to park it in its spot and the light was gone..!

Now, is there a way of getting a DTC for it? While the problem was occuring, i plugged my obd2 scantool and didnt have any codes at all.. Is there a special way to get fault codes for the transmission? Anything i should be looking at?

Some more info; The car seems to be shifting really normally, yes i've been driving stick for the last 10 years, but it seemed to operate like normal. I checked the ATF fluid, it had a nice red color, no burned smell at all. (it must have been recently flushed, a 200 000km tranny cannot have such a beautyful ATF color!)

Thanks![/QUOTE]

Old 08-13-2013, 06:27 AM

Took it to a local ex Volvo established mechanic in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia where I live and was told there is no other option but to replaced the whole AT system.

Old 08-13-2013, 06:28 AM

Sorry, I am learning how to post message in this forum. My apologies if it appear more than once here, tqvm

stewie

Old 10-11-2013, 02:11 AM

After checking the PNP switch, check for a lose ground wire in the engine compartment and lose or bare wiring underneath the car around the transmission wiring harnesses. I am not surprised that a dealer suggested a new tranny! Most dealers that I know of would rather replace an item than attempt to figure out the real problem.

Old 10-02-2014, 06:32 PM

I had the same exact problem on my 1998 V90 wagon. The problem was the PRNDL switch. We replaced the switch and everything works just fine. The transmission is made by Aiken and is the same one used on Lexus, it is almost indestructible. Your mechanic is might be playing games or he is just not knowledgeable.