Volvo V40 A super safe wagon, this attainable Volvo offers something for everyone.

New Rear Brakes Not working well

Old 02-21-2015, 04:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation New Rear Brakes Not working well

I have a 2001 Volvo v40 and I changed the rear brake pads and rotors the other day. When I pull the handbrake, the car stops very slowly, I must have messed it up! I recalled that I felt that I over torqued the caliper guide pin bolts. I was tightening one on each side and then I felt it tighten easy and I stopped right away. Could this be the reason the brakes suck so much?? Thank you very much for the help, I hope I did this correctly as this is my first post!

Old 02-22-2015, 05:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know - as long as you were using a regular 3/8 ratchet I don't think you would have over torqued it so much that you stripped it. More likely that the counterhold slipped maybe? You can do a visual to make sure the hb is behaving as it should. When it is off you should be be to see the hb arm on the back of the caliper resting on the stopper. When you have it full on it should be about 1/2 to 3/4" off the stopper. as long as that is happening and you get about 7 clicks you should be good. Take a look at both sides as sometimes it ends up sieong on one side giving you tons of slack when you pull the lever up.

Old 02-28-2015, 05:22 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

are you saying you changed the pads/rotor for the regular brakes and its the emergency brake that seems off? How did you recess the calipers to get the new pads in? (these require the press while turning tool). If the brakes are working fine but the handbrake is "off", try backing up a few times at speed and press the brake medium hard. Not sure if the v40 has an auto-adjust for rear brakes - but that's generally how they work. Also how much play is in the hand brake lever? it may be that you need to adjust the cables inside the cabin.

Old 03-01-2015, 04:31 PM
Red face

At "mt6127" :

I took the car to a mechanic to inspect it and all he could tell me was the pads were a bit smaller than typical volvo pads (I bought them at autozone). He did say that I hadn't overtightened the guide pins which was relieving. I don't think this would be the problem entirely because the pads that were used before are the same size as the ones that I just put in. The handbrake can be pulled up all the way, so I am assuming I definitely have to adjust that, even thought I am a little concerned about that because prior to the brake and rotor swap I could pull it up a bit and it would skid the car quite easily. Now the car will gradually slow down over about 100 feet (going about 20 mph) which is definitely a problem. For recompressing the rear brake pistons I borrowed the tool from autozone and twisted clockwise and compressed until it was fully up and wasn't moving anymore. I know I did this correctly on both sides, although before I knew it was a twist in I was using a c clamp quite aggressively on both sides. I am assuming though that I didn't damage the caliper because I have the same weak braking on both sides of the car. So could the problem just be that I haven't backed up at high speed and slammed on the brakes? Also how could the hand brake have gotten so lose. I didn't undo it from the caliper when I took it off for service by the way. Thank you for everyones help, including pierremcalpine.

Old 03-01-2015, 04:31 PM
Default Still having problems

I took the car to a mechanic to inspect it and all he could tell me was the pads were a bit smaller than typical volvo pads (I bought them at autozone). He did say that I hadn't overtightened the guide pins which was relieving. I don't think this would be the problem entirely because the pads that were used before are the same size as the ones that I just put in. The handbrake can be pulled up all the way, so I am assuming I definitely have to adjust that, even thought I am a little concerned about that because prior to the brake and rotor swap I could pull it up a bit and it would skid the car quite easily. Now the car will gradually slow down over about 100 feet (going about 20 mph) which is definitely a problem. For recompressing the rear brake pistons I borrowed the tool from autozone and twisted clockwise and compressed until it was fully up and wasn't moving anymore. I know I did this correctly on both sides, although before I knew it was a twist in I was using a c clamp quite aggressively on both sides. I am assuming though that I didn't damage the caliper because I have the same weak braking on both sides of the car. So could the problem just be that I haven't backed up at high speed and slammed on the brakes? Also how could the hand brake have gotten so lose. I didn't undo it from the caliper when I took it off for service by the way. Thank you for everyones help, including pierremcalpine.

Old 03-03-2015, 08:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you check the condition of the 'e' brake (handbrake) shoes and linings that are housed inside the drum area of the rear rotors?
Maybe they were due for replacing as well as the rear disc pads.

Old 03-08-2015, 08:57 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No shoes on the x40's - the hb mech is fully integrated with the regular brakes via a threaded caliper hence the need for a special tool when rewinding the caliper back for pad replacements.