Volvo V50 A sports wagon that is affordable, sporty and best of all, useful for almost anything.

Is it possible to replace stock radio

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 03:59 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is it possible to replace stock radio

I would like to update our radio in the 2007 V50. The CD head unit is dead and instead of spending $100 on ebay I would rather replace the entire radio/head unit with a more up to date unit.

Is it possible and where do I go to buy it?

Old 07-31-2016, 10:14 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It can be done but you would need to relocate the ICM since it is the display for the climate control and vehicle settings as well as the stereo. I have seen posts on other forums where folks have relocated the ICM to the roof console or if you have the Premium Sound System center speaker location.

There has also been talk of a direct replacement headunit.
Possible New Head Unit for P1 Cars

My bluepower stereo has arrived

Stan

Old 08-05-2016, 08:57 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the info.

I read a lot of the posts and it seems to be a maybe - maybe not situation. I was looking at my friends new Lexus and the head unit (like many other cars) is very nice. That is great now but the day it dies I am guessing proprietary technology will tie him to purchasing a Lexus OEM unit.

One of our cars, the beater car is a Subaru Outback. It doesn't look or drive like a beater, it is just what we use to pick tuff up for the house / yard, etc.

I installed a very nice third party unit in the Subbie. The kit came with everything needed to hook into the system. I had to solder the wires on the connector that was needed but other than that it was mechanics. The difference with the Subbie head unit doesn't report information in fan speed, temperature settings, etc. But the OEM unit didn't give out that information so that is one benefit of an older car.

Originally Posted by AutoNaut
It can be done but you would need to relocate the ICM since it is the display for the climate control and vehicle settings as well as the stereo. I have seen posts on other forums where folks have relocated the ICM to the roof console or if you have the Premium Sound System center speaker location.

There has also been talk of a direct replacement headunit.
Possible New Head Unit for P1 Cars

My bluepower stereo has arrived

Stan