Volvo V40 A super safe wagon, this attainable Volvo offers something for everyone.

Engine will turn over but not start

Old 02-15-2017, 06:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine will turn over but not start

About a month ago, I was driving my 2000 V40 home from school and my engine spiked out the temperature and started smoking really heavily so I pulled off to that side and turned my car off then it wouldn't start the oil got very hot and the dipstick to check the oil had popped out. Since then it will turn over but not start, we got it to start once or twice after replacing the Spark Plugs and Coils but it has now stopped working again.
Also there is a leak somewhere and I can't seem to find it. I'll put coolant in the system and it'll be gone in the morning.

Old 02-17-2017, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

Did you confirm spark? confirm fuel pressure? considering you overheated and are loosing coolant - with no apparent drips, I'd test compression and related head gasket tests.

Old 02-24-2017, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by mt6127
Did you confirm spark? confirm fuel pressure? considering you overheated and are loosing coolant - with no apparent drips, I'd test compression and related head gasket tests.
The spark is good and the Fuel pressure is good, there is now water in the oil. Is there an easier way to check compression without a tool??

Old 02-25-2017, 08:44 PM
Super Moderator

not sure what you mean by check compression without a tool. The idea of the test is to look for consistent PSIs during 5-10 cycles of the engine. If you see low pressure in adjacent cylinders, it can suggest a head gasket issue. You need a pressure gauge to measure each cylinder (many big box auto parts stores will rent this tool) but its best done with a warm engine to get accurate readings unless you simply want to do a "wet test" where you drop a few tbs of oil into the spark plug hole before running the test. If as you say you have water in the oil, and that you overheated, odds are you have a blown head gasket or even a cracked or warped head. there is a test kit for testing exhaust gas in the antifreeze - but typically that's for a car with a running engine.

Old 02-28-2017, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by mt6127
not sure what you mean by check compression without a tool. The idea of the test is to look for consistent PSIs during 5-10 cycles of the engine. If you see low pressure in adjacent cylinders, it can suggest a head gasket issue. You need a pressure gauge to measure each cylinder (many big box auto parts stores will rent this tool) but its best done with a warm engine to get accurate readings unless you simply want to do a "wet test" where you drop a few tbs of oil into the spark plug hole before running the test. If as you say you have water in the oil, and that you overheated, odds are you have a blown head gasket or even a cracked or warped head. there is a test kit for testing exhaust gas in the antifreeze - but typically that's for a car with a running engine.
Would a warped head prevent the vehicle from starting?

Old 03-01-2017, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator

if the head is not holding enough compression then yes it could cause start problems but I've had an engine run with a 1/2 inch tear in the head gasket between two cylinders - enough to reduce compression by half... only way to tell is to do a proper compression test.