Go Back   Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum > Volvo Vehicles > Volvo V50
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Volvo Forums!
Welcome to Volvo Forums,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Volvo Forums today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-28-2010, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by probbier1 View Post
This is what I paid out to fix the problem:

100 for the diagnostic charge.
116 for the "gas leak" update(was not required however it was throwing a CEL).
125 for the much needed battery(purchased from auto zone).

All of this was to fix the P0026 intake reset solenoid.

keep in mind that this P0026 code is a generic code and it does not correspond with any of the CEL's that volvo uses. The volvo code that I was handed was for the gas leak sensor, not the solenoid.

If you feel the need to check the solenoid:

you can pull the solenoid off and inspect it. It is located behind the Oil cap on the valve cover, looks like a roll of quaters sticking up out of the valve cover. It has one torx screw holding it in, you may have to pull pretty hard and maybe twist a little to get it out. clean it if necessary, then check the electrical connectors and make sure there is a small resistance across the two pins.
Is it easy to replace this solenoid? How much is it?
Old 11-05-2010, 06:41 AM

Well last night i replaced the vvt valve or solenoid or whatever you would like to call it and so far it is good. I was throwing a P0026 code and had pretty severe lack of acceleration from a dead start. otherwise the car ran fine. The volvo OEM part number is 36002687 and cost me $120 after core swap.

The solenoid is under the timing belt cover on the passenger side of the engine. Two torx screws removes the cover, than one torx screw removes the valve. Simple fix (if this is your problem)

Hopefully this info helps others. Good luck
Old 11-06-2010, 04:33 PM

Will this fit my 2005 s40 2.4i?

I took he old valve out and cleaned it but code came back after 10 minutes, so i take it that the valve is bad.

What brand did you buy?
Old 11-08-2010, 06:22 AM

I cleaned mine too and it did nothing. The valve visibilly looked perfect (no sludge buildup, nice and shiny. But I still haven't thrown that code (knock on wood) sinse it was replaced.

I used genuine OEM from volvo parts. I'm learning that volvo doesn't take well to aftermarket parts so if it is reasonable enough I'll buy direct from Volvo. This part was $120 after core swap and I have the exact car you do (2005 s40 2.4i non-turbo)
Old 11-08-2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motofrk75 View Post
I cleaned mine too and it did nothing. The valve visibilly looked perfect (no sludge buildup, nice and shiny. But I still haven't thrown that code (knock on wood) sinse it was replaced.

I used genuine OEM from volvo parts. I'm learning that volvo doesn't take well to aftermarket parts so if it is reasonable enough I'll buy direct from Volvo. This part was $120 after core swap and I have the exact car you do (2005 s40 2.4i non-turbo)
I called the dealership this morning and gave them the part number. It's $112 here but he didnt mention any core swap?

Im going to get this part and change it. I will report results once done. Hopefully the P0026 goes away and check engine turns off. Thats the only thing preventing me from getting an inspection sticker.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:44 AM

The volvo dealership did that to me too. Didn't mention any core swap until I actually paid for it. It was $112 over the phone, then $140 when I picked it up. Core was only $20.

As for your other question I would say fix what you know is broken (i.e. a/c pulley) and if it does not solve the problem then you know the next step. It doesn't seem completely unreasonable that it would cause that code, I guess it depends on the severity of the pulley damage.

Good luck
Old 11-10-2010, 10:15 AM

THe pulley makes a loud noise almost screeching sometimes but when the mechanic did his work he took the belt off and spun the pulley, sounded pretty bad. SO my thought was that the bad pulley might be throwing the code since it's connected to the crankshaft belt and wiggling.

I'll try to get the pulley changed first and see if the code goes away.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:54 PM

Thumbs up Solenoid reset valve changed

No more check engine lights !!!!

I changed the solenoid reset valve today (took 5 minutes), cleared the codes and check engine didnt come back. I drove about 60 miles after changing the reset valve.

I can finally go for an inspection. I still have to change the AC compressor. IT works but i fear the bearing is gone. After taking the belt off and starting the car, it was very quiet and I spun the compressor manually and heard the grinding sound. So I'm looking for a used working compressor. I just don't have $550 to spare for it. I have gone through so much expenses fixing this car. If anyone know of a place online i can get a refurb one, that would be great.

I started with 6 check engine codes when i first joined the forum.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:54 PM

Tags
1, bank, circuit, code, control, intake, p0026, performance, rangeperformance, s40, s60, solenoid, v50, valve, volvo