Volvo V50 A sports wagon that is affordable, sporty and best of all, useful for almost anything.

Odd electrical behavior on opening Passenger Window

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 12:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd electrical behavior on opening Passenger Window

Hi All -

I have been having a problem with my 06 V50 T5 for a while now. It is intermittent, but sometimes when I roll the front passenger side window down (LHD), I lose all gauges, wipers come on, no climate control, nothing electrical works, but car is perfectly driveable. If I disconnect the battery and go through the reboot sequence, I can restore everything back to normal. I really think there is some linkage here, since I don't recall it EVER happening when I don't have the window fully down. I've even tested it with the window part way down, and no problems.

Until last week. My SRS service indicator came on while driving down the road. Had the pass window partially open. A battery disconnect wouldn't put it out. Put it on the VIDA reader and had about 6 codes for the SRS system, none of which made sense. Reset it all, and it was fine for a few starts and stops, but then, driving home, lowered the pass window partially, and SRS light comes on. Reset the codes again, and have not had another SRS indicator since -- and have not lowered the window at all.

Replaced the CEM about a year ago to try to address the full gauge failure problem. Car seems to be fine... as long as I don't lower the front passenger window. I'm at a bit of a loss as to where to even begin looking, as it seems like there shouldn't be that kind of cause and effect relationship because of a simple window motor.

Local Volvo place says "code says steering column, so we have to replace it." They seem very fixated on just what the code says, despite the fact that once the SRS light was reset, it hasn't come back on in over a weeks worth of driving (and I have not opened the passenger front window.) They already got a CEM replacement out of me for similar problems, so I'm not just going to blindly accept the diagnosis this time.

Would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions!

Thanks!

Jeff

Old 12-12-2016, 08:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you've got VIDA, look at the operating voltage after ~30 minutes on battery. Any time I hear crazy things, my first reaction is "old battery" or corroded connections. In my case, a corroded connection on a new battery resulted in spitting CD's and side windows self-operating.

Vida can be quite specific; I would track down each of the items VIDA notes and be positive they were dealt with.